James does not teach that we are saved by works.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 23, 2011
"James does not teach that we are saved by works".
"The letter [of St. James] has many direct parallels with the Sermon on the Mount. James does not teach that we are saved by works, but he does teach that a dead faith, one without works, does not save. This is an early polemic against invisible religion, or mental faith, wherein salvation by faith does not require visible works; and against antinomianism, the teaching that moral behavior is irrelevant to salvation. James is clear: the human will is not bypassed in salvation; grace does not nullify personal responsibility. ("The Orthodox Study Bible," "Introduction")". [page 10: The Epistle of St. James: A Commentary. The Most Reverend DMITRI Royster, Archbishop of Dallas and the South. Yonkers, New York: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press.].

We do not save ourselves by our good works (Eph. 2:8-9, Titus 3:5), but we are not saved without good works (Eph. 2:10, James 2:24).

God save us (Titus 3:5). Amen. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

L

Laodicea

James 2:18
(18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

C

CanadaNZ

Exactly we are not saved by works, but works should be the result of our faith and salvation.

C

Crimeny

works and grace and faith combined???

Jan 14, 2010
James taught that works was the evidence of true, genuine faith

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
From what I have read in James, is that He made a distinction between a work of faith and works not saving, for without the faith hope and love we are called to, that works are dead without Jesus.
James did speak to how we are to live a work of faith, being that faith is a work.
For we are to live and step forward , even when we do not see the evidence, in faith, believing that in everything we do, move towards in Jesus, we continue always in faith, living the promise of salvation and provision in Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh.
For we are not saved by works, but we are called to do good works, for these are the fruits of His love alive in us.
But the work of faith, is what brings all that is Jesus's salvation and promise, grace in our lives.
So we are saved by this promise given in Jesus, because we live a work of faith.

God bless
pickles

Jun 24, 2010
James taught that works was the evidence of true, genuine faith
If I love the unlovely, that is a work of love.

If I trust God for that which is impossible with men, that is a work of faith.

If I minister grace to those who are broken and will listen. that is a work of edification.

If I lay my life down and deny myself for those who do not deserve it, that is the work of the cross.

If I have to bear up under the many burden that come in the plan of God, that is the work of patience.

If I give to others what they do not deserve, that is a work of grace.

If if I preach the gospel and man believes in the name of the Jesus Christ unto salvation, that is the work of believing in His name.

If I feed and give drink to those who are hungry and thirsty, if I visit the sick and those in prison, if I cloth the naked and take strangers in that have no place to lay their head, that is a work and a ministry unto the Lord.

If I have a faith that relies upon grace and trusts in the promises of God and have a love that goes beyond knowledge despite my failure and shortcomings, then I have a faith that works by love and am a friend of the living God.

Nov 23, 2011
Red33;606486 said:

If I minister grace to those who are broken and will listen. that is a work of edification.

If I lay my life down and deny myself for those who do not deserve it, that is the work of the cross.

If I have to bear up under the many burden that come in the plan of God, that is the work of patience.

If if I preach the gospel and man believes in the name of the Jesus Christ unto salvation, that is the work of believing in His name.

If I feed and give drink to those who are hungry and thirsty, if I visit the sick and those in prison, if I cloth the naked and take strangers in that have no place to lay their head, that is a work and a ministry unto the Lord.

If I have a faith that relies upon grace and trusts in the promises of God and have a love that goes beyond knowledge despite my failure and shortcomings, then I have a faith that works by love and am a friend of the living God.
Amen. We are saved by "faith which worketh by love" (Gal. 5:6), and not by faith alone (James 2:24), cf. 1 Cor. 13:13 (love is greater than faith alone).

C

Christena

The bible says we are saved by GRACE Ephesians 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--

grace is the power of GOd working in and through us doing what we are unable to do...it is our faith in GOd(which He gives us a measure of) that enables us to say yes to the gift of salvation. A person can say they have faith but if there is not an action to say yes I accept Jesus into my heart then its dead/useless-James 2:20. Faith requires action/obedience... not deeds or good works...In Hebrews 11 it talks about the people of faith. They acted on the promises of God in faith and trusted God even when they didnt know all the ends and outs.

