Is Your Life Too Loud?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

LynnJ

Here it is, New Year's Eve, and I am sitting here contemplating what this year has taught me and how I can take those lessons into 2012.

I am reading a book that my parents-in-law gave to me for Christmas, Forgotten God: Reversing our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit, by Francis Chan. It is an amazing book--simple, yet profound. The primary thing that has really hit home to me regarding my relationship with God is discussed in Chapter 5 as the author exposes some of our excuses for lack of intimacy with the Lord. Here I am, a mature Christian who loves God very much, and yet I have allowed many distractions to hinder my quiet time with God over this past year. Chan expresses this as "Volume--Maybe Your Life is Too Loud" (excerpt below):
Multitasking has become the norm. When was the last time you had an uninterrupted conversation with anyone? No phones, text messages, or to-do lists running through your mind. It's so rare nowadays to be able to look someone in the eye without interruption or distraction. A while back, I found myself talking on the phone, emailing on my laptop, and playing Wii with my daughter all at once. In my quest to accomplish much, I've lost the art of focusing on one thing or one person. This in turn has affected my prayer life, as I'm sure it has affected yours. [OUCH!] I find it harder to simply be with God, to focus only on Him while spending intentional time with Him.
Our lack of intimacy often is due to our refusal to unplug and shut off communication from all others so we can be alone with Him.

In the craziness of our world, it takes tremendous effort to find a quiet place. It takes time to quiet your mind and your heart before the Lord. It means turning off the music, the television, or your cell phone.
It is a spiritual discipline to be still, to listen, and to cut out the distraction and din of our world. And as we practice this stillness, this waiting, this being, it is then we can experience deep intimacy and relationship with the Holy Spirit.
(Forgotten God, pp. 108-109)
I have found myself praying and reading the Bible while answering email, Facebooking, or playing online games. Shame on me! This should not be! I must follow Jesus' example and go to a "quiet place," wherever that may be here at home or elsewhere, and get away from all that distracts me from His Presence:
Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. (Mark 1:35 NIV)

He says, "Be still and know that I am God..." (Psalm 46:10 NIV)
My resolution for 2012:
TO BE FULLY PRESENT WITH GOD . . . AND WITH OTHERS.

Has your life been too loud this year?
How are you resolving to be more intimate with the Heavenly Father?