Ima really trying to follow you, so,Lord, why aren't my best-laid plans coming true?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GreenNnice

Ever feel this way, like you are going to church, reading your bible daily, doing devotions religiously, just generally living your life for Him, yet....the job seems dead-end, or, mundane, or unimproving your lot in life? Ever feel everything was all pick-up trucks, guns , and, roses , before God HIT you with an event that rocked your world?

I would like some folks to come on here to ENCOURAGE others who are in the aforementioned sentences seasons of their life.

Those that want to just agree that life is tough now despite 100% God-following paths are welcome to ask questions why too.

The Lord leads... :)

T

Timofree

I'll share my experience, I feel Gods shaping me so that Im satisfied with Him alone, and to get to the place where I can rejoice with those who rejoice, and mourn with the mourners.

I've seen other people with what I wanted, and then went on to wrongly judge their walk with Christ. But were all on different walks, and they may well not have to learn the same lessons as me......God loves us too much to say, ok your not quite ready, but here's what you want anyway.

It's not always as easy to accept negative circumstances, but God see's our whole life, and what current trials are shaping in us.......so it's just a case of, I dont like or understand this situation God, but I don't have to. You do understand, and it's You I trust.......the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, blessed be the Name of the Lord! It'd be best to remind myself of that again sometime today :)

Jun 25, 2010
"Ever feel this way, like you are going to church, reading your bible daily, doing devotions religiously, just generally living your life for Him,"

Can't say having a TRUE relationship with God has ever made me feel mundane, ect.... If I lived like the above way, it would seem like I'm doing all that stuff so God would bless me with a good life. Doesn't seem like I would be interested in having a RELATIONSHIP w/ God when i'm just doing things just to say I did them, eh? We've got to CRAVE God's Word daily. God's love isn't a one way street that we( including myself at times) think it is- He gives, we take is a motto we seem to have written all over ourselves.lol

Honestly, how much time out of our day would we say we speak to God? How much time do we spend "racing this life with endurance", keeping our eyes focused on God? If we fall into the trap of thinking that the Christian lifestyle is boring and mundane, we just simply only have ourselves to blame. Why we think we have to sit back and wait for something to happen, instead of being active( & real) in our relationship with God, is really beyond me. Again, like I said earlier, God's love isn't a one way street. Going through the motions of "religion" daily will cause all of us to think that it's boring. Go out and search for Him deeply, then look to see if He isn't making an awesome change in your life.

A

allforfun

To the previous poster, thanks for the encouragement, I could feel the empathy oozing out of your words. Don't go into peer counseling just yet though ok?

I believe we all go through peeks and valleys in every relationship and that includes the one with our Savior. We are human, most of us, and it happens. Not every day can just be on up on the mountain and that is ok. I wouldn't want that because there is a learning experience in the valley as well. We get to meet people we might not have met other wise while searching to rekindle that fire, we can reach out to people we never thought we would have otherwise and sometimes? They reach out to us. Sometimes people see that we are lacking something in our daily lives and say something so profound it knocks us off our rocker. But if we hadn't been in the valley to begin with, we wouldn't have gotten that morsel of wisdom.

We are not promised an easy life just because we are Christians. Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you something. But it doesn't have to be like walking on hot lava every day either.

So yes, I have been there. I would say I might be there now. But to say that it isn't a genuine relationship with Christ is bologna, I'm just in the waiting room of life, patiently waiting to be told what room to go into next.

Attachments

Last edited:

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
When I read this thread title, the first thing that came to mind is a verse in Proverbs that has really spoken to me the last few months or so.
Proverbs 16:9 In their hearts humans plan their course,
but the LORD establishes their steps.

I agree with those who already stated that being a Christian doesn't mean things are going to be all great and wonderful. I've seen a lot of people who do get that idea one way or another, then they end up disappointed and mad at God for not doing things he never promised to do. He never said life would be easy. Life is hard. I also think perspective is a huge deal. We can choose to look at all the negative things constantly or we can choose to think about the positive things. If you're in this forum, then you probably have food on the table, a roof over your head, and a lot of other things that some people don't have. All things many of us, certainly including myself, tend to take for granted.

I get a lot of encouragement out of things in the Bible.

Paul comes to mind. Look at all he went through and survived in 2 Corinthians. Here's part of that:

25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? 30 If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 31 The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who is to be praised forever, knows that I am not lying.

God got Paul through all that, and he can do the same for us. I think we can often learn the most from those hard times.

It's hard to imagine thinking along these lines and the book of Job not coming to mind. That's a great read about struggle, faith, questioning, etc.
I've mentioned this here before, but chapter 38 and on through the next chapter or two really put me in my place if I want to whine to God about something not going how I think it should.
Job 38 NIV - The LORD Speaks Then the LORD spoke to - Bible Gateway

Here's a small excerpt from that:
1 Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm. He said:

2 “Who is this that obscures my plans
with words without knowledge?
3 Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me. 4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
6 On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone—
7 while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels[a] shouted for joy?

That really humbles me and floors me every time.

I just think it's important to find some balance there. I'm not going to deny how hard life is, sometimes more than others, but I try not to be a whiner. Truly there is so much to be thankful for! :)
If we wake up in a bad mood, focusing on and looking for negative things, we're sure to find them. However, we can make the choice to try to be more thankful for what we do have instead of whining about what we don't have. Once again, it's about balance and perspective.
I think it can be summed up in something I've heard plenty of times: Life is hard, but God is good.

Last edited: