Jesus, the cause of division.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 25, 2020
Greetings!!

I have often read this passage from the Bible and have contemplated many times over it. And what I learned from this passage is that God brings every family to the test and puts every family no matter rich or poor or whatever their status in society is through trials. I'm not talking about the external trials. Those can be handled if a family is strong and united. I'm talking about the internal trials. This is the one that tears families apart. As a Christian, I understand that it is difficult to live a Christian life in every sense of the word. It's a lot more challenging that a normal life. But in most cases or at least in mine, the challenges I faced in life was more inside my home than outside. Outside the family, no problem. It's the world. You have to handle it. That is difficult too, I'm not saying that's easy. Inside, it's another matter entirely. And Jesus says He is the reason that, "two will be divided against three and three will be divided against two." It means a challenge within the Christian home and this is true. Even in my home, I've seen this. Although, I'm not able to comprehend why? Why it should be like this. I have always questioned what this passage means. To my understanding, I think it means that every creation of God should look to Him and love God above everyone and everything else. That includes family. Your thoughts on this subject is appreciated.

Below is the passage I'm talking about:

49 “I came to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 I have a baptism to receive, and how distressed I am until it is over! 51 Do you suppose that I came to bring peace to the world? No, not peace, but division. 52 From now on a family of five will be divided, three against two and two against three. 53 Fathers will be against their sons, and sons against their fathers; mothers will be against their daughters, and daughters against their mothers; mothers-in-law will be against their daughters-in-law, and daughters-in-law against their mothers-in-law.”

Luke Chapter 12 Verses 49 to 53.

Then again, here is an answer in the Bible:

34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the world. No, I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35I came to set sons against their fathers, daughters against their mothers, daughters-in-law against their mothers-in-law; 36your worst enemies will be the members of your own family.

37 “Those who love their father or mother more than me are not fit to be my disciples; those who love their son or daughter more than me are not fit to be my disciples. 38Those who do not take up their cross and follow in my steps are not fit to be my disciples. 39Those who try to gain their own life will lose it; but those who lose their life for my sake will gain it.
Rewards

40 “Whoever welcomes you welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41Whoever welcomes God's messenger because he is God's messenger, will share in his reward. And whoever welcomes a good man because he is good, will share in his reward. 42You can be sure that whoever gives even a drink of cold water to one of the least of these my followers because he is my follower, will certainly receive a reward.”

Matthew, Chapter 10: Verses 34 to 42

Your thoughts and interpretations are welcome. Thanks and God bless

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Primal cause is at the heart of meaning in man's life, and necessarily encompasses the question of whether or not God exists, for if He does (and not everyone believes He does), then surely He has a purpose and plan for our own existence. Since God does exist, and those who deny this do so by suppressing truth, it will naturally cause divisions between those with varying beliefs on the matter, and these divisions become even more pronounced when Jesus is introduced into the equation. Have you ever noticed that there are those who claim the name of being Christian, while at the same time denying the very words of Jesus? People like Oprah Winfrey, who have huge followings, say things like, Jesus is not the only way to the Father, when Jesus said He was the only way. So how one conceives of God is very important, because if one removes the centrality of Jesus, they have missed the mark entirely.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Primal cause is at the heart of meaning in man's life, and necessarily encompasses the question of whether or not God exists, for if He does (and not everyone believes He does), then surely He has a purpose and plan for our own existence. Since God does exist, and those who deny this do so by suppressing truth, it will naturally cause divisions between those with varying beliefs on the matter, and these divisions become even more pronounced when Jesus is introduced into the equation. Have you ever noticed that there are those who claim the name of being Christian, while at the same time denying the very words of Jesus? People like Oprah Winfrey, who have huge followings, say things like, Jesus is not the only way to the Father, when Jesus said He was the only way. So how one conceives of God is very important, because if one removes the centrality of Jesus, they have missed the mark entirely.
In the case of Oprah and many others. I believe the term is pantheism. People are resistant to give up their other god's (with a small 'g'.) and embrace the Lord God capital 'G' (pronoun) So they either play mind games with themselves and or make excuses subconsciously (which is denial in psychological terminology) for example, and also due to poor incomplete teaching. "If I believe in my heart and confess that Jesus is Lord then I'm saved. Once saved always saved? Ok, Jesus is Lord," Then since, "everything is OK now," they think. They go consult their astrology chart, tarot cards and Ouija boards. Light a candle and put a magic crystal on the nightstand before bed. They don't know what Lord means and just how offensive those things are to God, I could keep going but I know some of you, who have seen the light, intrinsically understand what I'm talking about. So I'll let it go for now.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Greetings!!

I have often read this passage from the Bible and have contemplated many times over it. And what I learned from this passage is that God brings every family to the test and puts every family no matter rich or poor or whatever their status in society is through trials. I'm not talking about the external trials. Those can be handled if a family is strong and united. I'm talking about the internal trials. This is the one that tears families apart. As a Christian, I understand that it is difficult to live a Christian life in every sense of the word. It's a lot more challenging that a normal life. But in most cases or at least in mine, the challenges I faced in life was more inside my home than outside. Outside the family, no problem. It's the world. You have to handle it. That is difficult too, I'm not saying that's easy. Inside, it's another matter entirely. And Jesus says He is the reason that, "two will be divided against three and three will be divided against two." It means a challenge within the Christian home and this is true. Even in my home, I've seen this. Although, I'm not able to comprehend why? Why it should be like this. I have always questioned what this passage means. To my understanding, I think it means that every creation of God should look to Him and love God above everyone and everything else. That includes family. Your thoughts on this subject is appreciated.

Your thoughts and interpretations are welcome. Thanks and God bless
Yes I think I do. What written and posted is half right not as in wrong but incomplete. Scripture says that we are baptized in fire and water. Fire refines us and water represents the Holy Spirit. The Egyptians invented or discovered steel. It took charcoal, Iron, fire and beating while red hot to homogenize the coal and iron. Also the heat and beating compresses the steel to make it strong. Then it is quenched in water, till it's tough and hard enough to cut the iron which is the original base. If it is done right it will be flexible enough to spring back if flexed or bent. It will be very useful. If it is done wrong it will snap like a hard pretzel stick. The object is to be tough enough to endure, hard enough to cut like a knife and flexible enough to spring back when tested. If it fails the iron worker can do it all over again till it's right.

We are also likened to be like gold which was tested and refined in those days by melting it. The impurities rise to the surface and are removed by the Gold Smith. It becomes pure. Jesus is the Iron Worker and Goldsmith we were the basic materials. we become the work of his hands. He takes soft brittle materials (the old us) and makes sharp, tough, hard and flexible enough to be used as he desires. Thus we become; "the work of his (skilled) hands." That's in the Bible too.

That's how I see it. I'm an experienced mechanic and welder and that's a process that I understand.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
There's not much to interpret, at least for me, as it happened to me exactly how Jesus said it would. My father was totally against me coming to Jesus, which at first threw me off guard as he and the rest of my family consider themselves catholic. Even years later he told me he would never come to terms with it.
At first I was quite discouraged and sad as a child who lives their parents wants their affirmation and acceptance. Over time its been a journey, first encouraging that Jesus said what would happen had come true and that I'm worthy to suffer shame for His name. Our relationship is better now, he's getting older and mellowing out and I think he's learning to accept his children's choices. I don't think my hidden attitude has been the best over the years either. God has shown me that I want my father to change just as much as he wants me to except I haven't been vocal about it, it just my feelings about him but I'm learning to love him how he is and whether he accepts me following Jesus or not, that is my duty, that is what I can control, that is what I am responsible for. Same goes for anyone I encounter in my life.