immortal?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jonrambo

had a funny idea today. if sin leads to death, would a person that never sins, (in theory as its obviously atleast almost impossible (aside from Jesus)) live forever? Maybe Enoch never sinned maybe thats why God took him? I have a feeling that theory either contradicts scripture or comes very close somewhere. Anyway just a random thought. What u guys recon?

P

Perseus

I think there is a metaphysical change that is possible in extremely holy people, which is what allowed Enoch and Elijah to literally be transfigured from physical bodies to spiritual ones.

Whether or not they were 100% perfect, I'm not sure, but I would guess they were pretty close. They were the only two people in known history to never die, so they were clearly on another level in their walk with God.

WordGaurdian

May 1, 2011
had a funny idea today. if sin leads to death, would a person that never sins, (in theory as its obviously atleast almost impossible (aside from Jesus)) live forever? Maybe Enoch never sinned maybe thats why God took him? I have a feeling that theory either contradicts scripture or comes very close somewhere. Anyway just a random thought. What u guys recon?
Nope, not really.
John 11:25-26 KJV
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: [26] And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

J

jonrambo

Nope, not really.
John 11:25-26 KJV
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:[26]And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

I dont think he is talking to / about sinless people here. He is talking about people that are already dead in their sins. I dont think this answers the theoretical question. Please specify

Last edited:

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
All have sinned each having inherited a sin nature from Adam.

J

jonrambo

again.... THEORETICAL QUESTION GUYS lol i know mankind suck my basic question is do you think our suckyness is the cause of our bodily decay and eventual immonent physical death?

Jan 10, 2013
All have sinned each having inherited a sin nature from Adam.
This is true but 'sin nature' is not iniquity. Surely it is the ability to sin.

It is an interesting question though, unless everyone is being punished for the sins of our distant ancestors (or even our more recent ones) then a sinless life should lead to never dying. Yet this does not happen except in the case of Enoch ( though Genesis is sometimes more poetical than historical, the writer of Hebrews states he didn't die ).
There is no statement in the Bible that says Elijah didn't die (it says he was taken by a whirlwind into the sky - though translators usually say "into heaven" there is no reason to do so).

We don't see even one sinless person walking around celebrating their 3,603rd birthday :D
It is interesting though that in the two cases mentioned the person disappears, and doesn't wander around the earth. So, if there were other cases we would probably not know about them anyway...

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
I speculate that the tree of life originally imparted immortality to Adam and Eve [Gen 2:9, 16-17] however one of the consequence of the fall was mortality so the fact that people are mortal, I believe, is an indirect indication of inherited sin nature [Gen 3:19]. They were banished from the Garden so they won't have the opportunity to eat of the tree of life to be immortal again [Gen 3:22-24]. Enoch's case was a peculiar one; I doubt that God translates people directly to Heaven today. The good news is that Jesus Christ came to be the Bread of Life so that anyone who eats of Him (places their faith in Him) will not die eternally [John 6:33-40, John 14:6]. :)

G

Graybeard

No I don't think that is possible simply because we are flesh and flesh is corrupt,(thanks to Adam) even if one had never sinned before.

WordGaurdian

May 1, 2011
I dont think he is talking to / about sinless people here. He is talking about people that are already dead in their sins. I dont think this answers the theoretical question. Please specify
Ok. to Explain, sorry I was in a hurry. We are all dead. Only through Christ are we alive. It is Christ that makes us alive. If we do not believe in Christ we fall under the heritage of Adam. And he died. So in effect, there is no life in you if you are not part of Christ. So even if you think you commit no sin, you are still dead. Only through Christ are you in effect alive. So in theory if a person that is dead - never commits sins, but don't accept Christ. He will not live and have committed sin by not accepting Christ. If a person is sinless and alive, then ultimately he would not be under the heritage of Adam.

U

Ugly

I have no answer. This is an impossible scenario, not reasonable or valid to consider. So i'm not going to put any thought into it.

Jan 19, 2013
Well, we are all born guilty of Adam's sin (Ro 5:18-19), and that is why there is no escaping natural death.

Had Adam not sinned, he would not have died.

But he's the only one.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
again.... THEORETICAL QUESTION GUYS lol i know mankind suck my basic question is do you think our suckyness is the cause of our bodily decay and eventual immonent physical death?
No wonder in your question you go from the realm of hypothetical to the realm of possibility.

S

Scribe

Living forever in this world was not an option after god put cheribims to guard the tree that made it physically possible.
Enoch and elijah were taken not because of sinlessnes but By Faith we understand that Enoch was taken. Heb 11. The story of Enoch is not that he was special for God is no respector of persons. The message behind the Enoch translation is not that you can get so holy god wants to take you up but rather you can have such faith that you can please god in a way that has nothing to do with eternal life or salvation but that God decides you achieved that faith he is looking for when he returns and he takes you up.