Is Hell Missing from Your Bible? - By David W. Daniels

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
Is Hell Missing from Your Bible?

By David W. Daniels

[video=youtube;CevhPd3-Ro8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevhPd3-Ro8[/video]​

T

Tintin

No, Hell isn't missing from my Bible because I use the NRSV and NLT translations.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
The cult of the King James only strikes again.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Hell is missing from much preaching though. Not only is it politically incorrect ...it is sooooo 'unloving'.
Besides it's not in the Church Growth Manual $$$$.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
No, Hell isn't missing from my Bible because I use the NRSV and NLT translations.
Well Tintin, actually your corrupt NLT translation still removes Mark 9:44, and Mark 9:46:

Mark 9:44
New International Version (©2011)

New Living Translation (©2007)

English Standard Version (©2001)

New American Standard Bible (©1995)

where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Mark 9:46

where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.
Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)

Also, your NLT does remove Hell. It jsut removes it more from the Old Testament. Here are some examples and comparisons. Also, I will include a few other of the modern versions to show you that they all line up with eachother. Also, you will see how in each of these examples, the King James Bible correctly translates the Hebrew word as Hell. While the modern versions refuse to translate the Hebrew word.

Deuteronomy 32:22

For a fire will be kindled by my wrath, one that burns down to the realm of
the dead below. It will devour the earth and its harvests and set afire the foundations of the mountains.

For my anger blazes forth like fire and burns to the depths of
the grave. It devours the earth and all its crops and ignites the foundations of the mountains.

For a fire is kindled by my anger, and it burns to the
depths of Sheol, devours the earth and its increase, and sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.

For a fire is kindled in My anger, And burns to the lowest
part of Sheol, And consumes the earth with its yield, And sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.

For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto
the lowest hell
, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

Now let's have a look at 2 Samuel 22:6:

2 Samuel 22:6

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: btext, colspan: 2"]
The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me.

The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path.

the cords of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me.

The cords of Sheol surrounded me; The snares of death confronted me.

The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;

Job 11:8

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: btext, colspan: 2"]New International Version (©2011)
They are higher than the heavens above--what can you do? They are deeper than the depths below--what can you know?

Such knowledge is higher than the heavens--and who are you? It is deeper than the underworld--what do you know?

It is higher than heaven—what can you do? Deeper than Sheol—what can you know?

"They are high as the heavens, what can you do? Deeper than Sheol, what can you know?

It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?

Let's go ahead and look at another example:

Job 26:6

The realm of the dead is naked before God; Destruction lies uncovered.

The underworld is naked in God's presence. The place of destruction is uncovered.

Sheol is naked before God, and Abaddon has no covering.

"Naked is Sheol before Him, And Abaddon has no covering.

Hell is naked before him, and destruction hath no covering.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Psalm 9:17

The wicked go down to the realm of the dead, all the nations that forget God.

The wicked will go down to the grave. This is the fate of all the nations who ignore God.

The wicked shall return to Sheol, all the nations that forget God.

The wicked will return to Sheol, Even all the nations who forget God.

The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

Here while several of the new versions refuse to translate the Hebrew word into Hell, your NLT not only refuses to translate the Hebrew word correctly, but it wrongly translates it as the grave. Everyone is going to the grave, whether they are righteous or whether they are wicked. And to teach that the fate of all nations that forget God is that they are going to go down into the grave, that is not really a punishment. The real Bible says that the wicked and all Nations that forget God will be turned into Hell.

Psalm 16:10

because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay.

For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.

For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.

For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.

For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Psalm 18:5

The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me.

The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path.

the cords of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me.

The cords of Sheol surrounded me; The snares of death confronted me.

The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.

Psalm 55:15

Let death take my enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the realm of the dead, for evil finds lodging among them.

Let death stalk my enemies; let the grave swallow them alive, for evil makes its home within them.

Let death steal over them; let them go down to Sheol alive; for evil is in their dwelling place and in their heart.

Let death come deceitfully upon them; Let them go down alive to Sheol, For evil is in their dwelling, in their midst.

Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings,and among them.

Psalm 86:13

For great is your love toward me; you have delivered me from the depths, from the realm of the dead.

for your love for me is very great. You have rescued me from the depths of death.

For great is your steadfast love toward me; you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

For Your lovingkindness toward me is great, And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest
hell.

Psalm 116:3

The cords of death entangled me, the anguish of the grave came over me; I was overcome by distress and sorrow.

Death wrapped its ropes around me; the terrors of the grave overtook me. I saw only trouble and sorrow.

The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish.

The cords of death encompassed me And the terrors of Sheol came upon me; I found distress and sorrow.

The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.

Anguish and terrors of the grave? I don't see what would be so scary about the grave, of course if someone was perhaps buried alive, I could see how that could be frightening. But the text is not talking about the grave, it is talking about the pains of Hell. Why won't the modern versions just translate the Hebrew Text correctly?

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011

Psalm 139:8

If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there.

If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!

If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Again, the modern bible versions will not translate the Hebrew word Sheol as Hell. Why is that?
Because they are satanic. Satan does not want to be reminded of Hell, because that is where he is going one day. And he is going to be in Hell and the Lake of Fire for all Eternity.

Proverbs 5:5

Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave.

Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave.

