Is it true that tounges represents Holy Spirit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pilli

1) some pastors say that, when we speak toungues that is the time we receive holy spirit.
2) some pastors say that, when we baptized that is the time we receive holy spirt.
I wnat to know about Holy spirit.

Jan 8, 2009
The confusion is because there are actually two instances of a person receiving the H.S. Or rather, one is receiving His person, and function within the christian for regeneration and sanctification, the other is for receiving His gifts and power. The first is when a person belives in Christ, the Spirit seals on the inside in their spirit as God's own and they become a child of God. The second is when the power of the Spirit comes upon a person and they may (but not necessarily) speak in tongues. This is more correctly, receiving the gifts and power of the Spirit. Rather than receiving the Spirit Himself. I always distinguish between belief and baptism, but some don't. I believe it is at belief, not at baptism.

God promised both of these experiences in the old testament. The first is in Ezekial I think, and Jeremiah, the second is in Joel.

E

eringobrea

1st Corinthians 12: 1Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. 2You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
1) some pastors say that, when we speak toungues that is the time we receive holy spirit.
2) some pastors say that, when we baptized that is the time we receive holy spirt.
I wnat to know about Holy spirit.

ILLUSTRATION: Take (2) glasses and fill one with water, and then take (2) paper towels and crunch them both up. Immerse one of the paper towels in the glass full of water and observe. Then take the other paper towel and put it in the empty glass. Fill the empty glass and observe. When you compare the condition of the towel in each glass they are the same. One towel was immersed (or baptised) in water and the other was filled with water. The conclusion suggest that the baptism and filling are the same.

When we believed upon Christ we recieved the Holy Spirit, and at that moment we were filled and baptized with the Holy Spirit and placed in Christ together as members of one another and of His body, flesh and bones (Rom 12:4, Eph 5:30). That's why the scriptures teach that there is 'one baptism', 'one Spirit' and 'one body' (Eph 4:4,5). That happens at salvation when we were all baptized into Christ (Gal 3:27). Then we get into (1Cor 12 & 13). Notice (1Cor 12:13);

'For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit'.

There is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit that we are filled with at salvation and we are to continue in that filling (Eph 5:18). Then comes the gifts, administrations and operations that are given and divided by the same Spirit to every man as he wills to profit all members together (1Cor 12:4-13).

Jan 8, 2009
Don't forget to mention the promise of Joel. The outpouring of the Spirit upon all flesh which occurred at Pentecost, for service. In other words, God wanted to pour out His Spirit on every believer, not just his chosen apostles and prophets, like Moses, Elijah etc, but everyone!. Young men, young men, servants, mothers, fathers, daughters, children. Jesus's ministry did not start until that happened, neither did the apostle's/early churches after Christ's ascension. I have never seen any Christian who does not believe in that subsequent experience of Pentecost (and yes, it may happen at conversion, but usually doesn't) speak in tongues, or exercise any of the spiritual gifts eg prophesy. Many, many Christians are deceived and content at just "being saved", and live a happy life involved in church programs or otherwise. Certainly they are saved. But don't expect to be receiving an encouraging word of prophecy from them or them to be able to heal you. Like one pastor I talked to about healing, he looked at me dumbfounded and had no clue. In that case, go to the world and see a medical doctor! Don't bother asking for prayer, it only make you skeptical and sad when they can't. And then they have this common excuse "it's not God's will". But they are the ones with the problem, not God. Because they aren't annointed with power !

If we think water baptism is enough, think again, scripture shows that this second experience is by prayer and or laying on of hands by an apostle (or other anointed church leader):

Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
Act 8:16
For as yet He had not fallen on any of them, they were baptized only in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 8:17 Then they laid their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
Act 8:18 And when Simon saw that the Holy Spirit was given through laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money,

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2009
there was tongues when one was baptised with the Holy Ghost but was not the only gift that was used for in the scriptures there was also given a gift of prophecy also so no the speaking in tongues is Not THE evidence of being Spirit baptied or even being saved. the evidence of being saved is our fruits

Ac 19:1And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,Ac 19:2He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.Ac 19:3And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.Ac 19:4Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.Ac 19:5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.Ac 19:6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Mt 7:15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.Mt 7:16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?Mt 7:17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.Mt 7:18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.Mt 7:19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.Mt 7:20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
people can fake speaking in tongues so it really couldn't be the only evidence or alot of people would deceisve or any fool other people with faking speaking in tongues

Feb 27, 2007
I received the Holy Spirit when I confessed Jesus as my Lord & Savior at a christmas play in a pentecostal church in 1991. There is no denying the power of the Holy Spirit and the spiritual impact on me as i confessed a sinner and all of it was lifted away in an instant. So yes, I was filled in that moment and all sins past truly did pass away. I, however have never spoken in tongues. So my reality is yes, we can be Holy Spirit filled and not speak in tongues.

