Internet download and upload speed

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
Hi everyone

Can someone please help me out.
I've been having internet problems whereby sometimes the pages won't load or take ages to load and sometimes, while I'm watching a video on youtube, it stops and starts.
When I attach2 simple one page documents on email it takes awhile to upload it.

I asked my internet technician and he came and checked my internet connection and wifi and said all is good.
He said the speed blah blah blah is fine and he told me that something must be wrong with my pc. He couldn't be bothered to give me any advice and left.

Anyway, someone told me about checking speed test on the net Ookla Speedtest - The Global Broadband Speed Test. So I did it today as it was rather slow.
It showed download as 6.48mbps and upload as 0.35 mbps
Does this mean its slow??

I'm thinking of changing provider. What download and upload speed should I look for and anything else that I should look for?

Thanks
Luv in Christ

D

djness

Do you have DSL? Yes, those speeds are very low, it looks like quite possibly the lowest speed dsl speed available.
Also, your internet provider technicians aren't paid to work on your computer just the internet services.
In fact they can be fired for doing that because when they usually try they mess something up and the company get sued.
I think pretty typical internet speeds for most providers in the 50$ range is about 20mbps down and 3 mbps up.

If you are trying to upload a document and your speed is this [0.35 (megabits per second) = 358.4 kilobits per second]
Then yes it will take awhile. Dial up speed is 56kbps so you are basically six times dial up speed. I think you get the idea
;)

G

GRA

A few days ago:

ping - 61 ms
down - 0.45 Mbps
up - 1.17 Mpbs

A few minutes ago:

ping - 131 ms
down - 0.32 Mbps
up - 0.51 Mpbs

SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW ..................................................

( "It's not even normal for 'up' to be greater than 'down'..." :rolleyes: )

* shakes head *

:( :( :(

R

reject-tech

You are also limited by the speed at which a particular website will give or take information, and websites and particularly their bulk hosting companies are tightening them down as low as they can as they get more and more visitors.

These speeds are far far lower than what your connection is capable of.