Is democracy threatened if companies can sue countries?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 27, 2013
Is democracy threatened if companies can sue countries? - BBC News

Those protesting against the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), the proposed new trade treaty between the European Union and the United States, are part of a growing international opposition to pacts that allow multinational companies to sue governments whose policies damage their interests.

AJJ

Banned
Mar 29, 2015
Absolutely. Money is the means by which countries do anything really. If companies can influence legislation with money to further their own interests then they already own the law. Countries don't stand a chance. Say hello to privatized nations. They already exist, now they'll just be public and legal! This is bad because corporations are only after profits. They don't redistribute wealth even to the degrees that governments do. CEO's get where they are by being driven by cash.

Wealth disparity? Watch it get worse. Much worse.

Last edited:

3Scoreand10

Absolutely. Money is the means by which countries do anything really. If companies can influence legislation with money to further their own interests then they already own the law. Countries don't stand a chance. Say hello to privatized nations. They already exist, now they'll just be public and legal! This is bad because corporations are only after profits. They don't redistribute wealth even to the degrees that governments do. CEO's get where they are by being driven by cash.

Wealth disparity? Watch it get worse. Much worse.
Why do so many young people seem to want everyting handed to them. Want everyone to receive an egual share regardless of their effort.
I spent 45 years working for 2 different national Grocery chains.
It never bothered me that they made millions of dollars. Actually, I was glad they did because the more they made, the more I made.
Did I get rich? No, but Because I learned the business and worked hard and became a productive worker, I lived a comfortable life and now have a comfortable retirement.
I turned down many opportitunitys for advancement and more money because it would take time from my family and my service to my Lord.
If you will put God and family first, learn, work hard, become productive, and stop complaining about those God ALLOWS to have more, you will have a more enjoyable and productive life.

Jan 27, 2013
that allow multinational companies to sue governments whose policies damage their interests.
for example.
if, some companies, sue government / governments, and win in court . and are awarded say 100 million(could be any number, but knowing courts theses day millions is just a number lol) how will government pay for it.
would that money be payed by your tax dollars, or governments own money.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
that allow multinational companies to sue governments whose policies damage their interests.
for example.
if, some companies, sue government / governments, and win in court . and are awarded say 100 million(could be any number, but knowing courts theses day millions is just a number lol) how will government pay for it.
would that money be payed by your tax dollars, or governments own money.

Whatever money a Government has, it came from the Citizens. Governments DO NOT have their own money.