Is being "unequally yoked" a reasonable excuse for a woman to leave her husband?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
So, a person in a physically abusive relationship is required to stay and continue to take the abuse?
According to the CDC, "In the 20 years from 1995–2015, the estimated rates of violent intimate partner victimization among women and men decreased from 15.5 and 2.8, respectively, to 5.4 per 1,000 women and 0.5 per 1,000 men."

Now, I ask you this: How many married women have presented as victims of domestic violence in your church in the past ten years? While abusive relationships are horrible, that's not what I'm talking about here.

I believe we should be careful about how much fuel we are adding to satan's divorce playground by throwing around the term "unequally yoked" so loosely and without context.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Okay, so without looking like I'm setting a trap, I would simply point out that marriage counseling will not save the unsaved spouse. Saying that a marriage needs counselling sessions simply because one person is a non-believer , would, in my opinion, set a dangerous precedent.

You are not alone in this thought, however. Many preachers espouse the idea that a marriage isn't whole until the other spouse is saved. This gives the greenlight for many young Christian women to pick up and leave due to "righteous conviction."

The church typically will side with the wife stating, "We feel your pain." After all he must of done something horrible to her since he's a non-believer.

But unfornately, the most horrible thing done here was to the children by separating them from their father. And in most cases, he will be traded in for a new one.

The children come away with at least these three assumtions when they get older:

1. Christianity is a farce since no one stays together anyway

2. According to the Bible, my mom is an adulterer and a hypocrite

3. Marriage stinks, so it's best just to live together
on your 1st statement, that is forecasting failure in advance. it is possible that marriage counseling is the turning point. no one knows. there is a multiplicity quite large, of possibilities that can be the turning point. concerning your 3 point stance, yes, that may occur but those aren't the only possibilities either. that stance is of a negative outlook.

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
According to the CDC, "In the 20 years from 1995–2015, the estimated rates of violent intimate partner victimization among women and men decreased from 15.5 and 2.8, respectively, to 5.4 per 1,000 women and 0.5 per 1,000 men."

Now, I ask you this: How many married women have presented as victims of domestic violence in your church in the past ten years? While abusive relationships are horrible, that's not what I'm talking about here.

I believe we should be careful about how much fuel we are adding to satan's divorce playground by throwing around the term "unequally yoked" so loosely and without context.
When you state an absolute, you have to answer questions like this. Statistics don't matter when you're the one fearing for your life.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
that stance is of a negative outlook.
Since divorce is negative what did you expect? No that is realism which many churches refuse to address. Since Paul was advising on marriage all along, that should have automatically been a part of church membership and church teaching.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
Romans 7:3
So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Curious how folks read the above verse, what conclusion do y'all come up with?
1. A married woman can't marry a second guy, can't be married to both at the same time obviously...
2. Only widows can remarry, this excludes divorced women...

Romans 7
1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she isno adulteress, though she be married to another man.
4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.