John 4:31-38

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
read John 4:31-38 these are my thoughts on that scripture

31-32 What God has for us is more important tjan our basic needs. It is not a sin to eat but like anything if we put it before God then it becomes sin. Jesus here had something He needed to do before He ate food.
33 The disciples knew that He would have been hungery because He sent them to get food for them to eat.
34 Our will should be to put His will first. Jesus shows serving God and winning people to salvation is more important than a meal. If we the church were this focused on what we are to do we would not have the world values creep into the church.
35-36 If someone knows not Christ they need to hear it, and if someone refuses Christ they need prayer. As long as their are lost people the church has a goal.
37-38 Thru our service to God we see how the Spirit moves people and we know how the Spirit has moved us and without the Spirit and God's Word guiding us we are not doing it they way the Lord attended us to do. Some share the gospel, others teach the gospel, others lead people to the gospel. Leading people to the Lord is like the harvest, the Spirit will tell us when we go if it is time to plant the gospel, water it, or time to win people to the Lord. Some people it may not take much time to win them to the Lord but others it may. Those who we win easly we need to spend time teching them scripture.

M

MarkayMrk777

Mahatma Gandhi, the famous nonviolent campaigner for India's independence, survived 21 days
of total starvation while only allowing himself sips of water.

While the disciples were eating at McDonalds... Jesus was preaching to the woman at the well, and
because of her reached all the people in her town.

Dec 21, 2012
read John 4:31-38 these are my thoughts on that scripture

31-32 What God has for us is more important tjan our basic needs. It is not a sin to eat but like anything if we put it before God then it becomes sin. Jesus here had something He needed to do before He ate food.
33 The disciples knew that He would have been hungery because He sent them to get food for them to eat.
34 Our will should be to put His will first. Jesus shows serving God and winning people to salvation is more important than a meal. If we the church were this focused on what we are to do we would not have the world values creep into the church.
35-36 If someone knows not Christ they need to hear it, and if someone refuses Christ they need prayer. As long as their are lost people the church has a goal.
37-38 Thru our service to God we see how the Spirit moves people and we know how the Spirit has moved us and without the Spirit and God's Word guiding us we are not doing it they way the Lord attended us to do. Some share the gospel, others teach the gospel, others lead people to the gospel. Leading people to the Lord is like the harvest, the Spirit will tell us when we go if it is time to plant the gospel, water it, or time to win people to the Lord. Some people it may not take much time to win them to the Lord but others it may. Those who we win easly we need to spend time teching them scripture.
John 4:31 In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat. 32 But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. 33 Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat? 34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work. 35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. 36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together. 37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth. 38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours. 39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.

Jesus was testifying to the Father's will of what He was to be doing at that time. The result at that time was verse 39.

I do not believe Jesus was teaching that we are to sacrifice not eating when serving Him in teaching others. I believe He was referring to being in the middle of something of which He would rather not take a break from to eat so that others may believe as the Samaritans was the harvest field.

It is true that churches today has placed other priorities before God's will of preaching to the lost & teaching believers on how to be His disciples as it conforms to their level of luxury of time and service that the church & her members are willing to share. Anything outside of that routine, they are uncomfortable with. That is a problem.

It is no wonder why many are falling away from the faith in these latter days when churches fail to root the believers in His words to bear fruit as His disciples in a world where lies & temptations come at them at any moment of the day at every day of the week, including Sunday.

Symbolically in regards to having a meal, what you are saying about priorities is true, but literally, Jesus was referring to being in the middle of something for which doing God's will took precedent than taking time out in eating.

In application of what you are sharing, churches and believers that make up that church, should look for opportunities as led by Him to serve Him rather than be afraid to step out there because it might take too much away of their personal time or miss a meal in doing so.

I need His help to do His will which I am trusting Him as my Good Shepherd in directing my footsteps to do, because I need His help to walk away from those that do not hear me at all as He commands.