Jesus' claims about himself

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

CanadaNZ

I found out something very useful today, it comes from the well-known and trusted Jewish historian, Josephus. He says that Jesus was killed because. . . .wait for it. . . ."claiming to be God". There are so many on here that try and say that the instances in the bible where Jesus claimed to be God, is mistranslated or some other reason they come up with, but here we have a Jewish, not christian, scholar who states that this is what he was condemned for.

A

Andrew

I would imagine the text in question would be:

Matt 26:64 (NAS)
64 Jesus said to him, "You have said it {yourself} nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you shall see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven."

compared to:

Matt 26:63-64a (NIV)
63 But Jesus remained silent. The high priest said to him, "I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God."
64 "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied.

There are other clearer texts:

Jesus forgave sins, which only God had the authority to do (Mk 2:5-11,Lk 5:20-24)
Jesus said that he had seen Abraham and that he is eternal: "'I tell you the truth,' Jesus answered, 'before Abraham was born, I am!'" (Jn 8:57-58)
Jesus said that he had seen God, which no one else could do (Jn 6:46)

Jesus used the phrase or name "I AM" for himself on several occasions. This is the name of God when spoken in the right context. Let's look at some of these, trying to imagine our reactions upon hearing Jesus' radical claims:

• “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12)
  • “I am the way, the truth and the life” (John 14:6)
  • “I am the only way to the Father” (John 14:6)
  • “I am the resurrection and the life” (John 11:25)
  • “I am the Good Shepherd” (John 10:11)
  • “I am the door” (John 10:9)
  • “I am the living bread” (John 6:51)
  • “I am the true vine” (John 15:1)
  • “I am the Alpha and Omega” Rev.1:7,8)

As CS Lewis observes, if these claims were not from God Himself, Jesus would have been deemed a loony. But what made Jesus credible to those who heard him were the creative miracles he performed, and his wise authoritative teaching

Andrew

B

babyboyblue

We can also see this in John 10.

John 10:32-34
King James Version (KJV)
*32Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

*33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

C

CanadaNZ

Yea I agree, but I posted this because there are many who would claim Jesus never claimed to be God.

C

CanadaNZ

Another passage would be Matthew 12:7

Aug 2, 2009
Of course he's God, who else would he be? That's why he said whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9).

May 18, 2011
I found out something very useful today, it comes from the well-known and trusted Jewish historian, Josephus. He says that Jesus was killed because. . . .wait for it. . . ."claiming to be God". There are so many on here that try and say that the instances in the bible where Jesus claimed to be God, is mistranslated or some other reason they come up with, but here we have a Jewish, not christian, scholar who states that this is what he was condemned for.
Shalom my friend, I'll give you one more, as you probably know that Josephus was not a practicing religious man, but he even states in one of his historical books, to somewhat paraphrase " The man Yeshua died, and 3 days later came back to life as He said He would."

I know this may not go with your OP, but so many I've heard declare that Yeshua's followers are the only ones who say He rose from the dead. We have a secular historian who says it also. Just thought I'd share that with your OP. Shalom

Dec 19, 2009
Jesus was God in flesh. He taught us how to find happiness and eternal security. He knew he would be killed, because he knew how jealous the leaders would be of him.

Dec 14, 2011
There are other clearer texts:

• “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12)
  • “I am the way, the truth and the life” (John 14:6)
  • “I am the only way to the Father” (John 14:6)
  • “I am the resurrection and the life” (John 11:25)
  • “I am the Good Shepherd” (John 10:11)
  • “I am the door” (John 10:9)
  • “I am the living bread” (John 6:51)
  • “I am the true vine” (John 15:1)
  • “I am the Alpha and Omega” Rev.1:7

Andrew
- That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day 2 tim 1.12

- For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me psalm 109,22