"If we are bound by our desires, in that as sinners we can’t help but sin..

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Johann

Apr 12, 2022
"If we are bound by our desires, in that as sinners we can’t help but sin...what about Adam & Eve? Were they created free, innocent, and/or predetermined to sin?" - Tony Vance, @TonyVance1966

Thanks for the excellent question Tony! I take it you heard our latest podcast “Corporate or Individual Election?” where I discussed my view of compatibilist freedom. For those who did not hear the show I’ll give a quick background. There are differing philosophical views on human freedom and, in my opinion, whichever one is correct really needs to resolve the totality of Scriptural characterizations of God’s control and human freedom. On the one hand God appears to have deterministic control in all things (Job 42:2; Lamentations 3:37; Daniel 4:35), on the other we appear to have freedom to choose (Exodus 8:2; Deuteronomy 30:17-18; Luke 7:30). A number of explanations have been proposed that attempt to resolve all of these passages. There are two that we mentioned on the show.

The compatibilist view of freedom I’ve referred to (typically held by a number of Calvinists) is essentially the notion that people have a freedom insofar as they do what they most want to do in any given circumstance. But, and this is the important qualifier, people do not have the freedom to do otherwise. In this view both God’s sovereign deterministic control over His creation remains as well as our freedom to choose.

The compatibilist view stands in contrast to typical libertarian freedom (usually held by Arminians and Molinists) which is the notion that people have freedom to do what they want and they have the freedom to do otherwise. In this view God has decided to limit His sovereign control in order to keep from infringing on human decision-making. In other words, for the libertarians, freedom has two defining characteristics (the freedom to do X and the freedom to do otherwise) and, for the compatibilists, freedom is constrained to only the one characteristic (the freedom to do X).

In the show I mentioned that a stumbling block for me with regard to the libertarian view of freedom is that it posits a type of decision-making that cannot be determined by anything save the agent’s choice; that is, one cannot be “pushed” into doing something because of past events or even one’s own disposition or prior mental states. For example, even if I knew that I am the type of person who always loses his temper on the road when someone cuts me off, under the libertarian view, I have to believe that for every instance in the future where I am cut off I have the libertarian freedom to remain perfectly calm. Even though I might be greatly influenced by prior events or mental states, the libertarian view still holds that I am disengaged from past events in such a manner that my reaction one way or the other is really a gamble. In philosophical circles there are a number of ways to cash this out and try to deal with it, but in the end it is understood to be a significant problem with the libertarian view. Why? Because not only is it unclear (in terms of specifics) how one truly makes a decision given the libertarian definition it is also unclear as to how God can know what anyone will do in the future, since indeterminism is a necessary component of decision-making.

As I mentioned on the show, all the Arminians/Molinists I’ve heard (including William Lane Craig) simply assert that God knows future decisions given the libertarian view even though they have no explanation as to how that is even possible. Now, let me just say, it is possible that God does know this and libertarian freedom is true. But I don’t see how appealing to mystery on this is a sufficient explanation for the Arminian/Molinist. Nor do I see how the Arminian/Molinist has a sufficient explanation for the passages of Scripture that appear to show God’s deterministic control. Under my view, however, I do have a sufficient explanation. We are determined by what we most want to do in any given circumstance. This explains how we will never choose God because we are dead in our sins (Romans 3:11-12; Ephesians 2:5) how God knows the future by our determined actions since He knows the secrets of our heart (Psalm 44:21; Jeremiah 17:10), i.e. what we most want to do.

I don’t want to digress too far so I’ll stop here. But I think it is important to explain my view because of your excellent question, Tony. That is, you asked, given my constrained view of human freedom (that is compatible with God’s deterministic control), do I believe Adam and Eve were free or predetermined to sin? I think they were not predetermined. I think they were free to either refrain from sinning or to sin. But then the question is: What do I mean by free? I do not believe Adam and Eve possessed the second characteristic of libertarian freedom, i.e. the ability to do otherwise. I believe they had compatibilistic freedom; that is, they only had the ability to choose to do what they most wanted to do. Now, I don’t believe the biblical authors were attempting to unpack a philosophical definition of human freedom when recounting the Fall in the Bible. So the Scriptural details to work with on this issue are a bit hazy. However, I don’t see that it is necessary to propose that, because Adam and Eve had the ability to refrain from sin, they possessed the ability to choose to do otherwise than what they most wanted to do.In other words, logically prior to creation, God chose to create a world in which He knew but did not predetermine that Adam and Eve would eat the fruit. The reason He knew Adam and Eve’s future decision is because

He thoroughly knew Adam and Eve and

Adam and Eve were constrained in their freedom by what they most wanted to do.