Grace and faith go hand in hand-

Feb 9, 2010
The Bible says we are not saved by works,but it is a gift of God,by Jesus Christ.

The Bible says faith without works is dead,which means if we do not have works,then our faith is void in our life,which means we cannot be saved,for our faith does not apply in our life.

Add to this,the Bible says we are not saved by faith alone,and Abraham was justified by works and caused his faith to be made perfect,and says faith cannot save us if it is not accompanied with works.

14What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone(James 2:14-17).

This plain and simple says it does not profit a person,if they do not have works,and faith alone cannot save them.

But notice it says feeding and clothing people,which are works of God.If we do not have works of the Spirit,which is to help the poor with food and clothing,which the Bible says we are prepared unto all good works,then we cannot be saved,and are faith is dead,in which there is no faith in our life.

The Bible says we are not saved by works.
The Bible says without works we are not saved,because our faith is dead,and we do not profit by our faith,so we have to have works.

And there goes the controversy between people that believe we are not saved by works,and people that believe we are saved by works.

But there is no controversy in the Bible.

We are not saved by works,but it is a gift of God,by Jesus Christ,means we are not saved by anything we do to try to get to heaven apart from Jesus Christ,like the Old Testament,or false religions and their works.

We are saved by works,means we have faith activated in our life that saves us,by having works that are of the Spirit.

Not saved by works means not accepting Christ trying to get to heaven,that none of those works will get us to heaven,not that we do not have to have works after we come to Christ.

Saved by works means after we come to Christ.We have to have works of the Spirit to have faith that saves us.

Not saved by works means not accepting Christ,trying to get to heaven.Our works apart from Christ will not save us.

It is not talking that we do not have to have works after we come to Christ,but none of our works apart from Christ will save us.

Since we are fleshy,and those that are in the flesh cannot please God,then we have no works pleasing to God.

But when we believe in Jesus and repent of our sins,those are the only good works we have so far pleasing to God,so no works before that please God,so we are not saved by any works we did apart from Christ.

When we accept Christ,and receive the Spirit,then we have to do good works of the Spirit,to have faith alive in our life that saves us.

Not saved by works is not talking after we come to Christ,but no works we do apart from Christ will save us.

Not saved by works,before we come to Christ,or not coming to Christ.

Saved by works,because faith is alive,after we come to Christ.

So then the controversy is solved.Not saved by works and saved by works are both not talking about after we come to Christ,but only saved by works is after we come to Christ.

Not saved by works is without Christ trying to get to heaven.Any works we do without accepting Christ will save us,but only by accepting Christ,and then doing the works of the Spirit.

We are not saved by any works we do,but only by the works the Spirit gives us to do.

Jan 14, 2010

then prove that you have faith

Jun 24, 2010
The just shall live by faith (Rom 5:1), so when we walk by faith (by every word of God) God reveals His righteousness (Rom 1:17) and grace reigns through that righteousness unto eternal life (Rom 5:21, Gal 2:21). To be able to prove all things concerning our faith, we must walk by faith in the promises of God and that is ongoing and moment by moment in the plan of God. If we fall, we fall into the grace of God wherein we stand (Rom 5:2, 1Pt 5:12) for God is able to hold us up and make us stand (Rom 14:4).

A

AnandaHya

Having faith is not enough. Faith in Whom is just as important.

Some people have faith in false idols, money, themselves, etc.

Some people have more faith in their pastors and man-made doctrines then God, His Word, His Holy Spirit.

Nov 23, 2011
OldOrthodoxChristian;606008 said:
"James does not teach that we are saved by works".

"The letter [of St. James] has many direct parallels with the Sermon on the Mount.

James does not teach that we are saved by works, but he does teach that a dead faith,

one without works, does not save. This is an early polemic against invisible religion, or

mental faith, wherein salvation by faith does not require visible works; and against

antinomianism, the teaching that moral behavior is irrelevant to salvation. James is

clear: the human will is not bypassed in salvation; grace does not nullify personal

responsibility. ("The Orthodox Study Bible," "Introduction")". [page 10: The Epistle of St.

