Is Lot Abraham's brother or nephew???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xspinningisfun

Alright, I have a question. Okay, so I was just reading my Bible and now it confused me. I'm starting out in Genesis. In Genesis 12:5, it says that Lot was Abraham's nephew, it also says it in Genesis 14:12. But in Genesis 14:14, it says that Lot is Abraham's brother. "And when Abram hear that his brother was taken captive....". It also says in Genesis 14:16 that Lot was his brother...AGAIN. I'm frustrated. Am I reading this wrong or did this contradict itself? Ha. Atheists and Agnostics are saying that the Bible contradicts itself - and no offense. I love Jesus and all, but this is pretty much contradictory. So am I believing in something that's not even real? Or am I seriously misinterpreting this wrong?

Jan 31, 2009
Very good question but no there is no contradiction in the Holy Bible, we have to study a family tree to get the answer, actually Lot was Abram's ( Abraham ) nephew and He could also be consider his brother how can that be. look to the scriptures,

Ge 11:26And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and HARAN.
Nohor and Abram were brothers, and Terah was their father

Ge 11:27Now these are the generations of Terah: Terah begat Abram, Nahor, and HARAN; and HARAN begat Lot.
Haran was the father of Lot

Ge 11:28And HARAN died before his father Terah in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees.
But Haran the father of lot died, I don't know enough history to say that they had adoption this early, but Terah, Lot's grandfather also Abram's father took Lot to raise, because Lot's father died

Ge 11:31And Terah took Abram his son, and LOT the son of Haran his son's son, and Sarai his daughter in law, his son Abram's wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.
so legally Lot was Abram's Nephew But He could also Be consider His Brother because the same man raised both of them.

some how I feel that this question is coming up for you may not have gotten this far yet: God changed Abram's name to Abraham,
Ge 17:5Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be ABRAHAM; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

K

KingdomGeneration

The bible is pretty clear. Lot was Abraham's nephew from a brother who had previously died thus Lot was entitled and received the inheritance of his father, thus Abraham treated Lot as if he were a brother.

I was a teen myself when my 18 yr old nephew was born. My brother and his wife split up and my brother got full custody of his son when my nephew was only a year old. Although he is my nephew, he was raised as a brother and I love him as such and would give him the world if I could. So I completely understand where it is that Abraham is coming from...

X

xspinningisfun

Ugh - now I feel like I suck at being a Christian. When I started to read Genesis, I wanted to understand things more and to get more real with God. But I didn't even caught onto those scriptures that you sent to me just now. Like I didn't piece it together. And I do keep notes when I read the Bible. So I feel really discouraged. I seriously want to just give up lol. It's just way toooooo hardddd.

But oh well, thanks guys for clearing it up.

Jan 31, 2009
Ugh - now I feel like I suck at being a Christian. When I started to read Genesis, I wanted to understand things more and to get more real with God. But I didn't even caught onto those scriptures that you sent to me just now. Like I didn't piece it together. And I do keep notes when I read the Bible. So I feel really discouraged. I seriously want to just give up lol. It's just way toooooo hardddd.

Young lady, I don't want to hear any more talk about you giving up, that is devil talk, Christ, Himself had to have help carrying the Cross for you, and He didn't give up. now pick that Bible up and get back at it.

Php 4:13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Pr 2:1My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;Pr 2:2So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;Pr 2:3Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;Pr 2:4If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;Pr 2:5Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.Pr 2:6For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

L

logos83

I will have to agree with Thaddeaus, xspinningisfun. The way to learn more of the Bible is to study it. As the Apostle Peter say in so many words in I Peter 2:2, "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby."

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." II Timothy 2:15

If it make you fell better over 20 years ago when I was a new believer I answer this question wrong, Name the Books of the Bible named after a woman? I didn't know at the time Jude was a man, and so I answered Jude.

K

KingdomGeneration

Don't feel discouraged. In time you will find that the more read and study the bible the more God will reveal things to you, meanings that you did not see before. Ive discovered that you can read the same set of scripture nearly a dozen times and each time God will reveal more of himself to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.