is it ever okay to lie?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 13, 2009
is it? as we know it's one of the 10 commandments. (the infamous, never break em' ones, that moses broke and then God had to make some more, because time and time again, moses isn't a patient man)

But, is there any instance that it could be justified in?

here's a scenario I'd like you to consider:

you are living in germany during world war II and you are safe housing Jews.

members of the SS knock on your door and ask you if you are safe housing any Jews.

do YOU

A. LIE and tell them you are not, thereby saving people from getting tortured, murdered, over labored etc etc.

B. tell the truth, and turn the Jews over, and possibly get killed yourself? (actually, probably)

so answer it, and tell me why you chose that answer

and if you want, I'm sure you can come up with more justifiable scenarios.

Last edited:
K

kiwi_OT

I suggest you watch a movie called 'Bonhoffer', its a B grade film about a radical awesome god loving pastor called Dietrich Bonhoffer who was one of the few ministers to openly defy the Nazi's, compared to most of the others who just followed quietly the 'aryan purist lets worship Hitler kind of church' , and in the movie the actor goes over that ethical question of lying.
Excellent to watch, I recommend it.

S

shovelmaster

mmm...nope.

C

ClimbingUpward

Thou shalt not lie

J

Jenny87

No. God doesn't lie, therefore we should not as well.

G

Gabriel777

What God says He means. Thou SHALL NOT lie. No "unless" or "if" or "except". No means no.

J

jesus_be4_religion

Actually the bible says that if the truth would hurt that person bad and it does not need to be known it would be better to lie in that circumstance.

J

jesus_be4_religion

Heres a circumstance: a women asks do you think I am ugly or fat?

S

shrone

...the cowardly,unbelieving, abominable,murderers,sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all LIARS shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death...REV 21:8

H

hapi-gurl

It's definitely wrong to lie. But people all around us have different ideas. Take an example of my former high school teacher,she once told us that there are 'ethical lies', which she said are ok. It's really confusing!

J

Jordan9

To the Nazi example

I'd lie and repent later. I am fairly sure God would understand my motivations, if not agree with them.

T

tryingtofindhim

Yes, I'm sure it would be fine. I mean think about the harlot who lied to save the people fighting in the battle of Jericho. God's hand was in that and they lied.

G

Garrison

Heres a circumstance: a women asks do you think I am ugly or fat?
Either find a way around it, or tell 'em the truth... Hmm that may not go so well, depending on what the truth is.