Is Eternal Salvation Biblical?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
So that is my question. Is eternal salvation biblical, or UNbiblical? I read some posts on another thread in this forum, where the person revealed that they do NOT believe in eternal salvation/ security, but yet they posted verses that specifically stated that we DO have eternal salvation.. Please try to answer these two questions, and use scripture. :)

1.) Is eternal salvation, or eternal security, biblical or unbiblical?

2.) Is there such a thing as EARTHLY salvation, and is that biblical or unbiblical?
2 a.) Exactly what IS earthly salvation? Does the bible mention it?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
This should be interesting.

I like my popcorn with butter, salt and a sprinkle of Tabasco.

Not a one verse and three line answer to this question.

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

If condemnation is eternal then life with Christ must also be eternal.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Thank you, Roger. :) There are too many verses in the bible that speak of eternal salvation, so despite people saying that it's unbiblical, it amazes me that they don't believe what God has to say on it.

This should be interesting.

I like my popcorn with butter, salt and a sprinkle of Tabasco.

Not a one verse and three line answer to this question.

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

If condemnation is eternal then life with Christ must also be eternal.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Nov 22, 2015
How long is "eternal?" How long is "everlasting"?

Until the next sin someone does? Did Jesus not save us from our sins? Is He not the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world and whosoever believes in Him receives the forgiveness of sins and has eternal life? Maybe we think until death takes us out of the world? Is death our Savior?

Is Jesus a liar?

Jesus said "The Holy Spirit will be in you forever."

Jesus said that it is the will of My Father that whoever beholds the Son and believes - has eternal life.

Jesus said "I will never leave you nor forsake you"

Jesus said that "No one can pluck My sheep out of My hand nor My Father's hand."

Jesus said " I lose none that come to Me will I lose".

Now, we all need to make a decision - is Jesus really a liar? Can He be trusted?

Me, I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and what He has done in the cross and resurrection.

I say categorically that the Lord Jesus Christ is NOT a liar and that He will be faithful to us all that belong to Him.

B

BeyondET

So that is my question. Is eternal salvation biblical, or UNbiblical?

2.) Is there such a thing as EARTHLY salvation, and is that biblical or unbiblical?
Well IMO it's both, Salvation descended and ascended on earth from the Eternal...

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
So that is my question. Is eternal salvation biblical, or UNbiblical? I read some posts on another thread in this forum, where the person revealed that they do NOT believe in eternal salvation/ security, but yet they posted verses that specifically stated that we DO have eternal salvation.. Please try to answer these two questions, and use scripture. :)

1- of course eternal salvation is biblical. God wouldn't have made this whole earth, and had His Son die for nothing.

2- there is an earthly salvation because those who will make it to heaven first have to endure earthly trials. They literally are heaven on earth. This is like asking if babies exist before they're actually born. Every baby born was first a genuine baby in the womb.

Those born of God will be His children forever IF they don't die first. Some babies die before birth due to natural and unnatural reasons. Not that it's their fault, but in speaking of being spiritually dead after they had been spiritually alive, would be their fault. And if they die in a "prodigal son state" they seal their fate forever. A Christian must remain faithful till the end.

God knows which ones will remain faithful, and which ones will lose their salvation. David remained faithful, King Saul did not, and the Spirit of God left him.

If you are given a free pass to get into Disney Land, all you have to do is hand it to them at the gate, and they will let you in for free. But if you lose your free pass, they will not let you in at the gate.

It is possible to lose a free gift that someone gave you. You must hold onto it.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2016
Many today believe one can get saved, live like the devil (they say you shouldn't, but they also say you'd still be saved if ya did) and still go to Heaven.

This is pure bull malarkey

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
Many today believe one can get saved, live like the devil (they say you shouldn't, but they also say you'd still be saved if ya did) and still go to Heaven.

