images of christ??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kselby

i would lik to know why so many churchs/religions use the cross and images of christ mary angels and so forth in worship??when scripture clearly states to do the opposite...ex20:4,5"you shall not make yourself a carved image or any likeness of anythingin heave or on earth beneath,or in the waters under the earth;you shall not bow down to themor serve them,for i jehovah am a jealous god"Lev26:1,2cor6:16,john4:23,24,isa42:8,isa40:18...all of these scriptures and therer are many more that jehovah hates idol worship...so why do you do it?

Jan 10, 2007
God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
Acts 17:24-25

Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
Acts 17:29-31

K

kselby

im not sure if that answers my question on why images are used in many of todays churches???????????????????????

Jan 10, 2007
Wasn't really answering why they do, just providing another very clear New Testamen scripture why they shouldn't. I might post more extensively later.

Dec 24, 2008
There is a specific devil spirit which influences people to worship other gods.
It is called a "spirit of whoredoms."
We're in a spiritual contest - and it's for real [Ephesians 6:12]

C

CristenJ

As far as Christian churches go, I've never been to one where the cross is worshiped..? I'm pretty sure we just use the cross as a reminder of what our Lord sacrificed for us.

I'm not sure about other religions/faiths and what they do....

Maybe I'm not entirely clear on what the question is.

X

xspinningisfun

As far as Christian churches go, I've never been to one where the cross is worshiped..? I'm pretty sure we just use the cross as a reminder of what our Lord sacrificed for us.

I'm not sure about other religions/faiths and what they do....

Maybe I'm not entirely clear on what the question is.
Yeah, I don't know either lol.
I know catholic churches pray to Mary...which I disagree with. Since we should only pray to GOD.

Jan 31, 2009
THe focus is not to worship , or not to make such things with the intent to worship, the pictures are not worshipped, and while we are at it let's go ahead and throw in Christmas trees which are not worshipped either

Jan 31, 2009
THe focus is not to worship , or not to make such things with the intent to worship, the pictures are not worshipped, and while we are at it let's go ahead and throw in Christmas trees which are not worshipped either

also that is old testament law which we are no longer under, and if you are then why aren't you still scaraficing youe sheep and your goats

Ga 5:18But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not UNDER THE LAW.

K

kselby

yes you say you do not give 'worship' to these figures,the cross ect....but the bible says you must not make a carved image of any sort that is in the heavens ,or on the earth........wouldnt you agree that a cross is an image?EX20:4......jehovah says that he is a spirit and therefore wants to be worshiped with spirit....And while we are on the subject of the cross....the bible does not indicate that jesus died on a cross as such....he died on a torture stake......the cross...symbol of the cross has been carried over from non christian beliefs.Infact the imperial bible dictionary acknowledges this saying:"the greek word for cross 'stau.ros',properly signified a stake,an upright pole,....even amongst the amongst the romans the 'crux'is an upright pole.If we are urged to worship in spirit and truth ...let us all be searching the truth.

Feb 27, 2007
please read Exodus 25 where God instructs on building ark/tabernacle he is very specific in the adornment and in including 2 cherubims of gold with their wings on high, covering the mercy seat & facing each other... read it. pretty specific stuff!! I'm also certain God did not want his people worshiping the cherubim. I dont worship my picture of Jesus or my crucifix I wear. It has however opened the door to tell people about Christ. If I had nothing on my dining room wall, that biker would never have asked why i have a picture of Jesus on the wall... - perhaps i should replace it with a picture of a sunflower? what awesome discussions that would start. hmmm. nice yellow flower, why do you have a picture of a yellow flower on the wall. I like yellow flowers. discussion over. point made?

E

easygoing

MaT 27: 32, 40, 42
32 And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.
40 And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.
42 He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.

A few references of the where the cross came from for ya.

