interesting Nutrtional/Biological fun facts

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Did you know there are less of you in your body and more of them? True. The average body has about 37 trillion cells, the stuff that makes you, you. Yet the bacteria in you body number from around 95 trillion to as much as 370 trillion.

So there are more house guests residing in the house than occupants.

N

NoNameMcgee

assuming you right...
that is actually very interesting
o_o

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Microbiome: Your Body Houses 10x More Bacteria Than Cells | DiscoverMagazine.com

You could be sitting alone and still be completely outnumbered for your body is home to trillions upon trillions of tiny passengers – bacteria. Your body is made up of around ten trillion cells, but you harbour a hundred trillion bacteria. For every gene in your genome, there are 100 bacterial ones. This is your ‘microbiome’ and it has a huge impact on your health, your ability to digest food and more. We, in turn, affect them. Everything from the food we eat to the way we’re born influences the species of bacteria that take up residence in our bodies.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
There are 37.2 Trillion Cells in Your Body | Smart News | Smithsonian

How many cells make up your body? It’s actually not all that easy to answer that simple question. But recently, scientists have made a pretty good effort. And their final count is…37.2 trillion.
Calculating the number of cells in the human body is tricky. Part of the problem is that using different metrics gets you very different outcomes. Guessing based on volume gets you an estimate of 15 trillion cells; estimate by weight and you end up with 70 trillion. Carl Zimmer at National Geographic explains:
So if you pick volume or weight, you get drastically different numbers. Making matters worse, our bodies are not packed with cells in a uniform way, like a jar full of jellybeans. Cells come in different sizes, and they grow in different densities. Look at a beaker of blood, for example, and you’ll find that the red blood cells are packed tight. If you used their density to estimate the cells in a human body, you’d come to a staggering 724 trillion cells. Skin cells, on the other hand, are so sparse that they’d give you a paltry estimate of 35 billion cells.

Read more: There are 37.2 Trillion Cells in Your Body | Smart News | Smithsonian

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Although to be transparent, I have also read there are around "only" 15 trillion cells in the body, and that the more recent estimates of bacteria in us out number us only 2 to1, or maybe even closer to 1:1, rather then the 10:1 or the 3:1 they originally believed.

Bottom line, there are a lot of bacteria taking up residence in our bodies.

S

SweetmorningDew78

That is interesting! Thanks for sharing :) But that's not fair! How can I get rid of them :D I hope that despite their numbers they are not really really are bad guests :D Actually I hope that at least half of them are good guests...

God bless you!

Feb 28, 2016
good-bacteria must be the 'good-guy' then?:eek:yes, I know, there's always
some 'bad-guys'...:)

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
That is interesting! Thanks for sharing :) But that's not fair! How can I get rid of them :D I hope that despite their numbers they are not really really are bad guests :D Actually I hope that at least half of them are good guests...

God bless you!
Here is another fun fact.
The good to bad bacteria ratio should ideally be 85% to 15%. The bad bacteria actually do serve a helpful purpose, scavenging toxic waste products in the body. Just if they start to increase more than 15% or so they begin
to become harmful.

Morale of story,; eat the right foods and take your probiotics.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
HFCS, or High Fructose Corn Syrup is not the same as cane sugar, despite the claims by their producers.

HFCS is popular because thanks to federal govt subsidies it is extremely cheap and is also very sweet. So of course, the big biz whores put it in anything they can get their greedy hands on.

Avoid HFCS at all cost. It'll kill ya (eventually)

From Mark Hyman's site, here is a fairly brief explanation about it. A lot easier than me typing it all out...

HFCS and cane sugar are NOT biochemically identical or processed the same way by the body. High fructose corn syrup is an industrial food product and far from “natural” or a naturally occurring substance. It is extracted from corn stalks through a process so secret that Archer Daniels Midland and Carghill would not allow the investigative journalist Michael Pollan to observe it for his book The Omnivore’s Dilemma.

The sugars are extracted through a chemical enzymatic process resulting in a chemically and biologically novel compound called HFCS. Some basic biochemistry will help you understand this. Regular cane sugar (sucrose) is made of two-sugar molecules bound tightly together– glucose and fructose in equal amounts.

