Is it possible to blaspheme the Holy Spirit in our day?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
I am referring of course to Matthew 12, where the Pharisees deny the power of the Holy Spirit at work in casting out demons.

In Jesus' day, prophets were tested to see if they were true prophets of God. According to Jewish records, no prophet was respected who did not perform miracles and signs to prove that he was a prophet. The exception to this rule was John the Baptist, who was accredited by Jesus Himself (Luke 7:26).

Jesus, as the Messiah, also performed signs and wonders to prove that He was the Messiah. Jesus had proven Himself time and again and had even raised the dead. He had demonstrated forcefully on many occasions the power of the Holy Spirit working in Him. The Pharisees as doctors of the Law, and having witnessed many times the workings of the Holy Spirit knew, or should have known that He was the Messiah, and that the miracles were the workings of the Holy Spirit because of who He was. To deny it was to deny what they knew for certain to be true, and they thus blasphemed the Holy Spirit.

Lets look at this a little closer. Why was Jesus baptized by John? In Matthew 3:15, Jesus told John that it was to fulfill all righteousness. This means to fulfill the Law. Which Law? Priests performed sacrifices before God for the people so Jesus became a priest after the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 6:20) so that He could sacrifice Himself for our sins. In order to become a priest, Jesus had to be 30 years old, be ceremonially washed (Leviticus 8:6), and be annointed or consecrated with oil (Leviticus 8:12). And so, with Jesus, the washing was the baptism, and the annointing was by the Holy Spirit Himself (Matthew 3:16). Therefore, to deny the miracles of Jesus was to deny the Holy Spirit Himself.

The Scriptures tell us that in the last days that the angel of light (Satan) will perform signs and wonders. And so we must test teachers and those claiming to be prophets, not by miracles and wonders, but by the standard of the Scriptures. Jesus said that there would be many false prophets in the latter days, and that we would know them by their fruits (teachings).

It is for sure that anyone who claims to have revelations that add to the gospel as revealed to the apostles, or who claim to have revelations which abrogate or supercede the Holy Scriptures, is a false prophet.

And thus, I believe that it was possible to blapheme the Holy Spirit, only during the lifetime of Jesus Christ here on the earth, by denying that He was the Messiah and performing signs and wonders through the power of the Holy Spirit.

It is certain that no true believer could possibly blaspheme the Holy Spirit, for to admit so would mean that a true believer could lose their salvation in contradiction to John 10: 27-28 where Jesus says that all believers will have eternal life and cannot be snatched out of God's hand.

O

OwenHeidenreich

Yes it is. From my understanding, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is attributing the powers of the Holy Spirit to the devil. So say one of the people at my school who were healed a few weeks back had happened to say "the devil did that, your god did not do that healing" that would be an unforgiveable sin, because I said "be healed in jesus name" from the power that the Holy Spirit did through me.

So long story short, if you see a miracle in the name of the Holy Spirit and say the devil did it, that is unforgiveable

B

BeanieD

There are a lot of people who don't believe in the Holy Spirit and in turn will blaspheme in ignorance/ disbelief. :)

N

nathan3

I am referring of course to Matthew 12, where the Pharisees deny the power of the Holy Spirit at work in casting out demons.

The Holy Spirit is not even remotely mentioned in the verses your referring to .

So that cannot be what the unforgivable sin is.

We have to read the right scriptures to learn what this is. If not, then you'll never know.. I almost don't care that people remain ignorant about this one thing... Although it is plainly written of, and the fact that so many read over it, is almost unbelievable .

What I see amounts to a '' he said she said, is what this means, so naturally, it must be so''.

The reality is no one here has read the scriptures about it .

Last edited:
May 31, 2013
I think only believers can blaspheme the Holy Spirit on our modern days. You need to have experienced the power of the Holy Spirit, to willingly and knowingly blaspheme. I think Hebrews 6 warns us about this. I have posted a similar question about speaking in tongues, and ,my doubt is if you speak in tongues in the flesh are you blaspheming ?

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
The Holy Spirit is not even remotely mentioned in the verses your referring to .

So that cannot be what the unforgivable sin is.

We have to read the right scriptures to learn what this is. If not, then you'll never know.. I almost don't care that people remain ignorant about this one thing... Although it is plainly written of, and the fact that so many read over it, is almost unbelievable .

What I see amounts to a '' he said she said, is what this means, so naturally, it must be so''.

The reality is no one here has read the scriptures about it .
Mat 12:31 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.
Mat 12:32 "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Which bible are you reading? The purpose driven bible by Rick Warren?

N

NiceneCreed

I believe blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is possible in any age and culture. When the Holy Spirit works through men to evangelize to non-believers, and someone claims it was not by the power of God, that is an instance of blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Also, one blasphemes the Holy Spirit by denying Christ. It is called the unforgivable sin because one who dies without believing in Christ, dies in a state devoid of Christ's grace. I think we should pray for all of those lost sheep who have not yet accepted the grace of Christ Jesus. Thank you for the intriguing question!

Grace and Peace!

N

NiceneCreed

I think you are mistaken. Might I suggest you read Theology for Today by Elmer Towns. I believe Towns discusses several examples of blaspheming the Holy Spirit; it was quite eye-opening, to say the least. The most undeniable way one can blaspheme the Holy Spirit, of course, is by denying Christ. If one were to die without receiving Christ, they will have done so in a state devoid of His [Christ's] grace. This is why the sin is called "unforgiveable." Remember that Christ can forgive anything if one is living in a state of grace.

Grace and Peace!

N

NiceneCreed

I think non-believers, also, can blaspheme the Holy Spirit by denying Christ. When the non-believer dies, they are not forgiven for their sin. This is because they denied the grace of Christ. The only sins which are unforgivable, are those which are not covered by the grace of Christ.

Grace and Peace!

O

OwenHeidenreich

I think non-believers, also, can blaspheme the Holy Spirit by denying Christ. When the non-believer dies, they are not forgiven for their sin. This is because they denied the grace of Christ. The only sins which are unforgivable, are those which are not covered by the grace of Christ.

Grace and Peace!
And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

N

NiceneCreed

The only way one cannot be forgiven their sins is by living in a state devoid of grace. When one accepts Jesus Christ as Lord, they are filled with the Holy Spirit! Glory to God!

Grace and Peace!

S

Shiloah

Grace and Peace!
Well, I think if we put in context what specifically Christ was addressing when He mentioned the unforgivable sin, Christ had just been accused of healing with the power of Satan. That's when He immediately spoke of the unforgivable sin. Again, the Pharisees were essentially calling the Holy Spirit the devil. Also, I can't help but feel those Pharisees knew exactly what they were doing. They knew scriptures, and I think they knew who Jesus really was, but they rejected that knowledge and again, called His power devil inspired. I would think to know and yet totally reject the truth would define what this is about. To knowingly say things of God come from the devil would more appropriately define the unforgivable sin.

N

NiceneCreed

Well, I think if we put in context what specifically Christ was addressing when He mentioned the unforgivable sin, Christ had just been accused of healing with the power of Satan. That's when He immediately spoke of the unforgivable sin. Again, the Pharisees were essentially calling the Holy Spirit the devil. Also, I can't help but feel those Pharisees knew exactly what they were doing. They knew scriptures, and I think they knew who Jesus really was, but they rejected that knowledge and again, called His power devil inspired. I would think to know and yet totally reject the truth would define what this is about. To knowingly say things of God come from the devil would more appropriately define the unforgivable sin.

That's a great point. Suppose even one knows they can be covered with the grace of God, but they decided to reject it. I think that is the greatest evil anyone can commit.

Grace and Peace!