I'm suffering in silence

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 3, 2013
I've been depressed for a long time some days I feel ok and other days I'm really low, my husband says he understands but deep down I don't think he does. Recently I've started to get a load of mail through my door I dread to open the letters because I know its debt. I've ended up in a lot of debt recently that its got to the point I don't know what t do, I have no money and I'm really worried about the situation. Does anybody know any good prayers that could help me through this and to stay strong along the way.

A

Aqua_Girl09

Something that really helps me is listening to worship music. and not Christian friendly music i mean ONLY music that worships God and lets you have a heart for him. do it for a week and you'll notice a difference in your life. and of course you can't control what others listen to around you. but when you wake up in the morning or in the car. ^_^ hope this helps.

K

kirschacay

Yes pray with complete trueness..meaning.. say what you mean and mean what you say...in truth, talk to Him like He knows you, cause He does! He cares about ALL areas of your life down to the smallest detail. He desires to talk to you as the closest friend or parent. Remember He is the perfect father and cares about you in that way. Personally I am having financial problems because of my sticking my head in the sand, when my husband died. I have seen amazing things happen! It's been soo hard to let go and let God. I keep trying... One last thing, try to find just even the smallest way to make your husbands saying he cares work...go after it! If he takes one step in your direction take three back..This is the right thing to do, whether he means it, whether he will respond in the right way, I dont know, but at least YOU will know...alot more

N

needingrace

Hi,

I think your depression is well-founded. Your situation with debt would make it normal for anyone to be worried enough to be depressed. You said that your husband is understanding but may not understand the reality. I am wondering, if he does know the reality?

Does he know that you are in debt? If he doesn't, he needs to know, even if he may blow up on you initially. This is a bomb that will not be fixed unless there's honest openness. You may feel that he understands you more if you are able to let him know the whole truth.

I suggest you do the following:

1. Find a financial planner/adviser. A christian one may help.

Ask the planner to help you plan through your debt and assist you in budgeting your needs. There are non-profit financial advisers out there that are willing to help someone in this state by offering services for free. You may want to call local social services eg the salvation army for more information on where these resources are available.

2. Talk to your husband and inform of what is happening.

Allow him to attend the financial planning meetings with you and keep him in the loop.

3. Find a good girlfriend who can keep you accountable with your spending and is willing to spend time with you to chill without spending money.

Sometimes it's a matter of habit.

4. Try and find a light part-time job if you don't already have one. Earning some income, even if it's just a custodian job, and even if it doesn't pay any of the bills, will make you feel better.

5. Finally engross yourself in prayer like you already are seeking out, spend time in the journal by writing how you feel (even if it's repetitive) and sit still listening to God for 5 minutes a day without doing anything, thinking anything. Also try and start playing the audio bible where you are even when you're not actively listening. It creates a positive spiritual atmosphere and a lot of the times you start picking up on verses here and there. Free audio bible can be found in BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages.

Blessings, sacredheart and know that all the above steps are vital to your recovery!

Take care,
needingrace

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Ignoring the debt problem may be what is causing your depression. The best thing to do is to accept it and confront it...come up with a plan. Go to the Lord for guidance and comfort. You're really hurting over this and you really need to face it. Lay out your bills on a table and look at them.

What is your husband doing about this? Does he work? Isn't he worried about it too? Maybe together you can work out a solution....what to cut back on, which bill to tackle first, where to get additional income. Come up with a budget. I think there are some agencies out there that offer free financial guidance. There's a lot of self-help books about getting debt under control.

Your depression may lessen when you start facing the problem. I tend to just want to sleep when things aren't going well, but this is sort of like alcohol or drugs...it just numbs the pain for awhile but doesn't do anything toward getting rid of it.

Praying for you...strength and guidance.

H

hattiebod

I've been depressed for a long time some days I feel ok and other days I'm really low, my husband says he understands but deep down I don't think he does. Recently I've started to get a load of mail through my door I dread to open the letters because I know its debt. I've ended up in a lot of debt recently that its got to the point I don't know what t do, I have no money and I'm really worried about the situation. Does anybody know any good prayers that could help me through this and to stay strong along the way.
I think its very brave of you to write to this forum, its a first step in getting the help you need. Yes, pray!! and read your Bible, try looking up all the scriptures regarding money, saving etc yourself, immerse yourself in the Word and praise God! He is with you and its in times of trouble we need to draw close. Is there a friend you could get support from? Perhaps your husband does not realise how things are, and is scared too, some people avoid the truth, hoping it will go away. He could very well be just as frightened and depressed by all this as you, so I hope you can talk together, openly and work together through this. if you do, you will come out of it all the stronger. You would maybe feel less stressed if you were able to sit down together, go through your finances and talk about it? getting these sorts of things out into the light, talked about, can help. I see you live in UK too, debt is a big problem at the moment, you are not alone...Citizen Advice Centre can really be supportive, one on one. often when creditors are approached, they will take a smaller repayment, it is just a case of getting help to organise it all and the help is out there for you. You should have a CAB branch near you and its a good place to start...of course prayer will help and drawing close to God but He also expects obedience and to walk in His Will. Debt is not something He wants for us, so when we fall into it we need to behave responsibly and take steps to sort it out. Try not to throw away the scary mail :) collect it all up and take it to see someone at CB, they can also recommend other support services in your area. I pray all the best for you, just remember, its only a disaster if we do not learn from it! <><

B

BarlyGurl

Streams in the desert is a wonderful devotional... you don't have to buy the book... it is available online. Both you and your husband should sit down and develop a debt plan... perhaps he can take over this mail and bill writing for a time while yu get your bearings.

N

needingrace

Hi,

I found a link that may help you. I know you may be in the States but you can contact them and ask them if they have resources for the USA

They are called Complete Debt Solutions and they may be able to help.

• 580 The East Mall
  • Toronto, Ontario M9B 4A7
Always open

[TABLE="class: uiGrid contactInfoTable"]
[TR]
[TD="class: vTop pbs prs"]Phone[/TD]
[TD="class: vTop pbs pls"]Toll Free: 1800 641 2160. Fax: 1866 231 5344 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: vTop pbs prs"]Email[/TD]
[TD="class: vTop pbs pls"][email protected][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: vTop prs"]Website[/TD]
[TD="class: vTop pls"]http://www.completedebtsolutions.us[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

surprisingrose

Dec 30, 2011
I don't know all of your situation. I don't know how you got so in debt. Sometimes people are trying real hard to make ends meet and unexpected things come along, but I'm saying all this to say if it was a matter of getting yourself too much in debt ask Jesus of course to forgive you and ask his help and wisdom on how to get out of debt. I don't know if you have a church and are paying your tithes, if not that's the second best place to start. If you've already doing or have done all that, then the Lord usually has me give my way out of debt. If it's hard I'll ask the Lord where and how much does he want me to give. The bible says give and it shall be given unto you. It is a step of faith, placing your trust in the Lord and not money, and of course the bible tells us to cast all our cares on him for he cares for us. If Susie has 5 apples and she gives Bob 5 apples how many apples does Susie have; none of course, which is what we have when we give our cares to him. He feeds the sparrow everyday and you are of much more value than many sparrows. I will say a prayer for you too. I have a friend who was deep in debt. She had to file bankruptcy but she repented,mprayed, gave and went for free finanical advice and today she is doing great. Hang in there Jesus loves you as much as he loved her.

U

Ugly

True prayer isn't some prescripted line you repeat that someone else wrote. True prayer is crying out to God sincerely from the heart, and just letting yourself and your feelings and words flow to God. God isn't interested in your numbly repeating a script, He wants to hear from your heart.