Is putting yourself in situations where you know you'll be afraid a sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

selenah

I was just wondering because I'm watching Knowing right now and every time I watch it I always freak out a little bit in certain parts. It got me thinking, is it wrong to put yourself in situations where you know you'll be afraid (watching horror movies or other things)? I mean, if you watch some movie like The Descent (a movie completely devoted to flesh eating monsters who live under ground---don't watch it) just to scare yourself by letting your imagination run wild about things that are really idk kind of demonic I guess, isn't that wrong? I don't know, maybe I'm just being weird.

Feb 17, 2010
Selenah... The aanswer is actually the opposite of what you would expect. Does a movie that is aimed at scaring people come from God? If not, watch not. Why becasue God says this a bout fear.... 1Jn 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. So my advice is that you rather watch movies, that will teach you how to love, a love that God says cannot fear. So if you find yourself in fear, God does not want you to fear. And God has a love that will cast out fear. If you have this love then you have no fear. SEEK first this fear before you seek out stuff that freaks you out. I find the Bible teaches me best how to love. And that is what I am doing right now. I type this to you, becasue I FOLLOW that love of God, that perfect love... May the Lord make your walk with Him so exciting that you will seek ONLY HIM. Amen!

M

MaggieMye

Any time you willingly put yourself in a situation in which you are filled with fear, you open the door to your soul to the demon of fear. Note, that FEAR is not the same as 'suspense'.
I have watched "Knowing" two or three times. While it IS science fiction, I thought it was great because there was SO MUCH Biblically prophetic nuances in it. One would have to know the Bible well to be able to depict them, but there are in there and I thought it was fascinating. But that is me.
For yourself, I'm thinking that God would prefer you to spend that time reading His word over the repititious watching of a movie that brings you into fear. Remember His word says 'NOT the spirit of fear, but of love and the sound mind of Christ.'
Maggie

S

selenah

Okay thanks, you guys are right

And yeah I do have to admit that I've noticed a few of those Biblical references in the movie like the tree and the part where he went from not knowing to knowing...anyways off point.

Last edited: