I'm confused! D:

• Thread starter BackFlipForward
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BackFlipForward

1. What's the difference between Heaven and paradise?
2. What's the difference between Hell and Hades?
3. Where do we go after death? Is it either paradise or Hades/Heaven or hell?
4. And what happened after Jesus died? Where did he go? Explain if the answer is Hades (what is that place)?

After reading some of the posts about Jesus talking on the guy on the cross next to him, I got kind of lost when people started talking about paradise and Hades.

B

Blood-Bought

1. Heaven and paradise in my mind are the same.
2. Hell and Hades are the same place. Hades is a word in the Bible used for Hell.
3. After death, we either go to Heaven or Hell.
4. Jesus was put in a tomb and resurrected after 3 days.

B

Blood-Bought

And remember, the above comment is what I believe, people may disagree.

E

eternally-gratefull

4. And what happened after Jesus died? Where did he go? Explain if the answer is Hades (what is that place)?

After reading some of the posts about Jesus talking on the guy on the cross next to him, I got kind of lost when people started talking about paradise and Hades.
Scripture acually speaks of three heavens

1. The heavenly abode where God is
2. The universe
3. The earths autmosphere

As for the difference between heaven an paradise in context. Paradise is where souls go after death, to await the ressurection. Heaven is where they will live with God after they are ressurected.

As for Hades vs Hell. Hades is the prison spoken of. where those dead to Christ go after death. Hades will be delevered to Christ for judgment (great white throne).
And will then be cast into hell

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
Jesus told the thief beside Him on the cross that "trully today you shall be with me in paradise". (Luke 23:43).

Paradise is not heaven. To the Hebrews, paradise was a section of Hades called Abraham's bosom, where the souls of the righteous went when they died. Some may question the existence of such a place, but the fact is that Jesus (His soul) was in Hades prior to His ascendancy to the Father in heaven. When Jesus died, He went to Hades, (Abraham's bosom).

Acts 2: 27 BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT ABANDON MY SOUL TO HADES, NOR ALLOW YOUR HOLY ONE TO UNDERGO DECAY.

You may want to interpret the above to mean that Jesus did not go to Hades at all. But consider this:

John 20: 15 Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping ? Whom are you seeking ?" Supposing Him to be the gardener, she said to Him, "Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have laid Him, and I will take Him away." 16 Jesus said to her, "Mary !" She turned and said to Him in Hebrew, "Rabboni !" (which means, Teacher ). 17 Jesus said to her, "Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father ; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.' " 18 Mary Magdalene came, announcing to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord," and that He had said these things to her.

When Mary talked to Jesus in the tomb, He told her that He had not yet ascended to the Father, so He certainly was not in heaven. Obviously this paradise Jesus spoke of is not heaven.

Ephesians 4: 8 Therefore it says, "WHEN HE ASCENDED ON HIGH, HE LED CAPTIVE A HOST OF CAPTIVES, AND HE GAVE GIFTS TO MEN." 9 (Now this expression, "He ascended," what does it mean except that He also had descended into the lower parts of the earth ?

Hades and hell are not the same thing.

Revelation 20: 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

If Hades and Hell are the same, how can you throw Hell into Hell (lake of fire)?

B

Blood-Bought

Superdave is correct about Hades and Hell not being the same thing -- my fault on that. Hades, if I'm not mistaken is translated to the word hell several times in the Bible? Correct me if I'm wrong, can't think of any specific verses. Hades is NOT the same as hell. Thanks for clarifying Superdave.

B

BackFlipForward

Thanks for all the answers. I think I get it now.

S

Shwagga

Hey,

1. I don't believe there is a difference between heaven and paradise. They are synonymous terms such along with "kingdom of God" and other various references to heaven.

2. It's not so much what the Greek word hades or Hebrew word sheol mean as much as the question; does the concept of hell appear in the Bible? Quite clearly, yes. (Matthew 25:41, for example). But a basic definition of hades and sheol would be underworld. There are other Greek words such as gehanna which comes from the Aramaic word gehinan which comes from the Hebrew word gen-hinon which is spoken of in Jeremiah as a garbage dump that would be on almost constant fire because they were burning trash and other things... But there is even debate amongst scholars if gehenna was even used as a garbage dump at the time of Jesus. In any case, Jesus was using this to illustrate or portray the image of fiery judgment which was and is common in contemporary Jewish thought.

3. Hades does not mean heaven so these terms are not synonymous with one another, but yes after death we either go to heaven or to hell as Hebrews 9:27 says "and as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment" and 2 Corinthians 5:8 "We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord."

4. Jesus died and yes went to Hades, the underworld which was separated into Abraham's bosom (Luke 16) and the place of torment (Luke 16). Revelation 1:18 "I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death." Also, check out 1 Peter 3:18-22 and Ephesians 4:8-10. More importantly than where He went, He was raised from the dead! Praise God.

Hope that helps, please let me know if you want me to clarify anything I said.

God bless you, take care.

Dec 19, 2009

I believe heaven is the peace we have when live righteous lives.