olivetree32

Jan 4, 2009
yes you say you do not give 'worship' to these figures,the cross ect....but the bible says you must not make a carved image of any sort that is in the heavens ,or on the earth........wouldnt you agree that a cross is an image?EX20:4......jehovah says that he is a spirit and therefore wants to be worshiped with spirit....And while we are on the subject of the cross....the bible does not indicate that jesus died on a cross as such....he died on a torture stake......the cross...symbol of the cross has been carried over from non christian beliefs.Infact the imperial bible dictionary acknowledges this saying:"the greek word for cross 'stau.ros',properly signified a stake,an upright pole,....even amongst the amongst the romans the 'crux'is an upright pole.If we are urged to worship in spirit and truth ...let us all be searching the truth.
here are some scriptures that talk about the Cross. this is NKJV ok.
first here is jesus talking about the Cross...and that we should all be reminded of..
Mat 16:24Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
Mat 26:2"You know that after two days is the Passover, and the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified." Mat 27:35Then they crucified Him, and divided His garments, casting lots, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet: "They divided My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots." i can go on and on with these verses. do a word study please on crucified.
this is what i found in blueletterbible.com you can read more if you like.
Another reason may have been the way the Romans used crucifixion. A Roman citizen was never crucified- they were put to death by the quick method of beheading. Only slaves, political rebels, and the lowest criminals were put to death by crucifixion. The cross was a symbol of shame for the Romans. The Roman writer Cicero wrote.
Even the word ‘cross' must remain far, not only from the lips of the citizens of Rome, but also from their thoughts their eyes their ears.
Summary
Jesus was put to death by the terrible method of crucifixion. Although we are not told why the religious leaders did not organize a group of people to stone Him, it is likely due to the curse associated with crucifixion. Crucifixion was reserved for the slaves, political rebels and the worst criminals. The New Testament writers spoke of Jesus' death, it was not to emphasize the horrible suffering that He endured on our behalf. Rather it was to proclaim the victory that Jesus won in paying the penalty for sin

also Peter was crucified, and i belive upside down.

and i agree with my brother from a previous post, there is nothing wrong with haveing a pic of jesus , or a cross hanging in your home, just don't worship it. But we worship our King. And i don't know what church you speak of regarding worshiping idols, catholics are known for praying to saints, and praying to Mary.

olivetree32

Jan 4, 2009
please read Exodus 25 where God instructs on building ark/tabernacle he is very specific in the adornment and in including 2 cherubims of gold with their wings on high, covering the mercy seat & facing each other... read it. pretty specific stuff!! I'm also certain God did not want his people worshiping the cherubim. I dont worship my picture of Jesus or my crucifix I wear. It has however opened the door to tell people about Christ. If I had nothing on my dining room wall, that biker would never have asked why i have a picture of Jesus on the wall... - perhaps i should replace it with a picture of a sunflower? what awesome discussions that would start. hmmm. nice yellow flower, why do you have a picture of a yellow flower on the wall. I like yellow flowers. discussion over. point made?
yes amen to that brother. God told moses how he wanted it built. the tabernacle was a forshadowing of heaven.

K

kselby

in the original greek scriptures the word stauros is used which is rightly translated stake.(the imperial bible dictionary)The book the non-christian cross,by jd parsons says there is not a single sentence in any ofthe numerous writtings which make up the new testament ,in the original greek which bears even indirect evidence that the stauros used in the case of jesus wasanything other than an ordinary stauros.It is misleading upon the part of our teachers to translate the word stauros as meaning 'cross'.

R

raim

If we are going to make the story short, is really God tell the people.. "ok you, you need to make images for me and worship me through that images, but instead God orders to destroy all the graven images... as a matter of fact in John 4: 18-24- God search for a true worshippers... God is a Spirit and they that worship Him must worship in Spirit and in truth.

E

easygoing

in the original greek scriptures the word stauros is used which is rightly translated stake.(the imperial bible dictionary)The book the non-christian cross,by jd parsons says there is not a single sentence in any ofthe numerous writtings which make up the new testament ,in the original greek which bears even indirect evidence that the stauros used in the case of jesus wasanything other than an ordinary stauros.It is misleading upon the part of our teachers to translate the word stauros as meaning 'cross'.

I use the holy bible from the ancient eastern text and have found it very useful in my studies of the word of god. Mainly due to the fact that it was translated from aramaic, the original language spoken and used in the time of jesus christ. I wish i could note here all the information given on how this was translated and the sources that were used but it is too extensive. If interested find one in a book store and just read the introduction part it tells all there.

A note on translations. The grammar, verbs, nouns and other parts of speech are practically the same in the basic ancient Biblical Hebew language and aramaic. The structure of a sentence, in point of grammar and syntax of Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic, is the same. But this is not the case when translating from Hebrew or Aramaic into a totally alien tongue such as greek, latin, or english.

A few examples
Jeremiah 4:10 KJV Ah, Lord God! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people...
Aramaic reads Ah, Lord God! Surely I have greatly deceived this people....

Isaiah 43:28 KJV Therefore, I have profaned the princes of the sanctuary
Aramaic reads Your princes have profaned the sanctuary

Psalm 22:29 KJV All they that be fat upon the earth shall eat and worship...and none can keep alive his own soul.
Aramaic reads All those who are hungry upon earth shall eat and worship....my soul is alive to him.

These are just a couple of examples, I am pointing these out simply because the translations differ and sometimes can take on different meanings. After all Jesus and his disciples not only could not converse in Greek but they had never heard it spoken. Please press on in your quest for the truth and I hope you have found or will find what it is you are seeking.

Status
Not open for further replies.