Jesus - Compassionate, or Angry?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Anger or compassion?

Hebrews 12:6-7 KJVS
[6] For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. [7] If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

S

Sirk

No, I'm not trolling here (I realize I frequent that pastime, but this is not one of those times).

I came across some literature that was expounding on Greek manuscripts v.s modern translation, and the interpretation from the manuscripts suggested that Jesus was perhaps more of a "powerful figure with a strong will and agenda of his own, a charismatic authority who didn't like to be disturbed." I'm not sure about that, but the book speaks of how the gospel of Mark makes mention of Jesus' anger/annoyance more than once, while Matthew and Luke - written after Mark (and using it for their own accounts) - in the same instances, refrain from any mention of it.

The first example given is Mark 1:41 - "Moved with compassion, Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, "I am willing; be cleansed." (NASB)

Most translations refer to Jesus feeling compassion or pity; the NIV uses the word "indignant."

Supposedly, the original translation was actually the word anger: "And becoming angry, reaching out his hand, he touched him and said, "I am willing, be clean." This is followed by Jesus rebuking, then casting out, the leper that asked for healing.

So I wanted to ask: How do you perceive Jesus? Compassionate, albeit authoritative? Indignant? Have you ever taken any instances involving his instruction or performing miracles as "angry?"
I think He was the perfect combination of self care and caring for others. He had to be. A real leader does what he asks of those who follow them. That meant having boundaries with people yet being approachable. He wasn't a people pleaser. His only purpose was to please God and sometimes pleasing God will be offensive to someone.

S

Siberian_Khatru

You are a good guy SK, I didn't mean to sound snippy or anything toward you. I felt snippy toward the NIV :)
Why thank you! I am, maybe at best, a "decent" guy. I believe you, and didn't think you meant to come across like that in any case.

I think He was the perfect combination of self care and caring for others. He had to be. A real leader does what he asks of those who follow them. That meant having boundaries with people yet being approachable. He wasn't a people pleaser. His only purpose was to please God and sometimes pleasing God will be offensive to someone.
The Sirk has spoken. :p Thanks for the input, bud.

Jun 30, 2011
Anger is not sin, it's actually meant for you to do righteousness and justice - so in that context yup

L

ladylynn

Jesus was not too harsh and not too easy going., He is perfect and to each situation just right as a man. Where as we would be harsh to cause fear and easy going to the point of being taken advantage of. Not so with Jesus. He is the perfect God man. Perfectly masculine. Wisdom personified in human flesh for them to look upon., Sincere to the very definition. What a man He must have been to know while here on earth. And to think we will see Him in His glorified human body., how amazing is that to think on?

S

Sirk

Anger is not sin, it's actually meant for you to do righteousness and justice - so in that context yup
Anger is a warning sign that a boundary has been crossed or that something hurt us emotionally....but God gave us a brain so as to decide what to do with it. The sad truth is that unlike Jesus did in the temple...we go limbic and act like the animals when we become angry....no control, no love, just selfish ambition and pride.

Last edited:

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Anger is a warning sign that a boundary has been crossed or that something hurt us emotionally....but God gave us a brain so as to decide what to do with it. The sad truth is that unlike Jesus did in the temple...we go limbic and act like the animals when we become angry....no control, no love, just selfish ambition and pride.
Sometimes the pain is so deep and debilitating, we are left so wounded and damaged with so little understanding of how we got that way, we can barely make sense of the world, and shut down in an attempt to protect ourself from incurring further such pain. I suppose that is a limbic response as well, since the limbic system concerns instinct, mood, and basic emotions. Some people do not react in anger, is what I am saying. They may need to learn how to get angry. Unexpressed anger turns into depression, or so I have been told... I doubt Jesus had any of those problems. :)

S

Sirk

Sometimes the pain is so deep and debilitating, we are left so wounded and damaged with so little understanding of how we got that way, we can barely make sense of the world, and shut down in an attempt to protect ourself from incurring further such pain. I suppose that is a limbic response as well, since the limbic system concerns instinct, mood, and basic emotions. Some people do not react in anger, is what I am saying. They may need to learn how to get angry. Unexpressed anger turns into depression, or so I have been told... I doubt Jesus had any of those problems. :)
Anger is a secondary emotion and is always preceded by pain. It also can be covert or overt. People are angry in different ways. By that I mean that some turn it inward and some go outward.....either way...anger is the easy part.....pain is the part that takes work to identify. The point is that unprocessed pain always leads to anger, anxiety and depression.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Anger is a secondary emotion and is always preceded by pain. It also can be covert or overt. People are angry in different ways. By that I mean that some turn it inward and some go outward.....either way...anger is the easy part.....pain is the part that takes work to identify. The point is that unprocessed pain always leads to anger, anxiety and depression.
I agree. Learning to establish healthy boundaries is pretty important for that reason. Maintaining them is another matter; they are not necessarily walls to keep people out, but the better we know our limits the less hurt we will inadvertently cause ourselves, and others by extension. Maybe it was because I was raised in a pretty big family that boundaries were a foreign concept to me until I was entering my fourth decade. It didn't help that I used drugs and alcohol to try to escape the pain of life for more than half of my life at that point. After a while, they stopped working, and I had to stop running. One thing I learned about myself was that I had been incredibly codependent to the point where I could not express anything if I thought it was going to offend you or hurt another person's feelings in any way. That amounted to not being able to tell the truth even if my life depended upon it, and I found out that my life did depend on it. Years later when I became a Christian, I learned that I had to take responsibility, in that I had caused much of that pain to myself by not living according to God's principles. The same God I had been running from most of my life, -at points attempting to redefine Him to make Him acceptable to me instead of redefining myself to be acceptable to Him- was the answer to all my problems. What a journey! Living without God in my life really was hellish...

