Is cleanliness next to godliness?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I have, when I could. Sharing with others who have less is a native virtue I had before I became a Christian.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Many do wash each other's feet right after the Holy Communion. It signifies a spirit of humble servitude towards each other. Men wash men's feet, women wash women's. A woman dried Jesus feet with her hair. This might have signified the preparation of His body for burial?
This is sometimes done at passover, my friends church did this as their tradition. We had passover but we didnt so this, but we did have a womens retreat and washed each others feet, and some even had pedicures. It is a gift to give a sister a pedicure. If you dont have the time, give a voucher.
We have footspas at church, but if some of the oldies cant come in we just go to their homes and give them one. Older people cant bend down easily.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have, when I could. Sharing with others who have less is a native virtue I had before I became a Christian.
Well thats good everyone ought to but maybe for others its harder. Some people arent used to sharing. Middleborns and younger children are used to it I suppose, having all the handmedowns.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I was thinking on toilets. Now i live in a city that is expanding and the current sewerage system is old and cant really cope. So we seeing effects of this in our rivers and beaches. We might think we being clean but we really dirtying someone elses habitat!
I think its better to have some sort of composting toilet system than to use fresh drinking water to flush away waste and it often goes directly out to sea. Our harbours are silting up but thats only cos the mangroves are trying to filter the water. In thr Bible, the isralites did the right thing and buried their waste far from camp, they didnt flush it out to sea. I think sometimes humans can be as unsanitary as dogs that dont cover up their poop.

Mar 21, 2019
Where does this phrase come from, is it from the Bible?

How clean are we meant to be, and how can we stay clean. Does the Bible have any tips. Are we meant to wash everyday? What do we do with our waste?
Is being clean the same as being holy?
I think part of the Israelites being holy was that they were clean. They had all sorts of laws to follow which relate in ways to cleanliness, from not eating certain unclean foods, to not touching the dead, to quarantining people when diseased, to males being circumcised, to females having to wash during their monthly periods, to houses having to be destroyed if they contained mould etc.

I guess this gave us a picture of physical holiness and cleanliness, but what is most important is the holiness and cleanliness of our hearts - by being washed in the blood of the Lamb.