Idea(s) Astray: Before the New Year

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

IDEAtor

Senior Member
Aug 15, 2012
827
19
18
A new year is approaching, faster than a Japanese bullet train. The well-wishes of 2013 are buried under 2014, as 2014 itself becomes another memory. In some ways this is a good reality. In other ways, it is the sad truth reminded. Time flies.

Regardless of if fun is experienced, time has a way of skipping like a bad record.
We think we are listening intently, only to find the CD is over. We can play it again, or... Or we can play something different. Something better has got to be found. If not, then it is up to us to create something better. Isn't that the New Year's motif? "How can I do better?"

Like it or hate it, I need to make some changes in 2015. Save 2015, there are changes that are needed in my world and the world at large, this very second. This brings me to my intention for this journal entry, to lay out a soft plan for some solid change.

I am not trying to set myself up for disappointment or make a grandiose claim to achievement. Rather, this is just one person's attempt to stay honest and motivated.

Everyone who knows me says that they see amazing growth in my life, growth that I do not sense all that much. But I need to praise God for the people who see God's improvement in my life. Still, I have areas that I want improved. Trusting God, these are some of them (again).

1) Consistency -- I am not all that consistent in diet, exercise, devotional habit, and the list goes on. This is what this online journal's main purpose is for me, to practice consistency. And even the blog is neglected at times.

2) Diet Journal -- I am not going to make a lofty goal to lose pounds or get buff. I am, however, aiming to record my eating habits in a journal for self-evaluation. This will directly impact my purchases and how I eat. Again, it is not a means to the perfect body. It is just practicing a healthier habit.

3) Exercise Journal -- The purpose is to be intentional with physical upkeep. It will include "walk around block" "read on tread" "hoops" "juggle" and then some more technical challenges.

4) Offline Reading -- I love reading articles on so many subjects, but I do a poor job of reading books for leisure. I read for devotions, but even that is sub-par in effort.

5) Intentionally for Others -- I want to step up my hospitality, in all areas of my life.

6) Sharpen Skills -- I will set aside 30 minutes each day to intentionally work on a skill I want to improve. Each week will be devoted to one activity. Example: I have a guitar that I mean to learn.

7) Help roomy find a woman -- I have a friend who has set a goal to meet a woman who will serve with him in life and ministry. I want to help him with this challenge and desire. This means, I will be more intentional in praying for a spouse for him and asking him questions to get him thinking.

8) Develop small groups at church -- I am not the go-to person on this front, but it naturally happens that I find myself getting people together to interact and grow.
That said, I want to be proactive in setting up opportunities for small group meetups.
(I am still seeking God's will on my level of involvement)


9) Help someone record his or her story -- As a side project, I would love to help a family member record his or her story, so it can be shared for others to appreciate their journey a bit more. I am not even a rookie at this, so I expect a slow start. But this is one of my life-long dreams: to write a book. It is time to actualize what I have imagined.

10) Learn a language -- God has given me a gift to pick up language learning. Therefore, I need to utilize and fine-tune said gift. It is easy to learn, it is hard to retain. Starting this week, I will keep a language journal at my desk.

Honorable mentions: Cartooning, Poetry, Soccer, Radio/Voice-over, Building/Carpentry

Well, here is to what God has already done and continues to do.
Here is to our transitioning to 2015.
Here is to something better.


--IDEA