Is your church dumb?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Hey, I'm just going to copy and paste it. I'm not going to let anyone say I didn't try!

[h=3]The Age of the Dumb Church[/h]Dr. R. C. Sproul has said many times that he believes we are living in the most un-intellectual period in the history of Western civilization. Over 30 years ago, former Lebanese ambassador to the United States, Charles Malik, said the following in his speech at the dedication of the Billy Graham Center in Wheaton, Illinois: “I must be frank with you: the greatest danger confronting American evangelical Christianity is the danger of anti-intellectualism. The mind in its greatest and deepest reaches is not cared for enough.”[2]
Such statements made by Sproul, Malik, and others were not always heard in the Church. The fact is, the Church dominated intellectual thought and discourse for hundreds of years, producing such thinkers like Augustine, Aquinas, Calvin, Edwards, and others. Such men had their opponents (the Church always will), but their detractors never ridiculed their brainpower because the Churchman’s intellectual prowess left no room for it.
But shortly after the era of Edwards, something changed. Gospel preachers like Charles Finney arose and replaced the intelligent presentation of the Gospel, which was backed by meaty Biblical exposition and solid philosophical rationale, with emotional appeals, questionable theology, personal anecdotes with humor, a celebrity-style leader, and engineered publicity.
Sound familiar? Unfortunately, in many seeker friendly or liberal churches today, the characteristics of Finney and his followers are played out each Lord’s Day with the end result being a church body unable to intellectually defend the faith they espouse.
[h=3]Characteristics of the Dumb Church[/h]How can you tell if your church exhibits traits that characterize a dumb church? Although not exhaustive, I offer these criteria that I believe help contribute to a church becoming ‘dumb’:
Where the church leadership is concerned:

• Preaching is always topical and never expository. Selective topical series allow tough and deep theological subjects, as well as ‘controversial’ passages of Scripture, to be avoided with ease.
  • Although the church leaders offer strong external facing statements as to how they are a “Bible believing church”, the Bible is actually used and referenced very little in the sermons. Few quotations from Scripture are heard in a message, with the vast majority of all sermons consisting of personal rhetoric, humor, videos, and personal stories.
  • When the Bible is quoted, most often paraphrase versions are used, or at best a dynamic equivalence is utilized vs. a literal-formal translation such as the ESV or NASB.
  • Biblical terms such as justification, reconciliation, sanctification, propitiation, etc., are avoided like the plague.
  • There is little to no instruction for new (or existing) believers on the core doctrines of the Christian faith, and no requirement for new believers to attend such instruction.
  • There is no continuous offering of apologetic training classes that are designed to train Christians in the evidences and defense of the faith, and little to no interest of the pastors in the subject area.
  • There is no easy way for the congregation to have tough questions answered by the lead pastors; such a thing is quietly ignored, discouraged or not practiced regularly.
  • Deep Bible study programs are either absent or deliberately pushed out in favor of more ‘relevant’ classes that deal with softer subject matters (e.g. money management).
  • Adult and children’s Bible studies before/after the main church service are either omitted or are second class citizens to “Community Groups” that seek to have members meet in each other’s homes during the week, where no oversight is given as to what is done or taught. These groups, where teaching is concerned, are run “hands off” by the church leadership.
  • There is a huge emphasis on relationship building and serving in areas of the church, but no similar importance placed on growing more Biblically and theologically literate.
  • The youth department has an unmistakable concentration on entertainment, games, social interaction, etc., vs. actual teaching of Christian doctrines.
  • The church either has no library or one that is not kept up to date.
  • There is either no staff member assigned specifically to church education, or it is assigned to an already overburdened associate pastor.
  • Doctrinal statements of the church are missing or are not prominently made available. If they exist, they do not address any controversial theological topics or make very vague statements concerning them.
Where the congregation is concerned:

• The term “Christian apologetics” is completely unfamiliar to the vast majority of the members.
  • Most of the congregation has no knowledge of church history with the names of Polycarp, Martyr, Luther, Calvin, Edwards, Wesley, Whitefield, Tyndale, and others being completely foreign to them.
  • Attendance of offered classes are very low compared to overall church attendance.
[h=3]A Warning to the Dumb Church[/h]God warns us in His Word about cultivating a dumb church. For example, chastising his readers, the writer of Hebrews offers this admonition against fostering a dumb church environment: "For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil” (Hebrews 5:12-14).
When you have a dumb church, the writer of Hebrews says the outcome is a body of believers that is incapable of properly discerning good and evil. Slowly but surely, error and heresy creep in with no one being the wiser. The end result are churches championing teachings such as universalism, applauding homosexual marriage, and calling evil good and good evil.
My friend Greg continues to train young believers in apologetics, but he does so at the co-op school used by Christian homeschool families and at his home. To date, no church has yet taken him up on his generous offer to ground their youth in the Christian faith, which is very sad.
My hope and prayer is that such situations stop happening, that dumb churches become the exception rather than the rule, and that smart people who are asking good questions about the Christian faith get the answers they’re looking for from learned believers and pastors like the ones Jeremiah describes: “I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding” (Jer. 3:15).
Describing today’s current climate and the type of Christianity that’s needed to meet the challenge, apologist and author Ravi Zacharias said: “World leaders don’t have answers anymore. And I think America’s youth will rise up to the occasion . . . but it will have to be a passionate and thoughtful Christianity and not a mindless, emotive one that has no staying power.”[3]
Some say such a thing is not need, but I disagree. One of the most haunting questions I’ve ever seen was on the back of my first church history textbook I got in seminary, which asked: “How can you live out your faith if you don’t understand it?” Anyone have a good answer?

[HR][/HR][1] http://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&r...y_DDCw&usg=AFQjCNEvoASiwktBJUzfmMd7r9Ifb7m2uQ

[2] Charles Malik, “The Other Side of Evangelism,” Christianity Today, November 7, 1980, 40.

[3] Ravi Zacharias. Just Thinking podcast. Columbia University Q&A Part 3.

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
With all due respect to the author, some of those things on the "bad list" :
Gospel preachers like Charles Finney arose and replaced the intelligent presentation of the Gospel, which was backed by meaty Biblical exposition and solid philosophical rationale, with emotional appeals, questionable theology, personal anecdotes with humor, a celebrity-style leader, and engineered publicity.

Has actually helped people understand and believe the Gospel. The personal anecdotes in particular. At my church we have a teacher, who is really good at teaching God's word. However, without anecdotes with some humor, we would all be sleeping or leaving.
Jesus certainly was not boring when he spoke and He spoke mostly in parables!
Also, I don't need a degree to believe the Bible or share the Gospel.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I don't think the author was telling pastors not to illustrate or apply the Bible. But good expository preaching takes a passage of the Bible and looks at what the Bible says, then applies it to today. Topical preaching is often guilty of taking a favorite theme or idea, then prepping it up with passages cherry picked from all over the Bible, without regards to context, genre or the rest of the passage.

I think the author also makes salient points about Bible Studies and adult Sunday School. These are opportunities to dig deep into the Word, and examine Apologetics, but most people just show up for the service, and often late at that!

Last year we had an Apologetics class in my church during Sunday School time (a church of 400 people) and we averaged 3 -4 people a class! And all of us had a science background and previous interest. What a missed learning opportunity for so many people. Our church is very educated, yet most people know little about this area of "defence of the faith."

Once again, this whole anti-intellectual attitude of "only" needing the Bible, and not using the incredible tools that God has given us through thought-provoking and intelligent people, limits our witness to entire groups of people in the Western World!

Dec 9, 2013
I agree wholeheartedly with the premise of this thread. Churches should be teaching the doctrines and providing apologetic resources. There are many religious americans who dont really know what they believe or what they are supposed to believe, they just rely on the basis that God is real and bible is truth and thats good enough.

On the flip side though you have the cases where apologetics can ultimately cause someone to leave the church as well, of course usually for completely different reasons.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I have heard of the Clergy Project. I have nothing but sorrow for people who went through ministry training and end up as unbelievers.

However, I do believe it is not apologetics, or seminary that turns believers into unbelievers. I have met people like this, and mostly, they were never believers in the first place. Some felt obligated to go into ministry by family and friends, and others thought it would be an easy route.

Following God is never easy, esp. when he has called you to ministry. However, this post is really for believers, not unbelievers, so the link is really irrelevant to the topic of the post, which is training believers in their faith.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Great question. The church I attend does a good job of incorporating the supernatural presence of God and the fruits of the Holy Spirit with Biblical teaching. The apologetics arise organically among the youth meaning they are such in love with God, as a result of the former, that are self-motivated to do the work regarding apologetics as an extension of their Bible studies.

I've been in Bible teaching churches that sorely lack the former and I've been in emotional churches that sorely lack the latter. You need both to be balanced.

I'm a fighter by nature who grew up on the rough side of life so the former doesn't come as easy to me as the latter does. I've met people that are the opposite though... lol.

To be a truly effective person for Christ, you need a very healthy dose of both in my opinion.

We have a very active apologetics program in our church, including for the teens. They attend all the different workshops and seminars we have, in order to learn more about "defense of the faith."

I found this interesting blog on line.

"the greatest danger confronting American evangelical Christianity is the danger of anti-intellectualism"

The Tragedy of the Dumb Church

What do you think? Does your church teach and preach? Or just entertain and then wonder why the youth are leaving?

Jan 20, 2014
We have a very active apologetics program in our church, including for the teens. They attend all the different workshops and seminars we have, in order to learn more about "defense of the faith."

I found this interesting blog on line.

"the greatest danger confronting American evangelical Christianity is the danger of anti-intellectualism"

The Tragedy of the Dumb Church

What do you think? Does your church teach and preach? Or just entertain and then wonder why the youth are leaving?
In all sincerity, if you are interested in growing spiritually and becoming educated spiritually, a kingdom hall would be the perfect place to find. if you get a chance (even out of curiosity) visit jw.org. you can click on publications and online library. There is not a topic or a question you can search that isn't covered there. on the home page there are also many topics that appeal to all types of people.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
You have been reported for proselytizing!

Photoss

Sep 15, 2012
A follower of Christ should always be ready to give a defense when people ask about the hope that we live by.

DeRicco

Jan 7, 2014
My former church was smallish with a congregation of about 200 (I left when they decided not to let the homeless enter the church to hear the Sunday sermon). The attendance at the services was very consistent. Then came a change in pastors and in leadership direction. It was decided by the leadership to implement a policy of required member involvement in courses in apologetics.

That church lost close to 50% of its membership. They lost the older members as they found this policy too difficult and they lost the younger members, especially the youth, as they didn't want to take courses. They found it too much like school. In both instances most members didn't know what apologetics even was.

I am not saying that apologetics is bad, rather it can be very good and extremely useful. But, with regard to the article referenced in this post, I don't find it at all difficult to believe that no church took up the offer of the writer's friend. We have a new church member today. We have many that want a sermon easy to understand and filled with anecdotes and personal stories. People don't want to think today. Expository sermons are out of touch with today's youth.

Personally, I love traditional sermons with a point, those that expound on a passage in context. I also like the traditional hymns. However, churches want to survive today. They give the masses what they want: praise worship music, a topical "series" type sermon, no standard church bible (use the version you want), no hymn books in the pews (it's all on the screens), etc.

I am having trouble finding a church such as proffered in the article. Are there any "non-dumb" churches still out there? I know in my area of a hundred different churches, one like that it tough, if not impossible, to find. My point here is that apologetics is good, but the contemporary church of today doesn't want to offer this as a course, they would rather (as the article says) offer courses in mainstream subjects like household finance and offer playtime for kids rather than bible study.

Everyone's geographical area is indeed different, but this is my experience. Churches today offer what members want, and it appears that they don't want apologetics, as useful as it may be.

Last edited: