Job

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 24, 2010
I really need some perspectives on this one because the story of Job is one I've always struggled with. I know it's supposed to be one of the most uplifting and encouraging stories of the Bible, but it's pretty much the one that made me start questioning my faith.

The story opens with God praising Job and saying what a faithful servant he is, and Satan says he's sure if he does enough to him that eventually Job will turn against him. So God lets Satan have his way with Job, limiting him at first from touching Job himself, then eventually limiting him from killing Job but allowing him to get sick at least. In the end, Job has a moment where he starts to demand an explanation from God, but God tells him basically, "Who are you to question me? Where were you when I created the world?" and so on. In the end Job stays faithful, and God restores his health, and gives him back even more than what he lost.

Here's where I struggle with this story. Job lost family during all this, and family can never be replaced. I doubt Job ever got over the heartbreak of losing his own children. Also why did God have to prove anything to Satan? Satan already knew where he stood, I mean he even had to ask God before he could do anything. Why did God go ahead with all of it when Satan already knew where he stood so there was no point to prove, and why is this an uplifting story? It's a story that's always bothered me, and I really want to know what other people have to say about it because there's clearly something I'm missing here I guess.

Jul 13, 2009
Maybe God let this happen to Job in order to handle our generation the story of Job. He wanted to show us how powerful He is and how He can restore anything the devil can change in us.
And about Job's family, I feel it was somehow a test like the one Abraham had to go through. I see it as a commitment we must have, which is putting the Lord unconditionally first before anything, including our family.