Icons, wrong or not?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2009
Peace be upon you.
First of all i would like you to understand that, the matter is not that im right and you are wrong because GOD is right. The matter is that we have to follow his Holy Words, we can not bend it to fit our lives or to make it easier for us to live by his Words, but we HAVE to follow his Holy Words just as they are.

Icons, is that right? Should a person have icons or images at all? Lets see what GOD himself says.
First of all, lets take a look at IDOLS. This is what the LORD says.

Exodus 20:4
"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.

So what about images?

Isaiah 42:8
I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

Now if you noticed, many religions have PICTURES of a man whom they believe is Jesus. The picture is of a MAN. Lets take a look what Lord GOD says about this.

Deuteronomy 4:15-17
Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the LORD spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire: Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, The likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air,

If you have any questions or such, you may mail me. I have answers for everything.

Apr 13, 2009
A note aswell;

Jesus Christ once says that you should carry your cross. Many people think that he means a cross as a necklass or such. He does not mean that. He means that you shall suffer everyday just like he did. For example if you are a Christian and people make fun of you, then you change your beliefs to avoid this, then you will have thrown down your cross. All the sons and daughters of God will bear their cross and suffer through life.

Jan 31, 2009
I wished that people that thought they knew the law would really study the law. if that is what they want to live by :Joh 1:17For the LAW was given by Moses, but GRACE and truth came by Jesus Christ.

for something to be an Idol it has to be WORSHIPPED, same with CHRISTMAS TREES. If we break one law we break them all.

if your definition of an idol is a shape or image of anything Pictures, icons, then why did God have the serpent fixed to heal snake bites. It is only an Idol referred as to being wrong with, when we worship it or Put it before our Lord God.

Ex 20:3Thou shalt have no other gods before me.Ex 20:4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:Ex 20:5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God,

Nu 21:5And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.Nu 21:6And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.Nu 21:7Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.Nu 21:8And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.Nu 21:9And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

I guess you will have to wait til you see God and ask him why He told us not to have idols then gave His people one to be healed by, in the meantime it might help if we all studied His Word a lot more. anything we put before God is an Idol any man made laws can be wrong before God

Status
Not open for further replies.