Jesus Revolution ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Is this the hippie church movement?

I remember reading a memoir by Greg Laurie and then finding a Bible BY Greg Laurie or it had his name on the cover as if he wrote it.
Otherewise I hadnt seen the movie if it was more about Jesus and less about church politics it might have been interested me, but the post so far indicate its about a lot of egotistical men making names of themselves. So were no women part of it?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
He edited the Bible?

I thought you werent supoosed to do that...add or take away from scripture

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The other book I recall reading about his come to Jesus moment

His mother was a church goer but like a lot of youth in the US didnt really listen to God the young peoole were too busy listening to rock n roll bands and then getting high.

So the churches just started imitating the rock no roll bands and druggy happenings to welcome the hippies or wannabe hippies who went where their friends went cos their parents basically let them loose or had enough and kicked them out the home. They ended up in churches cos they was nowhere else to go and it offered free lodgings and food. Or they could have joined gangs right?

IMG_1578.JPG

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
I haven’t seen this movie but as far as the question in the OP regarding the young generation, @soberxp has given some good advice.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
since young people cant build real homes as they too young they try and build virtual homes in minecraft

There are Bibles that are made of lego, and ones that are of minecraft. I am sure all this brick making has got to come from somewhere...but young people seems quite obsessed with it.

The other way to reach young people is through graphic or manga Bibles. ALthough I actually find some comic books harder to read than normal books as the writing can be tiny.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
since young people cant build real homes as they too young they try and build virtual homes in minecraft

There are Bibles that are made of lego, and ones that are of minecraft. I am sure all this brick making has got to come from somewhere...but young people seems quite obsessed with it.

The other way to reach young people is through graphic or manga Bibles. ALthough I actually find some comic books harder to read than normal books as the writing can be tiny.
I forget the name of those small Christian comic books, they were very impressionable for me when I was a teenager.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Pastor Joe Focht came out of that era and environment and is a Calvary Chapel pastor in Philly. His congregation has a LOT of recovering addicts in it. I listen to his sermons on a regular basis. Like almost every day.

Some of the most grounded, doctrinally correct, detailed, accurate and loving, sincere preaching/teaching I have ever heard. Highest recommendation. A very down to earth guy with zero pretentions and no mind games or psychological trickery. Pre-trib premillennial and the goods to back that up BTW.

II Corinthians - Expositional by Joe Focht (blueletterbible.org)
The "secret formula" of the success of Joe Focht's ministry is quite simple:

1) he recognizes the gospel of Jesus Christ as true
2) he understands that the gospel of Jesus Christ means forgiveness of sins, acquittal in God's court, salvation and redemption
3) he has received his Savior with a whole heart
4) he rejoices in this priceless Gift and is full of joy
5) he has rightfully sanctified himself to a full commitment to the great commission
6) he fiercely guards the doctrine so revealed in the Scriptures
7) he faithfully labors in his stewardship knowing that God is just in rewarding his efforts

BTW, that particular Calvary Chapel happens to be located in Philadelphia. How entirely fitting.....:unsure:

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
So, I saw this movie yesterday.
I would say that as a movie it was okay and not as good as The Chosen. It is based on a true story. They had an opportunity to create a great movie here but they missed it … I think.

The movie talks about the greatest revival in American history which I wasn’t aware of and to me it’s a wonderful thing.
The movie has a great start but halfway through, it gets very confusing and disconnected while leaving a few things unresolved as it goes very fast paced from scene to scene making no sense sometimes.
The Lonnie character gets very confusing half way through and we don’t know why he is acting the way he does and why he leaves. The other character who is trying to find himself with a drunken mom and a father who left is also very confused towards the end of the movie and the scenes are very fast past in between takes so you’re left wondering what’s going on.

The great part was the main pastor who welcomed the hippies while other older (boomers) did not like that and left the church. The boomers confused Christianity with team sports basically and that was a great scene to watch knowing that this was based on a true story too.

Overall the movie was just okay and they missed a great opportunity here with this historical event to make a great movie.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
I would say that as a movie it was okay and not as good as The Chosen. It is based on a true story. They had an opportunity to create a great movie here but they missed it … I think.

The movie talks about the greatest revival in American history which I wasn’t aware of and to me it’s a wonderful thing.
The movie has a great start but halfway through, it gets very confusing and disconnected while leaving a few things unresolved as it goes very fast paced from scene to scene making no sense sometimes.
The Lonnie character gets very confusing half way through and we don’t know why he is acting the way he does and why he leaves. The other character who is trying to find himself with a drunken mom and a father who left is also very confused towards the end of the movie and the scenes are very fast past in between takes so you’re left wondering what’s going on.

The great part was the main pastor who welcomed the hippies while other older (boomers) did not like that and left the church. The boomers confused Christianity with team sports basically and that was a great scene to watch knowing that this was based on a true story too.

Overall the movie was just okay and they missed a great opportunity here with this historical event to make a great movie.
I have used events and stories in my life to share certain aspects of God’s love. I do so to encourage others and give hope to those struggling. I find that my stories only work when they are not forced, but flow naturally after a little push from the Holy Spirit. Having said that, I write daily as an exercise to be better prepared to explain things in various ways.

Movies seem to only be as good as the writing behind them. Good scripts, along with decent acting, make for better movies.

presidente

May 29, 2013

I read a lot of commentary from people online who were there or joined in the revival at some point along the time line or right after it. One may was upset because they presented the people of Calvary Chapel the way they did. They were very outreach oriented, he said. The people storming off because the Hippies came in was apparently the writer's idea, and was fiction. I think someone might have made a comment about the carpet getting stained, but so what?

The young Hippies were the Boomers in this film.

I didn't find the movie as confusing, but I know a little bit about Lonnie Frisbee and Greg Laurie, so maybe my mind filled in the gaps. The film was kind of all over the place and there were some things that were undeveloped about those two characters, but I enjoyed the film, depicting a youth revival. My wife said she cried during the whole film. I wasn't looking at it so much from an artistic perspective or whatever.

Lonnie was gone before the tent, I heard. The healing scene and the conflict about his wanting to get on stage were apparently fabrications, too. I have read that some people got healed through Lonnie Frisbee's ministry. He'd come from a really rough background as a child and struggled with some sin issues.