S

Sirk

I agree. Learning to establish healthy boundaries is pretty important for that reason. Maintaining them is another matter; they are not necessarily walls to keep people out, but the better we know our limits the less hurt we will inadvertently cause ourselves, and others by extension. Maybe it was because I was raised in a pretty big family that boundaries were a foreign concept to me until I was entering my fourth decade. It didn't help that I used drugs and alcohol to try to escape the pain of life for more than half of my life at that point. After a while, they stopped working, and I had to stop running. One thing I learned about myself was that I had been incredibly codependent to the point where I could not express anything if I thought it was going to offend you or hurt another person's feelings in any way. That amounted to not being able to tell the truth even if my life depended upon it, and I found out that my life did depend on it. Years later when I became a Christian, I learned that I had to take responsibility, in that I had caused much of that pain to myself by not living according to God's principles. The same God I had been running from most of my life, -at points attempting to redefine Him to make Him acceptable to me instead of redefining myself to be acceptable to Him- was the answer to all my problems. What a journey! Living without God in my life really was hellish...
I took a class by Mindy Caliguire at Willow Creek. She has this website called soul care I believe. I think people miss the thing about Jesus where he was this perfect combination of self care and caring for others. It's funny because those doing those two things well are what make true joy. Self care being that vertical relationship with the living God and caring for others being that horizontal connection to another human being.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I took a class by Mindy Caliguire at Willow Creek. She has this website called soul care I believe. I think people miss the thing about Jesus where he was this perfect combination of self care and caring for others. It's funny because those doing those two things well are what make true joy. Self care being that vertical relationship with the living God and caring for others being that horizontal connection to another human being.
I like the image drawn of the cross with the vertical and horizontal care :D Sometimes it is such a chore to do those things required to look after ourselves well... well, as well as we can. The biggest room in the world is the one for improvement :) And our lives would be pretty empty without others. The more God gets pushed out of our day to day lies in the secular world, the more I wonder what our children's children's children will be dealing with. What kind of world will they be inhabiting? Probably every generation sees the world going down the tubes in so many different ways... and then the end will come! I don't mean to sound too dire about it. I find it interesting that scientists and the Bible agree on the ending being by fire. Do you know that Andromeda and the Milky Way are scheduled to collide in four billion years? I find it hilarious that any scientist thinks they know how that will go down. I wonder if it makes Jesus angry to hear the things scientists say about His creation? ;)

S

Sirk

I like the image drawn of the cross with the vertical and horizontal care :D Sometimes it is such a chore to do those things required to look after ourselves well... well, as well as we can. The biggest room in the world is the one for improvement :) And our lives would be pretty empty without others. The more God gets pushed out of our day to day lies in the secular world, the more I wonder what our children's children's children will be dealing with. What kind of world will they be inhabiting? Probably every generation sees the world going down the tubes in so many different ways... and then the end will come! I don't mean to sound too dire about it. I find it interesting that scientists and the Bible agree on the ending being by fire. Do you know that Andromeda and the Milky Way are scheduled to collide in four billion years? I find it hilarious that any scientist thinks they know how that will go down. I wonder if it makes Jesus angry to hear the things scientists say about His creation? ;)

I think He says....forgive them father for they know not what they do. :) There are many areas where I'm not there. Lol

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I think He says....forgive them father for they know not what they do. :) There are many areas where I'm not there. Lol
He also says "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." And, "Therefore once more I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder; the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish." "God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;” :)

One-Stepperfect theology.jpg

S

Sirk

He also says "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." And, "Therefore once more I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder; the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish." "God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;” :)

I'm pretty sure you and I know the same Jesus. :)

eternallife7

May 19, 2015
This is off subject, but it is something to consider. Scripture says that once we were lead by dumb idols. What if when that occurred we looked like Jehovha witnesses or even Muslims to the Christians that saw us then. I'm not condoning anything, but it is something for us to consider.

eternallife7

May 19, 2015
This is off subject, but it is something to consider. Scripture says that once we were lead by dumb idols. What if when that occurred we looked like Jehovha witnesses or even Muslims to the Christians that saw us then. I'm not condoning anything, but it is something for us to consider.
This comment isn't to be taken literal it is just a reminder to show compassion.

P

pottersclay

Jesus is meek....His yea is yea his no is no, he was not moved by human emotion as we know it for the heart is deceitful who can know it. In Jesus's actions we learn of the fathers feelings toward people and issues.
God is more interested in the intent rather than the sin, God is faithful and just to forgive our sins but even more eager to give us a new heart.

F

FreeNChrist

Jesus is meek....His yea is yea his no is no, he was not moved by human emotion as we know it for the heart is deceitful who can know it. In Jesus's actions we learn of the fathers feelings toward people and issues.
God is more interested in the intent rather than the sin, God is faithful and just to forgive our sins but even more eager to give us a new heart.

"When He approached Jerusalem, He saw the city and wept over it" (Luke 19:41)