Is God in the OT named Yahweh or El?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 14, 2013
Been trying to study the Hebrew translation of the Bible and have noticed
that the English translations don't reflect the Hebrew accurately.

Numbers 23:22 Hebrew translation reads
"El brought them out of Egypt...."

Numbers 23 - Hebrew English Translation Massoretic Text MT Interlinear Holy Name King James Version KJV Strong's Concordance Online Parallel Bible Study

Exodus 6:3 Hebrew reads
"And I appeared unto Abraham....by the name of El but by my
name Yahweh, I was not known to them."

Exodus 6 - Hebrew English Translation Massoretic Text MT Interlinear Holy Name King James Version KJV Strong's Concordance Online Parallel Bible Study

El was a Canaanite deity.
El (deity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

K

kenisyes

God is called Elohim in some places, Yahweh (vowels uncertain) is the name He gives to Moses. He has other names in Hebrew also, just as He does in English. Just as in English, various names (God, the MOst High, the Man Upstairs, the Creator, etc.) all mean something a little different about Him. Hebrew being the language of the chosen people, those names are closer to the truth than in English.

Oct 14, 2013
I guess I'm having trouble seeing how El could be the deity of the Canaanites as well
as the Isrealites at the same time.

Sep 4, 2012
El means GOD, which is not a name, but a nature. YHWH (Yahweh) is a proper name.

In human terms, El would be synonymous with the word man, and YHWH would be synonymous with a man's name, e.g., Frank.

The Canaanites may have had a god named El, but it was a different language than Hebrew.