Is it wrong to celebrate christmas and halloween?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I'm going to be a gypsy for Halloween. Just sayin.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Im going as the TARDIS(Time And Relative Dimensions In Space)

F

flight316

We probably should have never gotten mixed up in that halloween mess. I liked that stuff when I was a kid scary movies, haunted houses etc., but I didn't have the mind of Christ back then. I don't trust it and my spirit repels it. A lot of these horror movies are really sick and disturbing. Its bad for the mind. I think it slowly infultrates the mind. There's also this huge interest and glorification of vampires. Just because something seems fun doesn't mean its good.

J

JessW

For Christmas we always spend time with our families and I usually remind the children of why we celebrate Christmas. When we are opening presents, I ask them why we give gifts to each other. I wait for their answers then add "We give gifts to each other because God gave us the greatest gift of all, Jesus." They all seem to enjoy it an the adults usually say nothing but nod in agreement.
One year, I even made a cake. On the cake it said "Happy Birthday Jesus". Most of the kids too small to read asked me whose birthday it was and that gave me a chance to tell them about the birth of Jesus.

So that's my take on Christmas an some ideas for you:)

Sep 13, 2012
We probably should have never gotten mixed up in that halloween mess. I liked that stuff when I was a kid scary movies, haunted houses etc., but I didn't have the mind of Christ back then. I don't trust it and my spirit repels it. A lot of these horror movies are really sick and disturbing. Its bad for the mind. I think it slowly infultrates the mind. There's also this huge interest and glorification of vampires. Just because something seems fun doesn't mean its good.
have a sense of humor at Halloween, watch 1950's and 1960's B movies, they are so cheesy and so horribly done, they are great fun to watch, not the slightest bit scary, Have to watch out for those giant gila monsters and giant killer shrews, these are the kinds of movies where you can laugh yourself sick and throw popcorn at the screen

J

John51

I dont do holloween personally because I dont like turning myself into a legal door to door begger. The like dressing up andI control the content so it is harmless.
Christ was born sometime in the spring I think. The December 25th was at one time a pagan thing and a ruler who turned to God designated it as a celebration of Christ. I dont know when the birthday thing got started but it was a celebration of his birth.

Enjoy both to the fullest the best way you can, like all thing, in the glory of Christ and you cant go wrong.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Im going as the TARDIS(Time And Relative Dimensions In Space)
I have a nice little treat for the teenagers who think they arent too old to trick or treat. It involves a chainsaw and a future youtube movie. Im sure you will see it on my facebook.

Sep 10, 2012
dont you know that friendship with the world is enmity with God...that means that by holding hands with demonic pagan festivals like Halloween, God sees YOU as an enemy of His...and who is the biggest enemy of His that you are following...satan...it is no joke to be an enemy of God so all the advice here that it is ok to celebrate Halloween is of the world and of satan

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
dont you know that friendship with the world is enmity with God...that means that by holding hands with demonic pagan festivals like Halloween, God sees YOU as an enemy of His...and who is the biggest enemy of His that you are following...satan...it is no joke to be an enemy of God so all the advice here that it is ok to celebrate Halloween is of the world and of satan
IF your conscience is clean then your soul is not in danger.
God realizes that ungodly things surround us. Not just Holidays. If we avoided everything pagan linked we would never leave our homes.

That is why it is important to grow in your faith.
Like I said, Halloween candy is amoral, so are costumes and so on. Where your heart and mind is is the issue. I am not embracing Satan because I choose to scare 16 year old football players from my yard on October 31st with a chainsaw.
Its either that or my yard gets toilet papered

Sep 10, 2012
IF your conscience is clean then your soul is not in danger.
God realizes that ungodly things surround us. Not just Holidays. If we avoided everything pagan linked we would never leave our homes.

That is why it is important to grow in your faith.
Like I said, Halloween candy is amoral, so are costumes and so on. Where your heart and mind is is the issue. I am not embracing Satan because I choose to scare 16 year old football players from my yard on October 31st with a chainsaw.
Its either that or my yard gets toilet papered
you are not embracing satan at all when you are scaring away the people who are celebrating his halloween..but to celebrate satan's halloween can never be acceptable to Holy God because it is completely unholy..what does light have to do with darkness and God with belial?

Sep 13, 2012
I dont do holloween personally because I dont like turning myself into a legal door to door begger. The like dressing up andI control the content so it is harmless.
Christ was born sometime in the spring I think. The December 25th was at one time a pagan thing and a ruler who turned to God designated it as a celebration of Christ. I dont know when the birthday thing got started but it was a celebration of his birth.

Enjoy both to the fullest the best way you can, like all thing, in the glory of Christ and you cant go wrong.
I believe the idea of turning a former pagan holiday into the celebration of Christs birthday was to take away the power of the pagan holiday and turn it into something good, when you are celebrating something that should be celebrated instead of the former holiday, that former holiday loses much of what it was for, this is a good thing

J

John51

I believe the idea of turning a former pagan holiday into the celebration of Christs birthday was to take away the power of the pagan holiday and turn it into something good, when you are celebrating something that should be celebrated instead of the former holiday, that former holiday loses much of what it was for, this is a good thing

YUP, I agree

Sep 10, 2012
halloween used to be hallowed saints day...the celebration of saints...it is now the celebration of demons and what christian can wilfully celebrate demons and consider it harmless fun to do so?

tjogs

Jun 28, 2009
I didn't knew until recently what the purpose and background of the halloween really is. (other than the commercial one) In our culture we don't have that at all.

C

Cecillia504

Actually - Halloween was a day to scare away "spirits"...not worshiping anything.

Now it's a day to have fun, eat candy, and have a jolly night out! :)

So, what you have to ask yourself is "What does Halloween mean to me?" or "What does Christmas mean to me?" It's in the spirit of how you do things that matters!!!

Sep 18, 2013
I was reading a different post on here about when Jesus was born and i know its not in december , i live in a family that are not christians but they celebrate christmas , if i just spend christmas as chance to spend with family presents etc and not treat christmas as a time to celebrate jesus birthday would that be ok?

With halloween should we or shouldnt we celebrate it? Thanks Guys xxx
Actually, the star that the three wise men saw was likely a conjunction of the planets that occurs at about the same time every 4 years. In 2014 it will be on December 21st. It was on the 25th of December in the year 33 BC, it is slightly out of sync with the Gregorian Calendar and will steadily drift earlier and earlier in the year.( the year zero AD/BC was Jesus Christ's death year, not his birth year.) I have seen the theory that Jesus Christ was born in the springtime, but this claim flies in the face of Jesus' grandfather Nicodemus' declaration that Jesus' birth fulfilled all the prophecies. Bethlehem is in the Northern Hemisphere, they have springtime the same time of year that we do in America. One of the prophecies Nicodemus knew about, was the prophecy that the Christ would be born within the darkest month of the year (This Jewish Calendar month mostly overlaps December and takes a small bite out of January), and Nicodemus was content that this had been fulfilled. So, Dec. 25th is the correct birth date, and December 21st would be an equally appropriate date to celebrate His birth. Halloween is in fact originally a pagan tradition, but look at WHEN Christians adopted it for a clue at WHY Christians adopted it. It was an embarrassing time to be a Christian, there were fanatics on horseback, wearing swords, converting pagans to Christianity at sword point, CONVERT OR DIE, and then riding through the same area during the next pagan holiday, killing any "false converts" who were celebrating. Most Christians understood that if it is a sin to convert falsely at sword point, it is the one holding the sword, who is sinning. Self-defense is not a sin! How does an unarmed congregation of true Christians, fight this atrocity being committed by armed men? Everyone celebrates during the pagan holiday! They can't get their masters' permission to kill everyone, their masters would get no taxes! So a Christian Holiday, All Saints Day, was created to spread the word, Everyone must celebrate! And the celebration, All Hallows Eve, was on the same day, mimicking the same behaviors, as the pagan holiday. Christmas already happened to be on the pagan winter holiday, coincidentally, Easter already happened to be on the spring pagan holiday, (which was not a coincidence, look closely at the story of Queen Esther,), the fanatics couldn't ride far during summer solstice, the weather was too hot for the horses, and the fanatics were a good deal less fanatical on foot. It was the harvest pagan holiday, which needed this protection from the fanatics. Halloween is no longer needed for anyone's protection, but what a great time to celebrate compassion and true faith winning out over fanaticism, we should be reaching out to Muslims to celebrate Halloween with us instead of stamping out Halloween.

Sep 13, 2012
I dont think an evil spirit is going to go anywhere near a church full of Christians celebrating Christs birth on Christmas eve. They hate that stuff. Remember the night on bald mountain part of fantasia? the evil spirits were running everywhere, until the march with the lights was begun, then they were driven away back into the darkness. Always reminded me of a candlelight Christmas eve service, the candles represent the light brought into the world by Christ, driving back evil

Y

Yeshy

It is wrong to celebrate both events, because they are both Pagan Orientated.

[h=3]Jeremiah 10[/h]“Do not learn the ways of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the heavens,
though the nations are terrified by them.
3 For the practices of the peoples are worthless;
they cut a tree out of the forest,
and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.
4 They adorn it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so it will not totter.
5 Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field,
their idols cannot speak;
they must be carried
because they cannot walk.
Do not fear them;
they can do no harm
nor can they do any good.”