However under their particular constraints was a greater freedom, the ability to sin or to not sin. And, as I said, it’s not necessary to propose that Adam and Eve possessed the ability to do otherwise than what they most wanted just because God granted them a unique ability that, as you mentioned, we do not have as their descendants (without God’s grace). Perhaps this seems counterintuitive from our perspective; that is, whenever we speak about the freedom to do otherwise, it usually refers to the ability to refrain from sin. And now I'm saying that Adam and Eve had the ability to refrain from sin but was still only free to do what they most wanted to do. I think it's important to understand the distinction between having the ability to choose to do otherwise than what you most want and how that specifically applies to each particular decision we are faced with. If we see the distinction then I think it becomes clear that there's nothing wrong with saying that Adam and Eve could have refrained from sin if and only if that had been their greatest desire in the moment.

Thus, Adam and Eve’s decisions were free in the compatibilistic sense, i.e. determined by their greatest desire, which God knew would be to eat the fruit before He created the world.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
what about Adam & Eve? Were they created free, innocent, and/or predetermined to sin?"
Adam and Eve were of the natural world.

Mar 4, 2024
"If we are bound by our desires, in that as sinners we can’t help but sin...what about Adam & Eve? Were they created free, innocent, and/or predetermined to sin?" - Tony Vance, @TonyVance1966

Thanks for the excellent question Tony! I take it you heard our latest podcast “Corporate or Individual Election?” where I discussed my view of compatibilist freedom. For those who did not hear the show I’ll give a quick background. There are differing philosophical views on human freedom and, in my opinion, whichever one is correct really needs to resolve the totality of Scriptural characterizations of God’s control and human freedom. On the one hand God appears to have deterministic control in all things (Job 42:2; Lamentations 3:37; Daniel 4:35), on the other we appear to have freedom to choose (Exodus 8:2; Deuteronomy 30:17-18; Luke 7:30). A number of explanations have been proposed that attempt to resolve all of these passages. There are two that we mentioned on the show.

The compatibilist view of freedom I’ve referred to (typically held by a number of Calvinists) is essentially the notion that people have a freedom insofar as they do what they most want to do in any given circumstance. But, and this is the important qualifier, people do not have the freedom to do otherwise. In this view both God’s sovereign deterministic control over His creation remains as well as our freedom to choose.

The compatibilist view stands in contrast to typical libertarian freedom (usually held by Arminians and Molinists) which is the notion that people have freedom to do what they want and they have the freedom to do otherwise. In this view God has decided to limit His sovereign control in order to keep from infringing on human decision-making. In other words, for the libertarians, freedom has two defining characteristics (the freedom to do X and the freedom to do otherwise) and, for the compatibilists, freedom is constrained to only the one characteristic (the freedom to do X).

In the show I mentioned that a stumbling block for me with regard to the libertarian view of freedom is that it posits a type of decision-making that cannot be determined by anything save the agent’s choice; that is, one cannot be “pushed” into doing something because of past events or even one’s own disposition or prior mental states. For example, even if I knew that I am the type of person who always loses his temper on the road when someone cuts me off, under the libertarian view, I have to believe that for every instance in the future where I am cut off I have the libertarian freedom to remain perfectly calm. Even though I might be greatly influenced by prior events or mental states, the libertarian view still holds that I am disengaged from past events in such a manner that my reaction one way or the other is really a gamble. In philosophical circles there are a number of ways to cash this out and try to deal with it, but in the end it is understood to be a significant problem with the libertarian view. Why? Because not only is it unclear (in terms of specifics) how one truly makes a decision given the libertarian definition it is also unclear as to how God can know what anyone will do in the future, since indeterminism is a necessary component of decision-making.