Her feet go down to death; her steps follow the path to Sheol;

Her feet go down to death, Her steps take hold of Sheol.

Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.

Proverbs 7:27

Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death.

Her house is the road to the grave. Her bedroom is the den of death.

Her house is the way to Sheol, going down to the chambers of death.

Her house is the way to Sheol, Descending to the chambers of death.

Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

Proverbs 9:18

But little do they know that the dead are there, that her guests are deep in the realm of the dead.

But little do they know that the dead are there. Her guests are in the depths of the grave.

But he does not know that the dead are there, that her guests are in the depths of Sheol.

But he does not know that the dead are there, That her guests are in the depths of Sheol.

But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in
the depths of hell.

Proverbs 15:11

Death and Destruction lie open before the LORD-- how much more do human hearts!

Even Death and Destruction hold no secrets from the LORD. How much more does he know the human heart!

Sheol and Abaddon lie open before the LORD; how much more the hearts of the children of man!

Sheol and Abaddon lie open before the LORD, How much more the hearts of men!

Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?

Jonah 2:2

He said: "In my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help, and you listened to my cry.

He said, "I cried out to the LORD in my great trouble, and he answered me. I called to you from the land of the dead, and LORD, you heard me!

saying, “I called out to the LORD, out of my distress, and he answered me; out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice.

and he said, "I called out of my distress to the LORD, And He answered me. I cried for help from the depth of Sheol; You heard my voice.

And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Habakkuk 2:5

indeed, wine betrays him; he is arrogant and never at rest. Because he is as greedy as the grave and like death is never satisfied, he gathers to himself all the nations and takes captive all the peoples.

Wealth is treacherous, and the arrogant are never at rest. They open their mouths as wide as the grave, and like death, they are never satisfied. In their greed they have gathered up many nations and swallowed many peoples.

“Moreover, wine is a traitor, an arrogant man who is never at rest. His greed is as wide as Sheol; like death he has never enough. He gathers for himself all nations and collects as his own all peoples.”

"Furthermore, wine betrays the haughty man, So that he does not stay at home. He enlarges his appetite like Sheol, And he is like death, never satisfied. He also gathers to himself all nations And collects to himself all peoples.

Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people:

Luke 16:23

In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

and his soul went to the place of the dead. There, in torment, he saw Abraham in the far distance with Lazarus at his side.

and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.

"In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.

And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Last time I checked Tintin, Hell is NOT the Grave. So the New Living Translation does indeed take Hell out of the Text. It is just it doesn't take it all the way out. See, the devil is subtil. Always remember that Tintin. So obviously, there was something that you did not even know about your own preferred translation. The modern versions line up a lot with the New World Translation which is the bible that the Jehovah's Witnesses use. And of course they don't believe in Hell, so they make sure that their favorite translation (the NWT) also take Hell out.

And in all those examples Tintin, Hell was taken out of your preferred translaton (the NLT) and also the other modern bible versions. Only the King James Bible translated the Hebrew word entirely. Now I understand that Hell is not completely taken out of the NIV, NLT, ESV, etc. But the very fact that it is removed entirely from the Old Testament in these modern versions just shows that these new versions are indeed satanic and wicked.

So your preferred translation Tintin does indeed take Hell out from its text lots of times. The only reason it has been completely taken out is because Satan is very subtil. And Satan probably realized that any bible version that takes Hell completely out, well that no true Christian would buy it then.

I know that I did not address your other preferred translation (the NRSV). But I encourage you to take out your NRSV. And to go through each of these verses which I shared here, and I guarantee that it too takes out Hell from its Old Testament.

One more thing though Tintin. Are you aware that your preferred NLT translation also removes the term "Sodomite" from its text?

Take a look at this:

Corrupted Scriptures in the New Living Translation

• Deuteronomy - "sodomite" changed to "temple prostitute"
  • 1 Kings 14:24 - "sodomites" replaced with "shrine prostitutes"
  • 1 Kings 15:12 - "sodomites" replaced with "shrine prostitutes"
  • 1 Kings 22:46 - "sodomites" replaced with "shrine prostitutes"
  • 2 Kings 23:7 - "sodomites" replaced with "shrine prostitutes"

Aug 10, 2013
My Bible is complete. There's nothing missing. It's the Douay-Rheims Bible.

Feb 27, 2013
Hell or Common Grave ?
Examining what happened to Jesus after he died helps to answer that question. The Bible writer Luke recounts: “Neither was [Jesus] forsaken in Hades [hell, King James Version] nor did his flesh see corruption.”* (Acts 2:31) Where was the hell to which even Jesus went? The apostle Paul wrote: “I handed on to you . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; and that he was buried, yes, that he has been raised up the third day according to the Scriptures.” (1 Corinthians 15:3, 4) So Jesus was in hell, the grave, but he was not abandoned there, for he was raised up, or resurrected.

Consider also the case of the righteous man Job, who suffered much. Wishing to escape his plight, he pleaded: “Who will grant me this, that thou mayest protect me in hell[Sheol], and hide me till thy wrath pass?”* (Job 14:13, Douay Version) How unreasonable to think that Job desired to go to a fiery-hot place for protection! To Job, “hell” was simply the grave, where his suffering would end. The Bible hell, then, is the common grave of mankind where good people as well as bad ones go.

What Really Is Hell? — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY