Is religious humor offensive?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheGrungeDiva

LOL.

So, Jesus and Moses were fishing one day, chatting about the good ol' days. Moses said, "I wonder if I still have it in me." Jesus said, "Hey, why don't you try?" So Moses stood up and held up his arms. The waters parted, and their fishing boat floated gently to the lake bottom. Moses lowered his arms, and the waters slowly rose again, lifting their boat back up.

Jesus said, "That was great." Moses said, "Now it's your turn. Let's see if your miracle still works." So Jesus stepped out of the boat and started walking. But within a few steps he was sinking, and soon had to swim back to the boat. Moses helped him back in, and said, "What happened?"

Jesus responded, "I'm not sure, but the last time I tried that, I didn't have these holes in my feet."

R

rainacorn

lol some good stuff in here

I love jokes, but there's a clear difference between funny and flippant.

The zombie Jesus stuff is flippant, if we're thinking of the same picture, grunge lol

shawntc

May 7, 2010
I really don't have a problem with people who poke fun at my faith, as long as they're not being disrespectful about it. I mean there's being a friendly goof, then there's being rude. I'm not OK With the Zombie Jesus thing, either. You have to pull that off in an explicitly non-insulting way to amuse me.

Siberian_Khatru, that is most certainly unoffensive. I love a good pun!

There's a picture I once came across which showed Jesus coming out of the tomb. Its caption: "Lag. You think yours is bad? It took Jesus three days to respawn." One of the comments for it was, "He was using godmode, too" and another read, "Must be that 2000 year old server."

I'm rather amused by 2 Kings 2. It talks about 42 kids making fun of Elisha for being bald, then meeting grizzly fates from 2 bears. I once made light of this on another Christian forum but apparently people were offended by it and the post was deleted.

John 6 is also amusing. These people had been fed miraculously THE NIGHT BEFORE, and they were asking Jesus for a sign. Really?! Then Jesus starts messing with their minds using metaphors which, to the unlearned, essentially sound like cannibalism. The daftness of those listening to Jesus makes me chuckle.

And of course, good old Peter. I once read what he said and out loud went, "Peter... just be quiet."

T

TheGrungeDiva

The zombie Jesus stuff is flippant,
The reason "Zombie Jesus" is bad is because it's intent is to insult and belittle, not to amuse. Atheists refer to our Lord and Savior as a Zombie to point out the supposed contradiction of the resurrection. Of course, the last laugh is on them, because he DID rise from the grave, and not like a zombie, but as our Lord and Savior.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Of course God has a sense of humour. He saved me. boom boom.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Overcrowded church

The two thousand member Baptist church was filled to overflowing capacity one Sunday morning. The preacher was ready to start the sermon when two men, dressed in long black coats and black hats entered thru the rear of the church.

One of the two men walked to the middle of the church while the other stayed at the back of the church. They both then reached under their coats and withdrew automatic weapons.

The one in the middle announced, "Everyone willing to take a bullet for Jesus stay in your seats!"

Naturally, the pews emptied, followed by the choir. The deacons ran out the door, followed by the choir director and the assistant pastor.

After a few moments, there were about twenty people left sitting in the church. The preacher was holding steady in the pulpit.

The men put their weapons away and said, gently, to the preacher, "All right, pastor, the hypocrites are gone now. You may begin the service."

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Overcrowded church

The two thousand member Baptist church was filled to overflowing capacity one Sunday morning. The preacher was ready to start the sermon when two men, dressed in long black coats and black hats entered thru the rear of the church.

One of the two men walked to the middle of the church while the other stayed at the back of the church. They both then reached under their coats and withdrew automatic weapons.

The one in the middle announced, "Everyone willing to take a bullet for Jesus stay in your seats!"

Naturally, the pews emptied, followed by the choir. The deacons ran out the door, followed by the choir director and the assistant pastor.

After a few moments, there were about twenty people left sitting in the church. The preacher was holding steady in the pulpit.

The men put their weapons away and said, gently, to the preacher, "All right, pastor, the hypocrites are gone now. You may begin the service."

*Laughing*

kingerik

Sep 25, 2013
25 Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, “Choose one of the bulls and prepare it first, since there are so many of you. Call on the name of your god, but do not light the fire.” 26 So they took the bull given them and prepared it.

Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon. “Baal, answer us!” they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the altar they had made.

27 At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 28 So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed. 29

i find this scripture humorous too me, Elijah being a Cheeky prophet! In a modern way, i could imagine him chilling back on the wall, tweeting.

Lol...Jk!
Along with Jokes, I like too tell Christian Pick up lines after Church, it's pretty funny. i love them! Here is a joke!

[TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"] Satan Goes to Church [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
ne bright, beautiful Sunday morning, everyone in tiny Jonestown wakes up early and goes to their local church. Before the service starts, the townspeople sit in their pews and talk about their lives and their families.

Suddenly, at the altar, Satan appears!! Everyone starts screaming and running for the front entrance, trampling each other in their determined efforts to get away from Evil Incarnate. Soon, everyone is evacuated from the church except for one man, who sit calmly in his pew, seemingly oblivious to the fact that God's ultimate enemy is in his presence. This confuses Satan a bit. Satan walks up to the man and says, "Hey, don't you know who I am?" The man says, "Yep, sure do."

Satan says, "Well, aren't you afraid of me?" The man says, "Nope, sure ain't."

Satan, perturbed, says, "And why aren't you afraid of me?" The man says, "Well, I've been married to your sister for 25 years."

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Don't let worry kill you. Let the church help.

just_monicat

Jan 1, 2014
funny, i was just talking about this topic with a friend recently. i am realizing that much of what i tolerated when i was younger isn't something i find funny anymore.

while i am constantly laughing about, and finding humor in other's efforts to seek humor in aspects of being a christian; what i don't find funny are jokes that are meant to seek humor in belittling or disrespecting my faith or Christ, God or the Holy Spirit -- which is what many of you have already stated.

what i've also come to realize is that i'm not very tolerant of most jokes told by those who aren't christians, even ones that appear to be benign. i find it as acceptable as i would find it to make jokes about a muslim or jew to an audience that might contain either members of such faith. if you're not a christian and you're poking fun at it, then you are devaluing those who hold it dear.

besides, this world provides me (too) much comedic material in other directions, not to mention my own life.

Last edited:

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
An Irish cop is walking his beat when he catches a preacher coming out of a liquor store with a bottle of booze. "Eh, Father, taking a nip of the spirits are ye?" he asks. The preacher replies "it's for the Monsignor's constipation" and scurries off.

About an hour later the cop walks by the church and finds the preacher, drunk, sprawled out on the steps. "For the Monsignor's constipation, eh Father?" he asks.

"Well", the preacher replies, "he's sure gonna poop when he sees me!"