Interesting though I've been having- God and the Love Languages

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

Vidy

Hey ^_^ I recently went through a break-up, and I decided to fall back on Biblical advice I've heard throughout the years. The most prominent I've heard is this- "God will be there to fill your needs. He will give you everything a partner could give you, plus some, and He has no flaws." Or something to that effect at least.

What gets me is this- There are 5 "Love Languages"- Gifts, Acts of Service, Compliments (that one goes by a diff name but I forgot what it was lol), Quality Time, and Physical Touch.

My question is this- Can God give you love in ALL of these areas if needed? I've been thinking, and from everything I've heard, He doesn't, unless I'm missing something 0_o

Gifts- He blesses us all, yes. He gives us what we need when we need it. This is obvious most of the time, and He definitely works through gifts. Also, the BEST gift EVER is the gift of eternal life, ftw =D

Acts of Service- Blessing from Him could also fit this, too. Some people feel like we're "using" Him when we ask for His help, but He WANTS to help us and He will =)

Compliments- His Word if very encouraging, and is full of verses to help bring you up ^_^ You may not know where to look, but with the resources we have today, it's not hard at all to find something to support you in whatever situation you're going through.

Quality Time- He enjoys spending time with us in His Word and prayer =) Sometimes He initiates it, and HE calls YOU to spend time with Him. He's always available if you need Him =P

Physical touch- ehhh... what? This is the one that gets me =/

Now, my primary love language happens to be, you guessed it, physical touch. God cannot (well, he CAN, but prolly won't) physically touch me. I can't hug God; He can't REALLY "hold me in his arms." The Bible uses emotional wordings to convey these messages, but there is no REAL physical connection there. I know God loves me, but due to lack of physical contact, many times I don't FEEL loved. Of course, I go to a partner to fill these needs, but when you're single, there's not much you can really do about that =/

Don't really know what I want you guys to say... Just puttin ma thoughts out there and seein what you have to say about it =)

grace

Sep 8, 2006
The correct name you were looking for instead of compliments was/are, words of affirmation. :)

J

Jennifleur

Vidy, it sounds like you need to read "The Love Languages of God". It's by Gary Chapman, the author of "The Five Love Languages", and he discusses in his book how God speaks all five love languages. It's a good read. :)

V

Vidy

^^Don't really have money to buy st0ffs, and I don't enjoy reading or being seen reading XD I went through a devotional with my (ex)gf, where we read a 3-page chapter a day. I'd go hide in a corner somewhere so I wouldn't be seen rofl, I'm weird =P

So yeah, could you just explain the basics of it? It'd be interesting =)

S

ShelleBelle76

It's interesting, I was just talking to a friend of mine the other day, and she was telling me about her experience with this very thing. She was a new Christian and recently out of a relationship. She was estranged from her family, and had no real close relationships. And she felt very, very alone. She said she would curl up on the couch reading her Bible and praying, trying to open a connection to God on a regular basis. One day she was experiencing a deep level of loneliness and she sobbed and cried out to God, "Hold me! Please just hold me!"

She felt such a wave of peace and drifted off into that state where you are nearly asleep, yet fully aware, and she had the sensation that someone had their arms around her. She just allowed herself to experience that wonderful feeling of being held, and after a while, when she opened her eyes she was curled up as if snuggled up beside someone on the couch.

If you are truly trying to do the right thing, God will be there to provide you with whatever you need! You just need to ask Him with a completely honest heart.

W

Writer4theKing

ShelleBelle

I agree that God can provide our needs. I too am in a time of deep loneliness. My few close friends work while I am currently seeking employment. Every day, God calls me to draw closer to Him. Whenever I heed His call, losing myself in His embrace, the contentment is so sweet it is nearly impossible to describe. My Father is awesome but I still do get lonely, craving human contact at times. At these times, He reminds me to wait upon Him in every aspect of my life and I lean against Him once more.

S

ShelleBelle76

ShelleBelle

I agree that God can provide our needs. I too am in a time of deep loneliness. My few close friends work while I am currently seeking employment. Every day, God calls me to draw closer to Him. Whenever I heed His call, losing myself in His embrace, the contentment is so sweet it is nearly impossible to describe. My Father is awesome but I still do get lonely, craving human contact at times. At these times, He reminds me to wait upon Him in every aspect of my life and I lean against Him once more.
That is beautiful! :)

X

xXrebeccaXx

Vidy,
Totally get where you're coming from!
I wondered about that too, but after reading posts above i think i understand. I used to think that the way that god would fill that physical touch need was by sending me the right guy (at some stage..... still waiting...).
but yea.. maybe no!

J

Jennifleur

I'll try and summarize the basics a little later when I have time. But my love language is physical touch as well, and after reading the book it made much more sense why I love worship so much (it's my favorite part of church, and I have recently joined the worship team) - it is because, when I worship, I can feel the presence of the Holy Spirit most powerfully. When I feel the Holy Spirit's presence heavily at any given time, that is when I feel most impacted by God's love. I'll see if I can find a better explanation for it from the book. :)

V

Vidy

I'll try and summarize the basics a little later when I have time. But my love language is physical touch as well, and after reading the book it made much more sense why I love worship so much (it's my favorite part of church, and I have recently joined the worship team) - it is because, when I worship, I can feel the presence of the Holy Spirit most powerfully. When I feel the Holy Spirit's presence heavily at any given time, that is when I feel most impacted by God's love. I'll see if I can find a better explanation for it from the book. :)
That stuff seems more emotional to me, and I'm not really an emotional person... I can imagine touch to the point where I almost feel it, but it's not the same as real physical touch =S I see where you're coming from, but it's just not the same as a hug or kiss =(

I know God loves me, and he shows it, but how do I show love back even?? I'm not "words of affirmation" so I'm not like "Oh, you're so holy, you're almighty, ect." because I just KNOW he is and don't feel the need to say it. Acts of service and gifts to God... I follow his commandments and will tithe when I actually start making money lol. Beyond that, I can't think of much... For quality time, prayer of course. And for physical touch... You can't TOUCH God =/ Even if he had a way to touch me, I would feel like I wasn't adequately showing love to Him because I couldn't touch Him back 0_o