Ive been outside the US for over 6 months.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
I try not to Interpret anything. I Translate from Original Language. My Wife Speaks Spain Spanish, British English, Nan Lao and Bangkok Thai. I Understand British English and Mexico Spanish. My English is from the USA. My Wife never Interprets for me, she Translates. That means that I must also study culture to understand The application of certain words in context. My Wife doesnt use the Bathroom, she "Goes To The Luew". Pretty Clear to me. Beyond that I rely on The Holy Spirit to Teach me and Guide me in Relationships. That is the Key, because Salvation is Relationship. Im not a True Born Son, Im adopted, Grafted In a "Wild Olive Branch".

In my Prior Vocation I had to work with State Department Translators. I worked with Military from Many Nations. I was warned to "Never Try To Interpret". Which Begs some Questions. Was Enoch "Translated" or "Interpreted"? Eligha, Translated or Interpreted? Me at Rapture? I prefer Translation. Interpret that any way you want.
I think after a year in Thai you might lose this way of thinking too. :)
You know why? Because i can look at scriptures directly in Greek which is close to my region (Albania) and i also know all the cultural habits of that region.

I've mentioned this before but what i have learned is to never get lost in translations but focus on the essential message.
I can read all the translations in Italian, Greek, English and i see the message is there despite minor errors.

An analogy to this is the bias in the news.

For example, let’s say that a bus crashed.

An independent news company, let’s say BBC, would report it as:
A bus crash happened on the Brooklyn bridge at 11:30AM today. 3 people died and there were many injured, latest reports say 15 injured. Cause of the crash is unknown at this point.

A right wing news company, let’s say FoxNews, would report it as:
Illegal Mexican hijacks the bus and kills 3 Christians. Why is Biden allowing this?

A left wing news company, let’s say CNN, would report it as:
White nationalist Christian, kills 3 trans people in rage argument and injures many others. Should Christians be allowed to drive?

In all these cases you know that a bus crash happened, despite all the flavorful comments so that's where the focus should be. The focus is the core message. This is why you shouldn't treat things as they're describing a precise engineering work of a launch of a rocket in space.
Spiritual teachings are simple and the gift of communication is to reduce all complex ideas into a way so they can be understood by a 5 year old or a 90 year old.

This is why Jesus had divine wisdom in His parables.
So this is why it's important to never get lost in translations because as you may know, or as i know personally, you can never ever be 100% accurate into translating one word (with a lot of cultural baggage) into another language without losing some of the original focus or meaning.

I have also opened a fun topic here about English idioms.
For example if you try to translate word for word "It's raining cats and dogs" into another language, they would look at you like you have 2 heads. :D

resto

Feb 25, 2019
I find no Idioms in Scripture(Jesus). Culture is merely a "Group Influence". Scripture Means what God Says and Says What God Means. There is no way to Not Understand or Misunderstand Gods Word(Jesus). If it were possible to not understand The Bible, after serious subjection to Him, that would mean that God was incapable of Communicating. That would mean God is Inept. Be very careful, The only way to False Doctrine, is the way of Rebellion. I place my self under Gods Word. I do not seek to Rule over others.
I fully Support the 2nd Amendment to the CONUS. The US was founded on Godly Principles and Endowments from God. Two of these are, Freedom of Choice and Just Recompence. Any Society or Individual that does not Promote these two Endowments, is Un Godly. God does not Dominate People. He simply, IS God and All Powerful. He IS Gracious and without Ego, unlike Satan, who seeks to take away choice. Gods Holy Spirit "Called" me to Thailand, He didnt call me to be influenced by it. Because God influenced me to Sell and Give away all my Guns, most likly means that I dont need them. I couldnt bring my Guns to Thailand. Because I got rid of them, doesnt mean that others in the US dont need them. It probably means Im not going to make it back to the US, why would I care. I am not the kind of person to be influenced by outside forces. I am influenced from Inside forces. The Spirit of God lives in me, The Word of God Dwells in me. I dont seek to Influence others by Using God or His Word. I simply Love People and Share The Word, people are allowed to do with this as they please. Gods Holy Spirit, Reveals Gods Word(Jesus).
Now The spark for Englands defeat in their war against the American Colony was, Gun Confiscation. England turned from God and "The Great Commission. The Colonies Fought for and Won "The Great Commission". If you consider the CONUS in the Context of Humans having control of Government, then you understand that Citizens may at some time have to use force to overcome the Government over them. That is what happened in the Colonies. Read The Declaration Of Independence. King Cyrus even gave the Hebrews the Right to own weapons and defend themselves as a Separate People. King Cyrus, Recognized Jerusalem as The Capital of Israel(Jacob). Not since that Day has any Authority declared such, until Donald Trump. This is not a random thing. "Trump" I would do some Bible study on that word. Be very careful, maybe people dont know the Days they live in. Fair Warning.