You are correct what ya just said is pure malarkey
Blessings
Bill

Dec 12, 2013
Whatsoever God does is everlasting, nothing added nor taken away from it Ecclesiastes 3:14

Salvation is eternal, it is based upon the faith of Christ, his promises, his work, his sacrifice, his shed blood, his righteousness being applied by faith and the sealing of the Holy Spirit which is the down payment of our eternal inheritance.....it cannot be lost and or gained by works or sin as sin has forever been settled....this daily salvation that was mentioned by a worker for is false.....we are saved the moment we believe, are saved right now and saved into the future for all eternity....GREEK VERB TENSE forever settles the longevity of our salvation...it sets forth a present continuing result from a past COMPLETED ACTION....

Dec 12, 2013

Blah blah blah......1st Corinthians 3, the brother commiting fornication, the prodigal son, David etc all prove this spewed statement to be false......!

Dec 12, 2013
Thank you, Roger. :) There are too many verses in the bible that speak of eternal salvation, so despite people saying that it's unbiblical, it amazes me that they don't believe what God has to say on it.
Well....like the Pharisees....when one is blind they cannot see....such is the case concerning those who lose and gain salvation like those who buy tickets to the rides in a carnival!

notuptome

May 17, 2013
1- of course eternal salvation is biblical. God wouldn't have made this whole earth, and had His Son die for nothing.

2- there is an earthly salvation because those who will make it to heaven first have to endure earthly trials. They literally are heaven on earth. This is like asking if babies exist before they're actually born. Every baby born was first a genuine baby in the womb.

Those born of God will be His children forever IF they don't die first. Some babies die before birth due to natural and unnatural reasons. Not that it's their fault, but in speaking of being spiritually dead after they had been spiritually alive, would be their fault. And if they die in a "prodigal son state" they seal their fate forever. A Christian must remain faithful till the end.

God knows which ones will remain faithful, and which ones will lose their salvation. David remained faithful, King Saul did not, and the Spirit of God left him.

If you are given a free pass to get into Disney Land, all you have to do is hand it to them at the gate, and they will let you in for free. But if you lose your free pass, they will not let you in at the gate.

It is possible to lose a free gift that someone gave you. You must hold onto it.
God is not capricious that would be foreign to His character. You must have Jehovah God confused with Allah.

Believers are sealed by God with the Holy Spirit of God unto the day of redemption. It is not in the power or will of the believer to violate that seal.

Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

It is the joy of our Savior Christ to present us faultless before the throne of God in heaven.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017

Ephesians 1:13-14In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

The Holy Spirit is the guarantee or our inheritance (glorified bodies) until​ we acquire possession of it (glorified body).

The famous John 3:14-16 this verse is used for everything, from universal atonement, limited atonement, God loves everyone, He died for everyone, eternal security.

"
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up,15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.16For God so loved the world,that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." Jesus death covers the sins of the world, He died for the believing ones, they will not go to hell, but have eternal life. Notice the believing ones, should not go to hell or perish and they have eternal life, not they might get, maybe get eternal life, you understand what I'm saying.

John 10:28-29 "
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand."

Jesus gave them eternal life, they did not earn it, since they didn't earn it, they can't lose it because it is not dependent on them. They will never perish, they will never go to hell. No one can take them out of Jesus' hand or the Father's, triple guarantee, here the Father and the Son, Ephesians 1:14 the Holy Spirit is bond or seal of that guarantee. No one can snatch you from the Fathers hand or Jesus' hand. Ephesians 4:30
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. This seal is the guarantee that it will happen, it's the official seal of the King that is not opened until it arrives to where the King intends for them to go. If someone did open it before it arrived to the appoints destination, they would be killed on the spot.