James: A Commentary. The Most Reverend DMITRI Royster, Archbishop of Dallas and

the South. Yonkers, New York: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press.].

We do not save ourselves by our good works (Eph. 2:8-9, Titus 3:5), but we are not

saved without good works (Eph. 2:10, James 2:24).

God save us (Titus 3:5). Amen. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

"vv. 21-24. Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon

the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works his faith was made perfect? And

the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for

righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified,

and not by faith only."

"We have now come to the section of the Epistle [of James] that was rejected by some of the reformers,

notably Martin Luther, who espoused a "salvation-by-faith-alone" doctrine. This doctrine stems from an

imagined faith-works opposition, a product of the mistake of considering the Scriptures as independent of

any tradition. Luther flatly contradicted St. James, and only reluctantly included his Epistle in his "canon

of Scripture," but "not as one of the chief books, which are to lay the foundation of faith." (See Martin

Luther's "Preface to the Epistles of St. James and St. Jude.")

"The holy Fathers, however, do not recognize any opposition between faith and works. St. Clement of

Rome ("Epistle," Chapters 31-34), for example, asks, "For what was our father Abraham blessed? Was it

not because he wrought righteousness and truth through faith?" And although he stresses the fact that

salvation is a gift from God and according to His will, and that works alone do not merit salvation, he goes

on to point out that he Scriptures indicate that we will be judged according to our works. (For the most

conclusive evidence of this fact, see Matthew 25.)

"According to St. Cyril of Alexandria (ibid., Homily 86), St. Paul (whom he assumes to be the author of the

Epistle to the Hebrews) "has laid down for us a definition, so to speak, or rather a general law, thus

saying: "Without faith it is impossible for anyone whatsoever to please God" (Hebrews 11:6). In the

recounting of stories of the ancients who "by faith ... obtained a good report" (Hebrews 11:2-6), in each

case, he relates the principal deeds which were the proof of their faith: "But that the fathers were

proved by faith, the examination of their deeds demonstrates."

"St. Cyril of Jerusalem ("Catechetical Lecture V," no. 5) expresses his conviction that faith and good

works are inseparable. Speaking of Abraham, he says, "He was justified not only by works, but also by

faith; for though he did many things well, yet he was never called the friend of God, except when he

believed. Moreover, every work was performed in faith." That works are the product of faith, and that if

there are no works, faith is either dead or non-existent, the holy Fathers have no doubt. ...."

[pp. 60-61: The Epistle of St. James: A Commentary. The Most Reverend DMITRI Royster,

Archbishop of Dallas and the South. Yonkers, NY: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2010.].

God save us in His mercy (Titus 3:5). Amen. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

S

SantoSubito

Look this is easily reconcilable if you draw a distinction between two different kinds of faith. First is mental faith which is not enough to save us (e.g. even the demons believe and tremble!), and active faith which is doing good works by the prompting and direction of God. If you separate either from the other then you do not have a faith that can save, but dead faith. Combined, however, they are a powerful force capable of saving a man and many others through his work.

And by performing works of mercy, corporal or spiritual, we further our sanctification and thus our salvation.

Last edited:
T

Tobby17

I think James teaches that Works supplement faith, or work is like Faith being brought into Action..

Jan 14, 2010
The just shall live by faith (Rom 5:1), so when we walk by faith (by every word of God) God reveals His righteousness (Rom 1:17) and grace reigns through that righteousness unto eternal life (Rom 5:21, Gal 2:21). To be able to prove all things concerning our faith, we must walk by faith in the promises of God and that is ongoing and moment by moment in the plan of God. If we fall, we fall into the grace of God wherein we stand (Rom 5:2, 1Pt 5:12) for God is able to hold us up and make us stand (Rom 14:4).
James 2:17-20
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. (James 2:24)
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. (James 2:26)

so I ask you again: prove you have faith.
I can prove my faith by my works.

those works don't save me... they are simply the evidence of my faith.
do you have that evidence of your faith?