James 5:12

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 7, 2017
[FONT=&quot]Question asked by Pamelasv:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]“But above all things, my brethren, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]swear not[/FONT][FONT=&quot], neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.” (James 5.12).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Why would you fall under judgement?[/FONT]

E

eternally-gratefull

It means to be truthful, Don't lie, then swear you are not lying, like, I promise to God I did this, when in reality you did not.

The truth will find you out. and you will be judged a liar.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
[FONT=&quot]Question asked by Pamelasv:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]“But above all things, my brethren, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]swear not[/FONT][FONT=&quot], neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.” (James 5.12).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Why would you fall under judgement?[/FONT]
Actually, no :) I never swear.

I would fall under judgement for other things, though...

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
Question asked by Pamelasv:

· “But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.” (James 5.12).

Why would you fall under judgement?
This is really about making any oath and not just about swearing by something that you mean to finish that oath.

Galatians 5:1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.[SUP]2 [/SUP]Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.[SUP]3 [/SUP]For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.[SUP]4 [/SUP]Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.[SUP]5 [/SUP]For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

If circumcision is the smallest letter of the law and if you do that, you are entitled to do the whole law, then imagine what making a promise or a commitment to God is under the law when that is the biggest letter of the law?

How we follow Him is important. If we follow Him by doing the best we can under the law of those promises and commitments made to God, then we will be judged as under the law as those who circumcised themselves by.

But if we surrender to Him by trusting Him as our Good Shepherd in relying on Him & His promises to us all the time, we will get to know Him & the power of His resurrection when He helps us to follow Him.

Luke 9:23
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Hebrews 11:[SUP]6 [/SUP]But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Philippians 1:
[SUP]6 [/SUP]Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:[SUP]7 [/SUP]Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.[SUP]8 [/SUP]For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ.[SUP]9 [/SUP]And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;[SUP]10 [/SUP]That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ.[SUP]11 [/SUP]Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

1 John 3:
[SUP]3 [/SUP]And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure....[SUP]8 [/SUP]He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

2 Timothy 4:
[SUP]18 [/SUP]And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:
[SUP]24 [/SUP]Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,[SUP]25 [/SUP]To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Trusting the Lord as our Savior that we are saved simply by believing in Him is how we are reconciled with God through Jesus Christ AND SO trusting the Lord as our Good Shepherd by believing in Him to help us to follow Him is how we live this reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

That is why it is written that the just shall live by faith, but trying to keep promises to God is not of faith, but under the law, and by the law, no one will be justified, for by those promises are the knowledge of sins; and by it condemnation as under the law.

So believers today need to ask Jesus to forgive them for making promises & commitments to follow Him that are His to keep and set them free from all of them to rest in Him to help them be good and to do good in following Him by the grace of God and by faith in Jesus Christ & all His promises to us.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Pretty sure it says "condemnation," not "judgement."

