I'm struggling to understand this girl...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

police750

Okay well i posted on here about two-three months ago. I dont know how to post links to previous posts, so i'll just try to synthesise what i said back that. So basically, I really like this girl. I haven't ever really like anyone as much as I like her, and i feel there must be a reason for that.

WHAT FOLLOWS HAPPENED ABOUT TWO-THREE MONTHS AGO....

I asked her out for lunch a few times, and i, at least, felt we strongly bonded. Lots of talking, laughing, lots of eyecontact it was really nice.

Well, a few weeks later, I told this girl I liked her. And a week or so later she sends me this long email, telling me about everything she's been doing in africa, (she's gone over there with her church to help). but she also said that she's thought long and deeply about it, but that she's not ready for a boyfriend, and that one reason is because she feels that she is not unselfish enough to treat someone in the way that they should be treated in a relationship, and that she feels she'd let all her validation get tied up in that person, and she said that there are other reasons too but they're too long and complicated. and she said that she felt really honored that someone she thinks highly of likes her, but simply doesnt want a relationship. (But she's really not selfishi n any way whatsoever!)

NOW (the past 6 weeks)

So we've had lunch together twice now, been to a party together, and hung about with a group of friends together (playing a bit of pool etc). And there was no awkwardness. Not even the very day she came back - i asked if we could have lunch and she said yes. It was as if nothing had changed, there was still that eyecontact, laughing, talking, smiling, there was no awkwardness.

Recently I've found out she's never had a boyfriend before, (I've never had a girlfriend), and i'm wondering if that could have been a factor... Its just difficult - maybe im kidding myself - but on the one hand, whenever she's talking to us as a group- like at this party-, for the most part she seems to be looking into my eyes, smiling and laughing- but on the other hand, she takes forever to reply to my messages and the like or doesnt at all- maybe she's just too busy... Maybe that was a reason why??

I guess I'm asking whether you guys believe its worth persisting? I still like her a lot, and i'm just not sure of whether she likes me at all in that way, or if she feels too busy/too inconfident, to be in a relationship.

And if you think I should persist, any advice as how I should go about it? I just hate the idea of hassling/coaxing her into doing something she's hesitant to do..... but it has been over 2 months since i told her how i felt.......... Thankyou all and God bless!

J

JesusChaser

Well my brother it sounds like your going about this all wrong. I'm sorry to say, but you mentioned nothing about praying about it or seeking God's advice. If you start a relationship in the flesh or of yourself it will have troubles later on down the road. Also think about why you are going to get into the relationship??? Think long and hard about that one! Are you going to get into the relationship just because you have that 'bonding' or are you getting into because that's where God is leading you into marriage? And yes I did say marriage. Getting into a relationship just because you want to have a gf is stupid and a waste of time.

That's basically all I can tell you man. Seek out God in prayer and put him first in what you do.

God Bless.

R

Rissa77

Yea, bro, I completely agree with JesusChaser. Our culture has twisted the concept of dating into something not of God. Getting into relationships simply because two people like each other is the norm. Dating shouldn't be something taken lightly. It should be taken with the concept of marriage as the result. If I'm not ready for marriage, I shouldn't be dating. That means I need to be financially and spiritually ready to support a spouse and possible family. If I'm not considering this person as a potential marriage partner, definitely don't be dating that person.

Pray. God can give you all the answers you need. And it helps if you don't have your own ambitions in sight. Get to a place where you're okay either way. That's called trust. You know God knows what is best for you and what will bring you closer to Him and give you the most joy. So take comfort in that and die to self. Focus on what God wants and not what you want. It makes obedience a lot easier.

I pray the best for you, bro. God bless!

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Just stay in contact. Wait for her, but also keep in mind that she may not end up wanting to be your g/f. It sounds to me, from the little info that you gave that she may be someone worth waiting for. Pray for her and ask God to help you discern whether you should keep waiting or let her go.

Sep 2, 2009
sounds like shes too immature to have the kind or relationship you want. and shes just not that into you. move on, find someone else.

R

Rissa77

Wow... I wouldn't say immature. I would say she's more wise than most. She doesn't jump into a relationship simply because a guy likes her. And she knows her priorities. I respect her for that. It's possible that her desires are to get to a certain place in her ministry and/or in her walk with God before she considers including a special someone in her life. Don't be so quick to judge.

A

ariannaaa

Wow... I wouldn't say immature. I would say she's more wise than most. She doesn't jump into a relationship simply because a guy likes her. And she knows her priorities. I respect her for that. It's possible that her desires are to get to a certain place in her ministry and/or in her walk with God before she considers including a special someone in her life. Don't be so quick to judge.
I agree Rissa. Great insight.

Police thats a difficult situation and very circumstantial. On the one hand she may just be hesitant bc she has never had a boyfriend, but she also may legitemately be seeking God's face and realizing that she may not be mature enough for a relationship- which is mature in itself, which is why it may be hard to understand.

But i agree with JesusChaser. Seek God's will and He won't let you down. You seem like a very nice and genuine guy and I hope that everything works out for you.

P

Pineapple

I totally agree. I'd say putting God first and relationships on hold until she feels she's mentally ready for it is the polar opposite of immature and is something to be admired.

Sep 2, 2009
...or shes an immature girl. who'd probably rather watch veggietales, than be with a guy. quit wasting your time, move on.

A

AntonD

Hey man,
it sounds what you've got is good, but take it slow, just stay as friends just now and get to know each other more.
the exact same thing happened to me, exsept i rushed it a bit, and yea... not so good, lol
but try and be friends, even best friends :)
and if God whats something to happen, it'll happen:) and yea, pray.. alot
God Bless man!

D

Dread_Zeppelin

Coming from a woman who straight up said they didn't want a relationship I dont know why you're still persuing her. I can't tell you the amount of times I've said that to a man and had them still bother me with the "girlfriend" question. It's ruined many relationships I've had. Also, don't assume that the reason she hasn't said yes is because she's inexperienced, she might not think of you more then a friend. Plus I agree, have you prayed yet?

S

star_gazer

Sounds to me like she is feeling you out, trying to get to know you to see if you can be a friend first and not "just another guy" hoping to get a date with her. I would say, be a friend and relax. Beleive it or not, people used to court for years, gradually spending more time together before they even condsidered dating as a couple! Relax or you are going to blow it.. be patient and caring and respect her boundaries so that instaed of gettting a "fast food on demand chicken mcnugget" relationship, you get a nine course, high-class, delicious relationship worthy of all true Christians.

Slow down and stop pushing turbo or you will get kicked to the curb by this girl. She is assessing your character and your actual intent. Smart girl. She will get the man of her dreams. If you want to be him then you will stop pushing to stake out your territory with her and let her get comfortable with who you are. Take time to grow as a man and be worthy of such a wonderful young woman and you will inevitably gain a wonderful reward: her true love!

S

Stephanie

I agree 100% with everything JesusChaser and Rissa said. I can't impress upon you enough how important it is to pray about these things. Who knows better than God? And when you pray, also pray that you're own personal feelings and goals don't get into the way of God's will. If God says this is the person I've prepared for you then ask God what the next step is. It's great that you came to a Christian forum for advice but whenever you're feeling lost in anything seek the Lord first.

You should really take into consideration what JesusChaser and Rissa said about relationships too. It makes a lot of sense.