JOEL OSTEEN FACEBOOK POST REVEALS HORRIFIC LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF SCRIPTURE

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Atwood

May 1, 2014

Correct!

Leave that man alone.... why? Paul already predicted this kind of wisdom from men. Because of Man's foolishness... the truth all the more stands out! Bring it ON!

1 Corinthians 1:18-25New International Version (NIV)

Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”[a]

20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

And about pointing fingers...DON'T! Only if we know we are doing the same thing. I'm not righteous enough to rebuke or point finger to this man because...

JUDE 1:9
New Living Translation
But even Michael, one of the mightiest of the angels, did not dare accuse the devil of blasphemy, but simply said, "The Lord rebuke you!" (This took place when Michael was arguing with the devil about Moses' body.)

And for him having many followers...

Matthew 7:13 English Standard Version
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.

So easy to love and encourage people, but not so easy to sacrifice out of love.
I have no idea what country you are from, as I don't recognize the flag. But this place must be the most international site I have ever been to as a Christian. It is marvelous how you have brothers & sisters all over the world in so many different countries -- and we recognize each other.

Now this you posted is worthy of saying several times a day:

Christ crucified: . . . , Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
With regards to the "Title" of this OP: ........uh, and you were surprised?..........

S

Sirk

He's admitted to not knowing the bible that well. He is more motivational speaker than pastor but I still glean some good ways to "be transformed by the renewing of my mind" from some of his sermons.

Born_Again

Nov 15, 2014
He has a nice smile, a calm and gentle presence. In other words,smooth and oily.

I just wish he wold read the Bible, and learn what he gospel is really about. He has a lot of influence and so many could be really won to Christ through his ministry.

I am going to pray for him and his wife Victoria, that God helps them repent of his heresy of the Health and Wealth gospel, and that they will turn to serving God, not money and health.
Isn't that how the devil would present himself? Not as evil but well dressed? I don't think he's evil, that's just what I thought of when I read your description of him.

M

Mitspa

I heard that Joel Osteen eats crackers in bed... :( Clearly he is a false teacher !

V

Viligant_Warrior

All I could see happening is people trying to justify their annoyance and jealousy because he is attracting followers and gaining influence…
Given that he doesn't teach the truth, as evidenced not only by this misguided Facebook post and countless other such faux pas, it isn't just "annoyance and jealousy." It is an insistence that our messengers know Scripture before opening their mouths, and obviously he does not.

Not quoting scriptures and being nice is not an attribute of a false prophet…
Perhaps "not quoting Scriptures" would not necessarily be indicative of a false prophet, but not being able to quote or summarize them accurately certainly is indicative of false teaching.

... to say the least, the ones who appears overly spiritual are the one who could be hiding something…
That's, pardon the word, "absurd," if you believe being "overtly spiritual" is someone who can actually quote the Bible.

... when someone openly tells you he has received no theology training and humbly delivers what he believes of his understanding of the Bible, don't you understand that he is not claiming to be a prophet? or a teacher?
Actually, by purchasing an old basketball arena and calling it a church, standing up front and preaching, calling himself "pastor" ... well, that would indicate he is, indeed, claiming to be a prophet and teacher. The Greek word prophetes means "as interpreter" -- that is, one who interprets and expounds upon the known Scriptures. Osteen fails.

He just loves to encourages people and that's a ministry too.
It is a ministry, but "encouragement" is not preaching or teaching, and that's what Osteen claims to do.

Last edited:
M

Mitspa

We have religious leaders all over the world who do all sorts of evil and practice all sorts of false teachings...yet poor ole Joel gets beat up more than anyone for basically telling people about the goodness of God and being successful while he does it.

P

passinthru

There are lies and there are truths. Some are intentional and some are by lack of knowledge or false teaching. The enemy can only deceive when a lie is mixed with a truth. yes, this makes it all a lie but it may not be recognized as such. Many here have doctrinal differences. That is obvious. However if one has accepted Christ and is open to the leading of the Holy Spirit in time it is very possible that deception or wrong beliefs will come to be realized. If not in this lifetime here on earth then on the other side when we will know as we are known.
I feel Joel Osteen is an encourager. If he teaches Christ and Him crucified then so be it.
What do we say then? Pray for those who are sitting under the council of the ones that we feel do not believe as we do? Or pray that we all can come to a place where we realize that God's word will prevail in our lives as we lean less and less unto our own understanding? I think the latter is preferable if we desire that God's truth prevails in our lives.
Yeah...throw a stone now and then. Not that big of a deal. But lets pray that those who we feel may have good intentions ,even though their doctrinal differences do not agree with ours, will com eto a new knowledge of the way the truth and the life....while we remain teachable as well.

T

Thailand_Paul

On national TV he said that Jesus wasn't the only way to salvation. If that isn't being a false teacher then I don't know what is.

The prosperity crowd always throw out the "You're just jealous!" accusation any time one of these prosperity ministers are criticized. It's like they can't understand that there's more important things than money and worldly power. The Bible says that those who teach will be judged more harshly.
Amen, Amen, AMEN!
History has shown time and again that these "mega-church" leaders corrupt the gospel for their own ends.
We are to live a humble life are we not?
Oh yes! I can see how honoring God humbly can be done from the seat of a Lamborghini or a 20 room mansion in the Hampdens. not!
Snake oil salesmen could learn a thing or two from these guys.

M

Mitspa

Amen, Amen, AMEN!
History has shown time and again that these "mega-church" leaders corrupt the gospel for their own ends.
We are to live a humble life are we not?
Oh yes! I can see how honoring God humbly can be done from the seat of a Lamborghini or a 20 room mansion in the Hampdens. not!
Snake oil salesmen could learn a thing or two from these guys.
So its it your position that all TV preachers are teaching false doctrine? Because no one can really get on TV unless they have a large congregation to support that cost?