As I mentioned on the show, all the Arminians/Molinists I’ve heard (including William Lane Craig) simply assert that God knows future decisions given the libertarian view even though they have no explanation as to how that is even possible. Now, let me just say, it is possible that God does know this and libertarian freedom is true. But I don’t see how appealing to mystery on this is a sufficient explanation for the Arminian/Molinist. Nor do I see how the Arminian/Molinist has a sufficient explanation for the passages of Scripture that appear to show God’s deterministic control. Under my view, however, I do have a sufficient explanation. We are determined by what we most want to do in any given circumstance. This explains how we will never choose God because we are dead in our sins (Romans 3:11-12; Ephesians 2:5) how God knows the future by our determined actions since He knows the secrets of our heart (Psalm 44:21; Jeremiah 17:10), i.e. what we most want to do.

I don’t want to digress too far so I’ll stop here. But I think it is important to explain my view because of your excellent question, Tony. That is, you asked, given my constrained view of human freedom (that is compatible with God’s deterministic control), do I believe Adam and Eve were free or predetermined to sin? I think they were not predetermined. I think they were free to either refrain from sinning or to sin. But then the question is: What do I mean by free? I do not believe Adam and Eve possessed the second characteristic of libertarian freedom, i.e. the ability to do otherwise. I believe they had compatibilistic freedom; that is, they only had the ability to choose to do what they most wanted to do. Now, I don’t believe the biblical authors were attempting to unpack a philosophical definition of human freedom when recounting the Fall in the Bible. So the Scriptural details to work with on this issue are a bit hazy. However, I don’t see that it is necessary to propose that, because Adam and Eve had the ability to refrain from sin, they possessed the ability to choose to do otherwise than what they most wanted to do.In other words, logically prior to creation, God chose to create a world in which He knew but did not predetermine that Adam and Eve would eat the fruit. The reason He knew Adam and Eve’s future decision is because

However under their particular constraints was a greater freedom, the ability to sin or to not sin. And, as I said, it’s not necessary to propose that Adam and Eve possessed the ability to do otherwise than what they most wanted just because God granted them a unique ability that, as you mentioned, we do not have as their descendants (without God’s grace). Perhaps this seems counterintuitive from our perspective; that is, whenever we speak about the freedom to do otherwise, it usually refers to the ability to refrain from sin. And now I'm saying that Adam and Eve had the ability to refrain from sin but was still only free to do what they most wanted to do. I think it's important to understand the distinction between having the ability to choose to do otherwise than what you most want and how that specifically applies to each particular decision we are faced with. If we see the distinction then I think it becomes clear that there's nothing wrong with saying that Adam and Eve could have refrained from sin if and only if that had been their greatest desire in the moment.

Thus, Adam and Eve’s decisions were free in the compatibilistic sense, i.e. determined by their greatest desire, which God knew would be to eat the fruit before He created the world.
Whew, man, that’s a lot of writing

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023

God sets the time of this world, is one way to look at it friend 😊.

For instance God could set our time in our world, one year before his time.

So he knows what where going to do before we do it.

God is God brother,.and his spirit is everywhere, it could be in different worlds at different times.

Only his time is ahead of ours.

When you look at it this way, it is not fatalism, it is not God setting the future.

It is simply God being ahead of our time.

For many reasons this could be done.

Johann

Apr 12, 2022
Whew, man, that’s a lot of writing
But graciously released by our Admins and this is forcing me to study a little more enthusiastically on-

“Corporate or Individual Election?”

On the one hand God appears to have deterministic control in all things (Job 42:2; Lamentations 3:37; Daniel 4:35), on the other we appear to have freedom to choose (Exodus 8:2; Deuteronomy 30:17-18; Luke 7:30).

Libertarian freedom (usually held by Arminians and Molinists) which is the notion that people have freedom to do what they want and they have the freedom to do otherwise. In this view God has decided to limit His sovereign control in order to keep from infringing on human decision-making. In other words, for the libertarians, freedom has two defining characteristics (the freedom to do X and the freedom to do otherwise) and, for the compatibilists, freedom is constrained to only the one characteristic (the freedom to do X).

So-

Nor do I see how the Arminian/Molinist has a sufficient explanation for the passages of Scripture that appear to show God’s deterministic control. Under my view, however, I do have a sufficient explanation. We are determined by what we most want to do in any given circumstance. This explains how we will never choose God because we are dead in our sins (Romans 3:11-12; Ephesians 2:5) how God knows the future by our determined actions since He knows the secrets of our heart (Psalm 44:21; Jeremiah 17:10), i.e. what we most want to do.