I believe we pass on to the resurrection when we die.

Mar 22, 2011

1.PARADISE WAS WE'RE THE BELIEVERS WE'RE, IN HELL , OPPERSIT TO THE RICH MAN THAT HAD A CONVOSATION WITH LAZARUS. HEAVEN IS WE,RE MICHEAL IS AN THE OTHER ANGELS THAT STAYED ON HIS SIDE WHEN KICKING OUT LUCIFER.HADES

2.HADES IS THE GRAVE . HELL IS THE REGION OF THE LOST.

3 YOU EITHER GO HELL OR HEAVEN

4 1PETER 3 V 18 -19 HE WENT HELL. HADES IS THE GRAVE SIX FOOT UNDER.

GOD BLESS YOU

C

Crazy4GODword

And remember, the above comment is what I believe, people may disagree.
whoa hey bro your now comming here, that is reall great....like it when we all get along and talk and to see you here besides the chat that is Great.

God bless bro

Jul 30, 2010
[QUOTE]
Big difference. Heaven is where God sits, and paradise will be on the earth. Paradise is like the Garden of Eden. There is no paradise existing now, but will be when Jesus comes to reign when he returns. He will reign in Israel. .

Israel will be transformed and will be like the Garden of Eden - Paradise.
Ezekiel speaks about that kingdom. Its what we call the Millenium. It means 1000 years. Christ will rule there for a 1000 years.

Ezekiel 36:35 And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced and are inhabited.

Its the same thing. They both mean death. The grave.

We go no where. We wait in the grave till Jesus returns, and if we are alive, he will pick us up in the air to meet him. If we are dead, we will be resurrected into spirit.

Do you know about the remnant? This refers to the Israelites who are dead that God has chosen to raise up again. These are the ones that died before Christ. They were under the old law. They are judged according to the old law. They cannot be raised into spirit, because this can only happen if we come through Jesus. God has preserved some of them. I'm not sure how many, but thousands. He will use these ones that are picked to live in the kingdom on this earth. They will live in Israel and Jesus will be ruling. They are the ones that will go to Paradise. The Israelites (remnant only) The saints who are resurrected into spirit will be there as well with Jesus. We will be like angels. Doing the Lords work.

He really died. It's not a mystery. He was dead and went no-where. He was in hell, as hell just means death. It is not disrespectful to say that. There is a scripture in Psalms that clarifies it. Psalms 16:10. It is Jesus speaking.

[/QUOTE]Yes and you didn't get any correct answers. That guy who was on the cross with Jesus was a Jew and he was under the old law. When we die time stands still. When we are awoken then it will be today. Jesus died and went no-where that day, because he was dead for 3 days, and death is not classified as paradise. That thief will be in the kingdom - Israel - Paradise. Not heaven. Do not be decieved, but when the thief gets awoken it would be today to him. Jesus did not lie. If you died 2000 years ago and get resurected, it will be today for you also. Time stands still when we are were dead. No many can understand this.

Jesus says beware because the thief stands at the door. If you are not prepared, and you die, then all you know is that when you are raised to be judged you will be facing Jesus. It will be today for you. You wont be somewhere saying, Lord why are you taking so long to come and get me. If we are not right with Christ he will come at a time when we dont expect (die) and all of a sudden he's there to judge us - today. He's warning us not to die in our sins. Be ready always. Death creeps up on us when it is not expected, just like a thief. Christ was not talking about his coming, because he gave us signs. By these signs we know exactly when to expect him, and many over the last 2000 years have since died. He was talking to them too.

God bless. Keep searching. I hope you will check out the scriptures yourself. I can give scriptures to you to back what I am saying. This is all probably new to you. You can go back to one of my older posts and look up the thread called The Millenium. I've explained it simple and given scripture on where to find it in the bible.

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
There are 3 heavens, and there are depths to hell.
The third Heaven is Paradise, teh Garden of Eden.
the Second heaven is the atmosphere from the ground up to the boundary of the universe.
The First Heaven is that which God created in His first creative act, and it is where the Fullness of GOD is, where Jesus alone came from and returned unto.

Hell is from ground level to the depths of the earth. Do we not live in Hell, or what else
needs to happen on this planet to make it hellish??? (hint: the world is full of the devils
children).

C

Crazy4GODword

Interesting topic

Elin

Banned
Jan 19, 2013
In terms of the OT, Sheol was the holding place of the dead.
Paradise was the place of blessing in Sheol, and Hades was the place of fire in Sheol.

Hell is a mistranslation of Hades in the KJV.

Hell is Gehenna in the NT.

Not really clear.

Paul indicates that to be absent from the body is to be preent with the Lord.

I think that is all we know from the NT.

That's subject to interpretation of some less than clear passages.

Elin

Banned
Jan 19, 2013
1. Heaven and paradise in my mind are the same.
2. Hell and Hades are the same place. Hades is a word in the Bible used for Hell.
3. After death, we either go to Heaven or Hell.
4. Jesus was put in a tomb and resurrected after 3 days.
Did you get your idea for your avatar from anywhere?