If you do not understand grace ...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

There maybe no mention of those exact words in that passage but why did you stop at verse 9, as you need the rest after that which goes with it;

2 Peter 1:9-12

For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble;

For so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth.

Apostle Peter says if you do those things then an entrance will be supplied to you into the kingdom of Christ, as in you will receive eternal life. And he says to always be reminded of these things so that you may be established in the truth !!!

did you notice you took Peter's phrase 'abundant entrance' and reduced it to 'entrance' as if one will have no entrance.
It's this crafty subtle word twisting of yours which I hate. Quit Scripture twisting to prove your errors.

2 Peter 1:11 (KJV) For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The so called 'carnal' christian may not have an abundant entrance but he will have an entrance. ..even if as by fire.

1 Corinthians 3:15 (KJV) If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Last edited:
I

Is

did you notice you took Peter's phrase 'abundant entrance' and reduced it to 'entrance' as if one will have no entrance.
It's this crafty subtle word twisting of yours which I hate. Quit Scripture twisting to prove your errors.

2 Peter 1:11 (KJV) For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The so called 'carnal' christian may not have an abundant entrance but he will have an entrance. ..even if as by fire.

1 Corinthians 3:15 (KJV) If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
Can you tell me what the difference is between

2 Peter 1:11 (KJV) For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly
and

For so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly
Looks to me like Kenneth has abundant in his post.

V

Viligant_Warrior

Rev 2 --Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.
Kayla, you've taken this verse out of context. First of all, this is Christ's letter, through John, to the church at Ephesus. It is not written to an individual.

Second, the issue is how they conduct themselves as a church, not whether or not they have sinned.

Revelation 2, NASB
2 'I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot * tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false;
3 and you have perseverance and have endured for My name's sake, and have not grown weary.
4 'But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.

Then comes the statement in verse five, which in this context, means that the pastor ("lampstand") will be removed for his failure to properly render the message and service of God to the community.

Heb 3---Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Clearly, this is a warning to be certain of your faith -- "take heed ... lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief ... " Given the fact we are justified and sanctified -- made righteous, and set aside in holiness -- the instant we believe, this is a cautionary statement against the very thing I warn those who claim otherwise: Rejection of the Gospel that tells us works for the purpose of obtaining or maintaining salvation are useless, and that salvation comes only through faith alone, by God's grace alone.

1 Tim---Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.
Please take no offense at this, Kayla, but this is precisely the kind of selective, out-of-context quotation of Scripture I rail against. The passage must be taken in light of the verses both before and after.

1 Timothy 3
By common confession, great is the mystery of godliness: He who was revealed in the flesh, Was vindicated in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Proclaimed among the nations, Believed on in the world, Taken up in glory.
1 Timothy 4
1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
2 by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
3 men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully * shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude;
5 for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

This refers to the rejection of the truth by fallen man, that Christ is revealed as Savior and Lord. It has nothing to do with the belief of the individual, or the function of the church.

Eze 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.
This refers to righteousness under the Law, Moses' Law, a law of outward behavior, not the law of the circumcised heart belonging to the believer in Christ. Old Testament verses seldom relate to New Testament salvation, and this one does not.

2Peter 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
Before I simply say, "another verse out of context," let me ask you how you can claim that one who is truly justified by Christ would ever by described as "a dog," or "a sow"? How does that make sense to you? You simply ignore the context, which centers on the issue of "knowledge," found in v.20. It must be understood in the context of the previous verses.

2 Peter 2
For speaking out arrogant words of vanity they entice by fleshly desires, by sensuality, those who barely escape from the ones who live in error,
19 promising them freedom while they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by what a man is overcome, by this he is enslaved.

Please explain to us, Kayla, how someone who belongs to Christ -- who as I've pointed out in the OP -- justifies us ("makes righteous") and sanctifies ("sets us apartfor holiness") is going to be also be enslaved to "what he has overcome" (v. 19). Note that it is the man who has overcome, not Christ. Or have you forgotten:

John 16
33 "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world."

"Knowledge" is not salvation. Salvation is only by faith alone, through grace alone.

Matthew 13:18-23
18 “Listen then to what the parable of the sower means:
19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path.
20 The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy.
21 But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away.
Mark 13:13 says:
[Jesus said] “All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Kayla, really?? Look again at v. 19. How does one "believe to salvation" if he doesn't even understand what he hears?

“Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul” (Hebrews 10:38-39).
I've rarely seen this verse cited, and while it offers some challenges, it nonetheless does not support your viewpoint either.

The Hebrew word arpe (para') as used in Habakkuk 2:4 and which is translated in the Septuagint as Paul does here, as upostello (hupostello) and rendered in the NASB as "shrink back," It signifies pride and haughtiness of heart, or impudence. The word speaks of one who escape to a place of safety from an enemy. He does not seek God for deliverance from danger, because he rejects the idea that God is able to provide it.

He swells with pride and confidence in his own righteousness, not that which, should he believe, would be imputed to him.Though he may attend an assembly of the saints, he does not see them as support or accountability. In fact, when in danger, he likely will feel the assembly with offer him only reproach and persecution. He rejects the truth, shuns those who declare it, and plays the hypocrite. He is, in short, a tare, deceitful in the things of saving faith.

“And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God” (Luke 9:62).
This verse has nothing to do with salvation. It speaks of the man who enters into ministry without having properly dealt with the emotional and intellectual attachment he has to his former life.

Again, no offense meant, Kayla, but none of these verses are properly set in their context, the accusation I always have against those who would attempt to prove they must work, behave, "do," for their salvation. And if these verses did say what you believe them to say, they would directly contradict Romans 3:19-26, and you should know that it is not possible
for God's word to contradict itself.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Can you tell me what the difference is between

and

Looks to me like Kenneth has abundant in his post.
Blue bubble post #21 reads ...
Apostle Peter says if you do those things then an entrance will be supplied to you into the kingdom of Christ, as in you will receive eternal life. And he says to always be reminded of these things so that you may be established in the truth !!!
That is Kenneth's twist.

Last edited:
I

Is

Blue bubble post #21 reads ...

That is Kenneth's twist.
Are you saying he is not putting enough emphasis on trusting the Person and the work of the Lord Jesus Christ?

Dec 9, 2011
Only by understanding grace can you understand sanctification.

I cannot be saved apart from grace and I cannot progress in my sanctification apart from grace. If I lean to my own understanding I will fall. As long as I trust Christ I will persevere. Through Christ I overcome. I run the race not to salvation but to sanctification and ultimate glorification with my Savior.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Colossians 2:6
king James version(KJV)

6.)As ye have therefore receivedChrist Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

V

Viligant_Warrior

Only by understanding grace can you understand sanctification.

I cannot be saved apart from grace and I cannot progress in my sanctification apart from grace. If I lean to my own understanding I will fall. As long as I trust Christ I will persevere. Through Christ I overcome. I run the race not to salvation but to sanctification and ultimate glorification with my Savior.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Amen, Roger. Well said.

Justification is God's act of removing the guilt and penalty of sin while at the same time declaring a sinner righteous through Christ's atoning sacrifice. Righteousness from God is being credited to the sinner's account through faith alone, without works.

Sanctification is instantaneous, as confirmed by Paul in his testimony before the synagogue in Antioch ...

Acts 13, NASB
38 "Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through Him forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you,
39 and through Him everyone who believes is freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the Law of Moses."

... but we also know that we still sin, from John's first epistle.

1 John 1
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

That’s why the Bible also refers to sanctification as a practical experience of our separation from the world and stepping further and further into our fellowship with God. This is called "progressive sanctification," and is the effect of obedience to the Word of God in one’s life. It is literally "growing in the Lord."

2 Peter 2
17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,
18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

There is a third sense in which the word sanctification is used in Scripture—a “complete” or “ultimate” sanctification. This is the same as glorification, when our transfigured bodies are lifted into heaven, either at our death or at the rapture, and we come face to face with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Halleluhjah! and Amen.

Last edited:

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Are you saying he is not putting enough emphasis on trusting the Person and the work of the Lord Jesus Christ?
No. Kenneth left out the word 'abundantly' leaving the impression that those who have little fruit have no entrance into heaven while those who have fruit have an entrance. Compared to those who have abundant fruit have an abundant entrance, while those who have meager fruit still have an entrance, albeit, not an abundant one.

Original--
2 Peter 1:8-11 (KJV)
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Kenneth--
2 Peter 1:8-11 (KJV)
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.