Is God vulnerable?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 26, 2013
I didn't want to bring my opinion into this question... and I needed at least 10 characters
peace!

Mar 26, 2013
hmm, not a lot of takers...
let me elaborate a little:
does God feel pain?
does God change his mind?
does God think, or is God just action?
does God have a soul?
can God be weak?
can God cry?
can God mourn?
can God express emotion?
can God experience new things?

W

wwjd_kilden

As in?

If He can be physically damaged? Jesus was killed, so in that sense, He can.
On the other hand, God, in the character of the Father, is not flesh, nor mind, so in that sense: no

ok, maybe that wasn't much of an answer :p

*sits down and waits for the others*

W

wwjd_kilden

let me elaborate a little:
does God feel pain? Yes
does God change his mind? Yes, but not His promises
does God think, or is God just action? I think that with God, thoughts are actions
does God have a soul? mmno, a soul is something within man that makes us humans
can God be weak? He can make himself weak , Jacob fought God
can God cry? Yes, Jesus did
can God mourn? ---
can God express emotion? ---
can God experience new things? hmmmmm, difficult one, since God is all- knowing

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Did God die on the cross?

S

sunnygurl

Is God vulnerable - thats a tricky question

Jesus is probably the vulnerability of God in human form.

Does God feel pain, does He mourn, yes He does I believe this is evident in His love for us. Do we grieve His heart of course we do we are fallen people constantly fighting our fleshly desires and mistreating each other - it must be awful for God to always witness our human failings.

But I know He always delight in us when we walk in His light and treat each other with love and compassion as Jesus Christ did.

Reading the Bible reveals many of these quailities that you question about God.

It reveals that HE can change His mind when we humble ourselves. He does express emotion also evident in reading the word especially the OT.

Hope this helps a little I'm sure there are many others that can bring more enlightenment on this subject , this is just my 10 cents worth :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2013
All those that believe in a resistant being called the Devil believe God can have a real tangible resistor. Is there a tangible resistance to God as a being?

The answer to both is of course - no.

God is eternal and the only thing against him is something he created and wants to allow - human freewill.
Jesus, God's SON, died on the cross. God cannot die.

L

livingepistle

All those that believe in a resistant being called the Devil believe God can have a real tangible resistor. Is there a tangible resistance to God as a being?

The answer to both is of course - no.

God is eternal and the only thing against him is something he created and wants to allow - human freewill.
Jesus, God's SON, died on the cross. God cannot die.
Do you believe that you are eternal/have an eternal soul?

L

livingepistle

I didn't want to bring my opinion into this question... and I needed at least 10 characters
peace!
If G-d was vulnerable He would not be G-d.

Jan 10, 2013
Do you believe that you are eternal/have an eternal soul?
No - of course not - the first being that came up with that idea was shown to us
Genesis 3:4 The serpent said to the woman, "Surely you will not die,

The idea of the immortal soul is from Plato, not from God and so you'll find, not in the Bible.

I

intercessorginger

No God is God.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Define your terms.
What exactly and specifically do you mean by vulnerable?

If we aren't going to define terms, then we can make anything mean anything.

But, as far as a common usage of the word vulnerable, I would say that God the creator is invulnerable, and yet in the person of Christ he "made himself" vulnerable for a short period of time, for a very specific reason.

Photoss

Sep 15, 2012
God is above vulnerable, just like God is above change, above man's idea of 'good', etc.

Dec 19, 2009
The Lord is not vulnerable. However, the great and first commandment is that we love him with all our hearts, minds, and souls (Matthew 22:34-40).

S

SeekingJC

God is what God wants to be. And in that He has no vulnerability. God transcends our definitions and thinking. It's true He sent His son to teach, suffer, and die on the cross for us. However, He rose from the dead! So I guess my answer is its really a best guess scenario since the mind and emotions of God are incomprehensible to humans. But my opinion is no He is not in any respect.