M

MaggieMye

We receive JESUS when we become born again. It is JESUS that we ask to come and LIVE IN OUR HEARTS. And of course, God, Jesus and Holy Spirit, being One, we then also have Holy Spirit. But BAPTIZM of the Holy Spirit is and 'EMPOWERMENT' from on High that comes with the laying on of hands. Read Acts, especially chapter 2.
Maggie

W

worldlover

i think that speaking our tongues means manifestation of holy spirit because he gave us this ability to spreading his word

M

MaggieMye

i think that speaking our tongues means manifestation of holy spirit because he gave us this ability to spreading his word
That is not Biblical.

Maggie

D

doubleedge

To put it simply... The Holy Spirit is God!!! ONLY though God The Holy Spirit can we recognise His Son, possess His gifts, do His Will, ... (U get the Idea) or perform His Miracles!

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
We receive JESUS when we become born again. It is JESUS that we ask to come and LIVE IN OUR HEARTS. And of course, God, Jesus and Holy Spirit, being One, we then also have Holy Spirit. But BAPTIZM of the Holy Spirit is and 'EMPOWERMENT' from on High that comes with the laying on of hands. Read Acts, especially chapter 2.
Maggie
Do we need to receive an 'empowerment', by the laying on of hands, to go out and preach the gospel in all the world or is that an act of faith and obedience to the great commission? We should lay hands, pray and send those that God calls to go into all the world and preach the gospel. However, we all have that same commission and if we can't go ourselves, we should be part of a ministry and help send those that can go and have been trained to go. When a believer is filled with the Spirit and is walking in the Spirit of that filling, they are not fulfilling the lusts of the flesh and their steps are being ordered by the Lord.

A mother can be filled with the Spirit and have all her steps ordered by God right there in her home as she loves her husband and children. Everything she does, with all her might, can be unto the Lord as a Spirit-filled woman of God. When she prays, God answers because she is a righteous woman. When she cleans her home and gets up every morning to make sure the kids get off to school, she can be filled with the Spirit and empowered by grace just as much as anyone who is preaching on the streets of London or Budapest. Whatever she does to the least of these she has done it unto Christ.

Whenever and where ever we minister, our ministry is unto the Lord as we minister to people. We walk in the light as He is in the light. There is no special 'empowerment' that has to be given unto those that walk by faith in the filling of the Holy Spirit. When we pray in the Holy Spirit we do that by faith. When we love others we do that by faith. When we forgive, we do that by faith as well. We edify and build up one another in the grace of God and we do that by faith. When we walk by faith in the promises of God, we have the power of God's faithfulness fulfilling those promises in our lives.

John 1:12 'But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name'.

Eph 3:16-21 'That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen'.

Your love for God and his word and your loyalty to Jesus Christ is the evidence of the kind of heart that God has given you. Keep embracing those promises, never stop building yourself up in the most holy faith and continue to fight that good fight of faith.

D

doubleedge

Jesus NEVER once said; "worship me!" - U can't have one without the other.

Jan 8, 2009
We receive JESUS when we become born again. It is JESUS that we ask to come and LIVE IN OUR HEARTS.
amen, by His Spirit, which is the Spirit of Christ.

Do we need to receive an 'empowerment', by the laying on of hands, to go out and preach the gospel in all the world or is that an act of faith and obedience to the great commission?
Do we need empowerment. Surely, yes.
That's like asking if we need fuel in the tank to drive a car. Sure we don't really need the fuel, you can push the car along from behind with your human strength if you like. But it is far more effective and easier when the engine is powered up. Christ needed empowerment, the apostles needed empowerment.. and they gave that empowerment to others...why not for us too?

How is it done?
It isn't necessary to have laying on of hands to receive power, but, that's like asking whether it's necessary to baptise in water, or can we baptise in sand if we want to?
Laying on of hands is how they did things in the bible. Particularly if it was to commission a person specially selected for the ministry of preaching/evangelism. Laying on of hands was done for healing the sick too. None of this "I'll keep you in my prayers" like people say today, and expect God to heal terminal cancer due to 5 minute prayer closet prayers for such and such a person, miles away. That rarely if ever, happens. In the bible they called empowered people, normally the elders of the church, they layed hands on them, prayed for them, and by faith they saw them recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.