It is back to the drawing board for me-searching the Scriptures to see IF these things are Scriptural.

I am not interested to members just dismissing the Reformers as "heretics" and claim that their doctrines are correct-which is the Arminian worldview.
Shalom
J.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
I see that you have another thread on per-determination but Adam and Eve were created with free-will to obey and trust God or to explore another option.

An analogy here is when my grandmother told me not to put my hand near the stove when i was 5 years old.
Not only i didn't listen to her or completely ignored her but i thought that she is just making things up.

When i put my hand on the stove and then it burned, i learned more about my actions and words that the others (who love you) say.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Adam and Eve were of the natural world.
Yet they could communicate directly and face-to-face with God, and God could communicate directly and face-to-face with them. They were also both direct creations of God, and Adam is called "the son of God" (Luke 3:38). Speculation about Adam and Eve is fruitless, but we do know that they both had the ability to choose between right and wrong, between obedience and disobedience.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I am not interested to members just dismissing the Reformers as "heretics" and claim that their doctrines are correct-which is the Arminian worldview.
One does not have to be an "Arminian" to recognize the falsity of TULIP, Calvinism, Reformed Theology (call it what you will) in connection with salvation. But the Westminster Confession of Faith also has many other teachings, and many of them are perfectly fine.

The influence of Augustine regarding salvation was the downfall of the Reformers. "Augustine was the greatest single influence on Calvin, whose own account of predestination molded and terrified millions through the Protestant centuries. The Augustinian understanding of human depravity has continued to inform our understanding of human psychology even in a post‐Christian era." And Martin Luther went overboard with his Bondage of the Will theory.

So essentially it is the DOCTRINES OF MEN which shaped Calvinism. And the Lord Jesus Christ says that the doctrines of men nullify the Word of God.

Johann

Apr 12, 2022
I see that you have another thread on per-determination but Adam and Eve were created with free-will to obey and trust God or to explore another option.

An analogy here is when my grandmother told me not to put my hand near the stove when i was 5 years old.
Not only i didn't listen to her or completely ignored her but i thought that she is just making things up.

When i put my hand on the stove and then it burned, i learned more about my actions and words that the others (who love you) say.
I'm still learning brother and I love your analogies-reminds me of this-

Heb_10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
Heb_10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Psa_40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.
Psa_143:10 Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.

I also love the way Wuest explains it- "Our will/boule/thelema is, or should be wholly swallowed up in the sweet will of God and our Lord Jesus Christ"-in your response to my other post you said our will is limited and correct you are since our will cannot "will" independently and apart from Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Shalom
Johann.

Johann

Apr 12, 2022
One does not have to be an "Arminian" to recognize the falsity of TULIP, Calvinism, Reformed Theology (call it what you will) in connection with salvation. But the Westminster Confession of Faith also has many other teachings, and many of them are perfectly fine.

The influence of Augustine regarding salvation was the downfall of the Reformers. "Augustine was the greatest single influence on Calvin, whose own account of predestination molded and terrified millions through the Protestant centuries. The Augustinian understanding of human depravity has continued to inform our understanding of human psychology even in a post‐Christian era." And Martin Luther went overboard with his Bondage of the Will theory.

So essentially it is the DOCTRINES OF MEN which shaped Calvinism. And the Lord Jesus Christ says that the doctrines of men nullify the Word of God.
I disagree-so agree to disagree.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yet they could communicate directly and face-to-face with God, and God could communicate directly and face-to-face with them. They were also both direct creations of God, and Adam is called "the son of God" (Luke 3:38). Speculation about Adam and Eve is fruitless, but we do know that they both had the ability to choose between right and wrong, between obedience and disobedience.
I was not speculating. However, you were defending speculating about Adam and Eve just yesterday. You should make up your mind.

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
I don’t like the theological terms involved. It is better to just go by what Scripture says.

