It's good to be single.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
A question popped into my head earlier, and I think that this might be the right thread to ask it on.

We know that Peter and James had wives, and we also know that they had very productive ministries.

At the same time, we also know that Paul was single, and he also had a very productive mininstry.

What then is the real difference as far as either being married or unmarried is concerned?

I mean, I wish that the Bible told us more about Peter's and James' wives. We have the account of Jesus healing Peter's mother-in-law, but, off the top of my head, I do not recall any real mention of them elsewhere in scripture other than Paul's passing mention of them in 1 Corinthians. What were their wives doing while they were out ministering? I would kind of like to know.

At the moment, and I have not fully thought this out yet, the differences between the married apostles and the unmarried Paul seem to be that Peter and John seem to have ministered more locally in that they are normally found in Jerusalem whereas Paul did a lot of traveling. Paul did say, in relation to the other apostles, that he labored more abundantly than they all did, so maybe he had less restrictions or family responsibilities than the married apostles did. I do not know.

Any thoughts anybody?
Ugh, can you imagine being Peter's wife?

"Look I know you're so holy and spiritual that people get healed by your shadow, but come on Pete! You're never home, you're always out preaching, and I've started hearing whispers about they're mad enough to crucify you like they crucified that Jesus fellow you used to hang around with! I know you don't give two hoots about your own skin, but think what it would do to me!"

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
If it was a contest, then I might have you beat in overall events. In other words, in addition to being alone where a woman is concerned, I think that I have only had one real friend in my entire life, and that friendship ended years ago. It seems to me, and I believe that I am of a sound mind, that God has deliberately separated me unto himself for my own good and for the potential good of others. In regard to me, I thankfully have had the sense to use my alone time in seeking God, studying his word, and purifying myself before him. In regard to others, I have been effective at times, by God's grace, in influencing others positively where the gospel is concerned.

Like I said earlier, normally, I am okay with all of that, but I would be lying if I were to say that I have never thought that it would be nice to have a female companion by my side. It is what it is, so I just accept it, and try to keep moving forward. There is no sense in crying over spilled milk.
Eh... I bawl over spilled milk. I hate spilled milk. I can't accept it! I WON'T!

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
Ugh, can you imagine being Peter's wife?

"Look I know you're so holy and spiritual that people get healed by your shadow, but come on Pete! You're never home, you're always out preaching, and I've started hearing whispers about they're mad enough to crucify you like they crucified that Jesus fellow you used to hang around with! I know you don't give two hoots about your own skin, but think what it would do to me!"
I also wonder if the married apostles had children, and how their ministries affected them.

The Bible is silent on certain matters, but I guess that we know what we need to know.

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
It is not so much that I have lost hope. Instead, I have adjusted my mentality. For example, seeing how a marital relationship was designed to reflect the relationship between the Bridegroom, Christ, and the bride, the church, I try to compare my longing for a bride to Christ's longing for a bride. In his case, she is found, or won, or however one might say it, through receiving the gospel message. Since this is so, even if I am without a bride myself, I try to focus on helping Christ attain his bride, if that makes any sense. Anyway, I just try to take things one day at a time. If I look too far down the road, then I get messed up in my mind.

Btw, the nunnery sounds too much like the gunnery for me. Lol.
I think the devil tricks single people into believing one of his many lies about marriage and we end up focusing on the thing that we dont have making it seem so much more important than it actually is. I am ok with being single and if God has a good match for me than I trust him to somehow make us meet. I hear so many horror stories that is why I am leaving my match to God. I would probably pick the wrong one. I have in the past.

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
A question popped into my head earlier, and I think that this might be the right thread to ask it on.

We know that Peter and James had wives, and we also know that they had very productive ministries.

At the same time, we also know that Paul was single, and he also had a very productive mininstry.

What then is the real difference as far as either being married or unmarried is concerned?

I mean, I wish that the Bible told us more about Peter's and James' wives. We have the account of Jesus healing Peter's mother-in-law, but, off the top of my head, I do not recall any real mention of them elsewhere in scripture other than Paul's passing mention of them in 1 Corinthians. What were their wives doing while they were out ministering? I would kind of like to know.

At the moment, and I have not fully thought this out yet, the differences between the married apostles and the unmarried Paul seem to be that Peter and John seem to have ministered more locally in that they are normally found in Jerusalem whereas Paul did a lot of traveling. Paul did say, in relation to the other apostles, that he labored more abundantly than they all did, so maybe he had less restrictions or family responsibilities than the married apostles did. I do not know.

Any thoughts anybody?
they would probably be no different to the pastors of the mega churches that travel these days. They spend x amount of time away from their families and have hopefully have understanding wives. Usually the pastors wifes are not particularly happy as they usually raise the kids on their own. I think to be a pastors wife would be difficult to say the least. I know an elderly pastors wife and she hated it. Her husband was never around, she looked after the kids and the home and when he was home he had no time for her or the kids. He was tired and wanted to be left alone.

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023

Any thoughts anybody?
You've asked some good questions here, and have given some good thought provoking answers.
I have some thoughts, but my brain feels like straw right now, (I'm sure you can understand :LOL: -sorry/not sorry) and so sharing my thoughts in a coherent way other would understand is not happening right now.
I've never really thought about it, but now that I am thinking about it I think their wives were likely at home supporting them behind the scenes, ministering to them at home, and living a Proverbs 31 woman's life.

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
You've asked some good questions here, and have given some good thought provoking answers.
I have some thoughts, but my brain feels like straw right now, (I'm sure you can understand :LOL: -sorry/not sorry) and so sharing my thoughts in a coherent way other would understand is not happening right now.
I've never really thought about it, but now that I am thinking about it I think their wives were likely at home supporting them behind the scenes, ministering to them at home, and living a Proverbs 31 woman's life.
Somebody told me that the Tin Man has the correct answers to all of my questions, but he is not talking...yet.

1000000039.jpg