Just saying.............there is a difference

Feb 7, 2017
· [FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Be patien[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Grudge not one against another[/FONT][FONT=&quot], brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door. Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]patience[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy. But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot](James 5.7-12)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No one should even wrath against his brother [/FONT][FONT=&quot](as may be seen in Matthew 5.21, 22)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Even if the individual is being a victim of injustice or being oppressed by his brother [/FONT][FONT=&quot](James 5:1-6)[/FONT][FONT=&quot], yet the individual should wait patiently for the Eternal [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Psalm 37:7; 40.1)[/FONT][FONT=&quot], for He will soon do him justice [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Luke 18:7,8)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Moreover, considering that the life of Jesus is near and our life in this world is short, we have no time to lose trying to retain what people think we should give them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To waste time cultivating hurt will only rob us of our time and energy, making it difficult or even impossible for us to fulfill its mission, and with this we will be approved before the Eternal [/FONT][FONT=&quot](2 Timothy 2:15)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We have to think that Jesus, our judge and our offender, is near.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So let us keep our eyes fixed on all that the Lord has given to the prophets as well as Job, so that we may never tire of patience, even in the midst of the greatest afflictions. After all, in comparison with all the inheritance that the Eternal has for us, everything we pass is light and momentary [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Romans 8:18; 2 Corinthians 4:16-18)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Faced with this, one more reason to never lose sight of that the Eternal is full of mercy and pity. That is, His greatest pleasure is to be able to manifest this in the sight of people [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Luke 15: 7,9; Romans 11:32)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But what does all this have to do with oath?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]“Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door. Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy. But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot](James 5.9,12)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is quite true that in the Old Testament the oath was a resource used as a guarantee that what was being said was true:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]“For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Hebrews 6.16)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That is to say, individuals placed themselves under the judgment of their superior [/FONT][FONT=&quot](usually the Eternal Himself)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] so that the other could accept his word and cease to contend. Even more so, considering that the accursed man is the man who trusts in man [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Jeremiah 17:5)[/FONT][FONT=&quot], nothing more indicated than to seek in the Eternal the confirmation that the individual is saying is true.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, it is good to remember that there is only judgment when there is demand between people. The big problem here is that the individuals were swearing so that their listeners would be sure that their accusations against their neighbors were true.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is clear that whoever desires evil in the life of the neighbor is calling the curse and condemnation for himself:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]“Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: lest the LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Proverbs 24.17,18)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]“As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Psalms 109.17)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You may ask: "But what does it mean what Jesus said?”.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]“Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: but I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Matthew 5.33-37)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In this case, what is being questioned is that when someone asks us to do something, we should not be promising what we are going to do. If what is being asked is good, let us do it promptly; If not, let us refuse immediately. If we want to do, but we are without conditions, then refuse to do until you are able to comply immediately.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But nothing to try to force others to believe that you will change, will do, etc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Finally, we should never try to force individuals to accept what we are saying. May they be convinced by the presence of Christ in us. After all, when Jesus speaks, who belongs to Him accepts without question [/FONT][FONT=&quot](1 John 4:4-6)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot](John 10.1-5)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Moreover, the truth is absolute: it does not need our additions. On the contrary, our additions may end up weakening the truth.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For example, if we tell a story to illustrate a truth, how each story allows for individual interpretation, then we become relative truth.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the other hand, if truth alone is given, then its effectiveness and power is confirmed. Stories, oaths, etc. are weak methods for trying to convince someone of a particular belief.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Truth, on the other hand, does not need help to be true. Because Jesus is the Truth [/FONT][FONT=&quot](John 14:6)[/FONT][FONT=&quot], it simply is [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Exodus 3:14-15)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When someone who is of truth hears the truth in his heart, the Holy Spirit who dwells in him simply says "yes" [/FONT][FONT=&quot](2 Corinthians 1:91, Revelation 3:19)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and convinces us of everything [/FONT][FONT=&quot](John 16:8)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. There's no doubt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]May Jesus enable us to receive the truth within us [/FONT][FONT=&quot](James 1:21)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and let it speak in our hearts.[/FONT]

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Question asked by Pamelasv:

· “But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.” (James 5.12).

Why would you fall under judgement?
My daughter would not participate in the speech when she was in Girl Scouts, because they kept repeating the words "I promise to..." To say you promise means that normally it's ify whether or not your yes or no are accurate. It can be done, I don't have a problem with swearing as fowl language or as giving future guarantees- I either say I'll try, or that's what my plan is thus far, but sometimes plans change. Even if I got married, I would say "I do" not "I promise I do."

I had a guy turn to me once in Bible class and look at me angrily after I mentioned I don't swear. He said "I don't care who you are, under the right circumstances everyone swears!" But I truly don't- I say ouch. I have been kidnapped, beat up, held captive in a basement for years, was smothered with a pillow and almost died, I've been cut, shot at, etc.- all without swearing or cursing God. So I wonder under what circumstance he thinks I'm going to swear?

This scripture makes sense because every idle word will be judged, along with every intention of the heart and mind. Every word will be examined closely as if it were under a magnified glass under trial. How do I do it? I examine what I say before I say- it's just a habit. I don't say anything in the futuristic-tense for the most part, but if I do, they are irrelevant. Let me give an example, if I say I will love God forever, but don't, I'd be in hell anyways. But I know I will love God forever, and when bad things happen I cling to Him even more- not blame Him.