First, one must understand that God could not hold us accountable at a Judgment if we could not escape sin in some way. If a robot was programmed to kill, and it had no other programming to do otherwise, and the robot went on trial for killing, it really would not be much of a judgment. In this case, the Judgment would be a joke or a farce. The Judgment is about condemning man for what he could have done otherwise. God has to hold us accountable at a Judgment. If not, then it would be like a master kicking his dog across the room like a football because it has an uncontrollable pooping problem because it is sick. Is God really like that? I cannot imagine that because the Scriptures say God is good.

Second, Jesus did not think men would not be held accountable because they were hopelessly enslaved to sin their whole life.
In Matthew 23:37 it says, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!” The NLT says I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me.” Did you catch that? Jesus says, you wouldn’t let me. Jesus did not blame some uncontrollable sinful condition. This is why people just need to read the Bible and get away from such theological terms.
2 Thessalonians 2:10 says that the wicked perish because they received not the love of the truth that they might be saved.
So the blame does not fall on some sinful enslavement that they cannot escape unless God randomly zaps them to no longer be a slave to sin because He was feeling gracious that day.

Yet, on the other hand, I am aware that there are things in Scripture that make it appear like man may not sometimes have free will to do certain things or operate solely by his own strength towards God or the things of God. For example: Lydia’s heart was opened to hear the gospel message. Jesus says no man can come unto me unless the Father draws Him. Jesus says the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. This is why Jesus tells us to pray so as not to be led into temptation. So the solution is God. I believe there are key moments in time when God breaks the chains for a person to see and accept the truth of God’s grace, and then they have free will to accept Him or not. Even as Christians we cannot do things without God. It is Christ living in us that does the good work (Of which we can do nothing). We have to rely on God and His power, and strength to do what normal men cannot do. To put away the sinful nature? Can man alone do that? No. But with God, all things are possible. Galatians says they that are Christ’s have crucified the affections and lusts. Are you on that path? Or are you enslaved to sin? You don’t have to be if you seek God’s help every minute and every second of each day. Renounce the things of this world, and follow Jesus Christ. That is what this life is about. Jesus. Jesus is our Creator and Savior and He deserves nothing less because He died for the sins of the whole world, and to offer mankind the free gift of eternal life.

Jesus loves us deeply and He wants us to be free in Him walking uprightly.

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
Think. In the story of Samson, do you think it was his own strength that took down the pillars? No. Samson prayed and God again gave him the strength by power and working of the Spirit to take those pillars down. No human could take those pillars down. Only the power of God could do that. The same is true involving our walk with God. We cannot do what man alone cannot do. But with God, all things are possible. We must realize that God desires all men to be saved. God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to the knowledge of the truth. Only be relying on His strength and power can we take down the pillars.

If the impossible weight of sin is upon you, Jesus can take that away.
One does not have to remain in the quicksand of sin.
Cry out to God and ask for His help and He will set you free.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

Yeah free Will is part of mans design it’s why God consistently tells them the truth he knows lies will come later and create two options or a choice between the truth and a lie

That way they are capable and know what to do when the choice appears the only thing required is that they believe what he said is the truth

a man could live forever if they believed and walked after what he said is true and rejected the things telling them it isn’t like Adam and Eve didn’t do

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
I believe the best term here is Synergism. It’s a walk. It’s not all God who makes us the way we are. Yet, it is not by our own power and might alone that can overcome sin in this life. We need God to do that. We are not our heroes of our story. Jesus is the real hero here. The Scriptures say that he that thinks he is something when he is nothing deceives himself. Jesus says you can do nothing without me. So I believe God reveals to us His free gift in His timing, and we are responsible in accepting that gift of our free will choice. Then, we have to continue to cooperate with God to do good. We cannot on our own power and might do good without Him.

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
But before any person can do any good by the power of Christ, they have to be saved by God’s grace genuinely. There had to have been a radical heart change in your life by God whereby you see that you became a new person. If this has not happened to you, then believe that Jesus died for your sins, He was buried, and risen the third day according to the Scriptures (1 Corinthians 15:1-5). This is the gospel message that saves. Then call out to Jesus save you and forgive you of your past life of sins and that you will make a commitment in serving Him and not yourself anymore. Give up your old man and follow Jesus alone and not the things of this world. Sell out to Christ and follow His Word completely. Then you will notice another transformation in your life. It’s not easy, but all things in life that are good are worth fighting for, though.