Is it wrong to "clear the mind"?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
We are called to be still and know that he is God. For some, this has meant a clear mind so that God and the soul can commune without the interference of mundane concerns. Jesus spent 40 days in the desert - some of us don't believe he spent that entire time in verbal, intercessory prayer.
If we are communing with Lord, then our minds aren’t clear.

Dec 19, 2009
I don’t think the Lord wants us to be bored. I think the Lord wants us to be happy.

M

mori

If we are communing with Lord, then our minds aren’t clear.
So you say. Others say other things.

For instance, the soul and mind are not necessarily the same thing. In Romans 8:26, the Spirit intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express, when we do not know how to pray. We can participate in this, even if we're baffled.

Or, we can view it this way. A married couple can sit in each other's presence without thinking about it; merely being near is enough. Prayer can be like this.

I don’t think the Lord wants us to be bored. I think the Lord wants us to be happy.
I think that the Lord uses a variety of experiences to help us grow, and that doesn't always mean happiness all the time. I think you're not really thinking this through.

Dec 19, 2009
I think that the Lord uses a variety of experiences to help us grow, and that doesn't always mean happiness all the time. I think you're not really thinking this through.
People would rebel if the purpose of life was to be bored.

Dec 19, 2009
So you say. Others say other things.

For instance, the soul and mind are not necessarily the same thing. In Romans 8:26, the Spirit intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express, when we do not know how to pray. We can participate in this, even if we're baffled.
I assume you know how to pray. One doesn't do it with an empty mind.

Dec 19, 2009
Or, we can view it this way. A married couple can sit in each other's presence without thinking about it; merely being near is enough. Prayer can be like this.
I am quite sure people don’t sit with their spouses for long periods of time with blank minds.

M

mori

People would rebel if the purpose of life was to be bored.
I said that God can use a variety of experiences to help us grow, not that this was the purpose of life.

You seem to intentionally distort what's written. Why is this?

M

mori

I am quite sure people don’t sit with their spouses for long periods of time with blank minds.
This is true. Most people can't tolerate the silence. Of course, what most people do isn't necessarily best.

So you say. Others say otherwise, that what you're describing is active, verbal prayer, which is only one among other kinds. I've given one example above - letting the Spirit take over when the mind is unable to find the words.

R

Rosewater

Something the priest/pastor pointed out to me once: we should also seek to listen when praying, so sometimes in prayer I do keep my mind quiet to listen.

N

needmesomejesus

Clearing your mind in itself isn't bad but it really depends on the reason and process of doing so. Every day I take a walk by myself to clear my mind. It's the greatest feeling in the world.

Dec 19, 2009
I said that God can use a variety of experiences to help us grow, not that this was the purpose of life.

You seem to intentionally distort what's written. Why is this?
Or maybe I misunderstood your point.

Dec 19, 2009
The Lord told us not to be anxious about life, so we should clear our minds of our anxieties.

M

mori

Or maybe I misunderstood your point.
I think this is not the best explanation. No one accidentally takes "we can grow through an experience of boredom" to "boredom is the purpose of life" unless they were against the idea from the start and grasping for any apparent contradiction.

I think this is the case here.

S

SantoSubito

Often when I'm stressed i'll try to just stop thinking and just breath for a few minutes. The reason this helps is because it slows down your heart rate which is elevated when your under stress. Yes there are new age and Buddhist forms of something similar to this, but I see nothing wrong with using it to simply calm down.

A

AgeofKnowledge

It is desirable to know how to relax. Many people do not and for those who are suffering from stressful and anxious medical and spiritual conditions, it is even more important to learn how to relax one's body, mind, and spirit.

As Christians, we do this through worship, scripture, and also progressive relaxation techniques in which one tightens and then relaxes muscles in a progressive manner to reduce muscle tension in the body.

Christian relaxation should not be confused with non-Christian relaxation techniques such as TM, Eastern meditation, guided imagery, hypnosis, alternative religious practices such as Yoga, reiki, occultic practices, etc... even when they call wrongly call themselves Christian.

L

Laodicea

Psalms 1:2
(2) But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
Isaiah 26:3

(3) Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
Philippians 4:7-8
(7) And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
(8) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

C

CrimsonFlames

Clear the mind? why.., to allow wandering spirits to speak lies?

Meditate on God., find his presence and sit in silence before him.