in need of advice

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
X

xXjessicaXx

Okay so, long story. Im dating someone and my parents dont know. They know who he is and my mom hardly approves of him as even a friend. I can understand why because his parents are divorced and he smokes weed. The thing is, though, he makes me happy and he even wanted to come to church with me. It sucks knowing he could turn out to be the kind of guy my parents want him to be but it wont work because I cant take him to church because theyd know we were dating. Also hes half native american which my parents also dont approve of. I want to tell them im dating him and stop sneaking around but I might be kicked out and he doesnt want me to tell them till I move out but im only 18 and thatll be a while. What do I do?

U

Ugly

Honor your parents, as God commands. Right now your relationship with this boy is ungodly in every facet. He's not a Christian. He uses drugs. And it requires you to lie to and disobey your parents, and by doing so, disobeying Gods commands to honor your parents. Also, this is called 'missionary dating'. Dating someone with the hope of converting them. This is a dishonest practice and has no biblical backing of any kind.
A willingness to go to church means nothing, as many guys,or girls, will go through the motions just to keep someone.

Really, at this point, you are 100% in the wrong. The only issue i have not concerning you is the blatant racism your parents show. And if you believe they would kick you out over his race, that shows some problems as well.

But really you say 'he COULD turn out to be the kind of guy my parents want him to be'. But he might not. And taking him to church is not a guarantee. What you are doing now is rebelling. You have chosen a guy that you know will go against everything your parents are against. That's not a coincidence.
What if he continues doing drugs? What if he doesn't become a Christian? How long will you date him? Then is it loving to dump him if he doesn't conform to what you think he should be?
Sorry, but your relationship is a bad one from the start, even apart from the parent issue. God is not in any of this. Probably not what you were wanting to hear, but it's the truth.
I once made the mistake of dating someone not Christian. Now i look back and kick myself.

Nov 26, 2012
A year ago, about this time of year, I dated someone like that. My mom didn't care one bit. But I learned, the hardest way possible, non-christians are not meant to be dated. I've been down that path. It's hard for someone to agree because there's all this happiness and love going about, but what would God say? We are to not be unequally yoked. It's so hard, trust me! I've made this mistake twice now, and it still hurts me a little to this day. Making God proud is more worth it then a relationship that might not work out, then again. Pray! Oh pray so hard! This guy is in your life for a reason, now figure it out!