The enzymes in your digestive tract must break down the sucrose into glucose and fructose, which are then absorbed into the body. HFCS also consists of glucose and fructose, not in a 50-50 ratio, but a 55-45 fructose to glucose ratio in an unbound form. Fructose is sweeter than glucose. And HFCS is cheaper than sugar because of the government farm bill corn subsidies. Products with HFCS are sweeter and cheaper than products made with cane sugar. This allowed for the average soda size to balloon from 8 ounces to 20 ounces with little financial costs to manufacturers but great human costs of increased obesity, diabetes, and chronic disease.Now back to biochemistry.

Since there is there is no chemical bond between them, no digestion is required so they are more rapidly absorbed into your blood stream. Fructose goes right to the liver and triggers
lipogenesis (the production of fats like triglycerides and cholesterol) this is why it is the major cause of liver damage in this country and causes a condition called “fatty liver” which affects 70 million people.The rapidly absorbed glucose triggers big spikes in insulin–our body’s major fat storage hormone.

Both these features of HFCS lead to increased metabolic disturbances that drive increases in appetite, weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia, and more.But there was one more thing I learned during lunch with Dr. Bruce Ames. Research done by his group at the
Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute found that free fructose from HFCS requires more energy to be absorbed by the gut and soaks up two phosphorous molecules from ATP (our body’s energy source).
This depletes the energy fuel source, or ATP, in our gut required to maintain the integrity of our intestinal lining. Little “tight junctions” cement each intestinal cell together preventing food and bacteria from “leaking” across the intestinal membrane and triggering an immune reaction and body wide inflammation.

High doses of free fructose have been proven to literally punch holes in the intestinal lining allowing nasty byproducts of toxic gut bacteria and partially digested food proteins to enter your blood stream and trigger the inflammation that we know is at the root of obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, dementia, and accelerated aging. Naturally occurring fructose in fruit is part of a complex of nutrients and fiber that doesn’t exhibit the same biological effects as the free high fructose doses found in “corn sugar”.

The takeaway: Cane sugar and the industrially produced, euphemistically named “corn sugar” are not biochemically or physiologically the same.

Last edited:

Maka

Jun 26, 2017
^ Great post! I gave up high fructose corn syrup way before I went completely vegan.

S

SweetmorningDew78

Here is another fun fact.
The good to bad bacteria ratio should ideally be 85% to 15%. The bad bacteria actually do serve a helpful purpose, scavenging toxic waste products in the body. Just if they start to increase more than 15% or so they begin
to become harmful.

Morale of story,; eat the right foods and take your probiotics.
Thanks I'll remember that :) trying to eat right these days :)

and speaking of probiotics I love yoghurt!!! I eat yoghurt every other day :)

The sad thing is the yoghurt that I am eating is sweetened yoghurt and there is a possibility that they used HFCS as a sweetener. Yayyy I'll buy the natural unsweetened yoghurt from now on...it is sour but I guess better than ingesting That harmful HFCS ...thanks yay :)

Be blessed.

M

Mooky

^^ Add a teaspoon of honey for sweetness ;)

S

SweetmorningDew78

^^ Add a teaspoon of honey for sweetness ;)
Oh yeah I didn't think of that :D Yayy thanks sis Mooky yeah!!! add honey I will try that :)

Be blessed sis Mooky :)

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Honey is great to use, so is Maple syrup. Tapioca too.

Whatever you do, stay away from Agave. It is extremely high in fructose, about 80% fructose to only 20% glucose.
It's true that it is low on the Glycemic index or glycemic load, but all the fructose spilling in the system is a horror show for the body.

On the beneficial side, Agave does contain a great prebiotic and has soluble fibers, which helps to stabilize blood sugar absorption (a good thing because since soluble fibers slow down intestinal flow, it helps to stop the sugars from spiking. Those sugar spikes are the reason you get that almost manic high energy feeling, only to be followed by almost drowsy low-level energy feeling.)

But even with that, Agave is a disaster. It is very stressful on the liver and can be a contributor to heart disease and fat accumulation, if used consistently, even in moderate amounts.

I will try to give some fun facts later about how fruit with its more equal fructose/glucose mix and soluble fibers is the best sweet foods to eat.

Last edited:
S

SweetmorningDew78

Thanks this is very helpful :)

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I am simply reviewing previous health threads=).