Romans 8:35-39
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?36 As it is written,“For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Many people yes, BUT, you can walk away or give it up, no you can't, nor anything else in all creation,​ are you not part of creation? Yes. So not even you can separate you from the love God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. If there is something you can do to lose your salvation, then there is something you need to do to keep your salvation. But you can not because it is a gift from God, so if you received it because of your faith, it is a payment or your faith and not the gift of grace. If grace is not first, you receive it because of a work or merit you've done.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

Yes and yes. The word saved in the Bible does not always mean the eternal salvation of the soul. Sometimes it is used in reference the saving the flesh from death as in Matthew 24.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. This salvation is dependent upon enduring to the end. The end of what? The Great Tribulation

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

The salvation in Matthew 24 is of the body being kept alive during the Great Tribulation by enduring through the hardships and keeping oneself spotless from the mark of the beast. If the days were not shortened, no one would physically survive.

F

FreeNChrist

YES......

"Whoever believes in the Son HAS eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.John 3:36

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, HAS eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but HAS passed out of death into life." John 5:24

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes HAS eternal life."
John 6:47

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Yes, but there is no saving of the flesh. We're all going to die. And many will die during the Great Tribulation.. JMO

Yes and yes. The word saved in the Bible does not always mean the eternal salvation of the soul. Sometimes it is used in reference the saving the flesh from death as in Matthew 24.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. This salvation is dependent upon enduring to the end. The end of what? The Great Tribulation

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

The salvation in Matthew 24 is of the body being kept alive during the Great Tribulation by enduring through the hardships and keeping oneself spotless from the mark of the beast. If the days were not shortened, no one would physically survive.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Yes, but there is no saving of the flesh. We're all going to die. And many will die during the Great Tribulation.. JMO
There is the salvation of the flesh from dying throughout the Bible. Matthew 24 is one instance. Paul was saved many times from dying.

Acts 27:31, Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Wouldn't that be called "healing"? Paul may have been saved (healed) of many things, but in the end, he still died. As will we all. :)

There is the salvation of the flesh from dying throughout the Bible. Matthew 24 is one instance. Paul was saved many times from dying.

Acts 27:31, Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved.

Nov 22, 2015

I agree...

We have to keep 2 aspects in mind when interpreting scriptures on salvation.

Salvation manifests itself here in this earth and also for going to be with the Lord because we are in Christ - sealed by the Holy Spirit when we believed as Paul said in Eph. 1:13 ; 4:30.

Start shooting heroin in your arms today and you will NOT experience salvation - that is life and wholeness on this earth for very long.

Confuse the 2 and we will come up with all kinds of works-based salvationists views

I believe we have to differentiate between "going to heaven to be with the Lord " salvation and - "being saved from the things that can destroy us here while being on this earth."

There are different manifestations of salvation in Christ - one is going to be with the Lord - the other is concerning the things of this life on earth.

The promised land is a type of being in Christ now - it is not a type of heaven as there will be no giants to fight in heaven.

Moses did not get to rest in what God had already provided for the Israelites - but yet Moses is with God now.

The promised land is a type of living here on this earth by believing in the promises of God. Only Caleb and Joshua were the ones that got to experience the promises of God in the promised land because they believed in what God had said.

We can inherit now in this life some things that are of the kingdom of God because the kingdom of God is within us...however if we don't have our minds renewed to the truth in Christ ( which includes living by the Spirit within us ) - we can not experience the things of the kingdom that are available to us believers.

Scripture uses the same Greek word - " salvation, saved
" = wholeness, preservation, keep safe, deliverance, make well - for both being saved from things in this life and for going to be with the Lord for eternity.

If we don't understand this difference we will continually be mis-applying scriptures that talk about "being saved here in this life from things" and "going to be with the Lord because we are one spirit with Him".

There is eternal salvation and there is manifestation of salvation from temporal things while on this earth. Confuse the two and we end up with a mixed up message of self-effort for going to heaven and only the blood of Jesus does that.

Jesus is either our Savior for going to be in heaven with Him or we are our own savior by helping Him. One is by grace through faith-righteousness - the other is works-righteousness.

Everyone is free to believe what they want and we can agree to disagree as well. Let's just rely on the Holy spirit to reveal the things of Christ to us.