John 5:16-30

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
[h=3]John 5:16-30[/h]New International Version - UK (NIVUK)

[h=3]The authority of the Son[/h][SUP]16 [/SUP]So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. [SUP]17 [/SUP]In his defence Jesus said to them, ‘My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.’ [SUP]18 [/SUP]For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.
[SUP]19 [/SUP]Jesus gave them this answer: ‘Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. [SUP]20 [/SUP]For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed. [SUP]21 [/SUP]For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it. [SUP]22 [/SUP]Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, [SUP]23 [/SUP]that all may honour the Son just as they honour the Father. Whoever does not honour the Son does not honour the Father, who sent him.
[SUP]24 [/SUP]‘Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. [SUP]25 [/SUP]Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. [SUP]26 [/SUP]For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. [SUP]27 [/SUP]And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.
[SUP]28 [/SUP]‘Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice
[SUP]29 [/SUP]and come out – those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. [SUP]30 [/SUP]By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

these are my thoughts please share yours
16 The Pharisees were a group who thought the way they read the law was the only right way. They were very scrict.
17 The Pharisees may have not got past Him calling God His father but if they did they would be upset because the way they God rested every sabath and so should they.
18 Jews are not as scrict about this now as Muslims are. Muslims hate christians because of this you can think about how much Muslims hate christians today and that is how much Jews hated Chrisians then. Christ was the frist hated by the Jews.
19-20 Because the Father loves the Son the Son can not do anything without the Father's permission. Today we are to try to live this way by being in God's will as believers.
21-23 We will be raised from death by the Father one day and be judged by the Son. Jesus has shone them that He has the power to raise people from death yet they did not believe God did this. If one is to reject the Gospel of Jesus Christ one rejects the Father. This says that without Christ our worship of God is meaningless in a way.
24-27 All that is needed for eternal life is accept the Word. The Word has power and hearing the word can change lives. The Son is as much God as the Father and because of this both have authority and the Father gave His authority over men to Jesus because He died for all men and those accept Him will not be judged but have enterna life however those who reject Him are without hope and cast into outer darkness where there is no good. 28 -30 We are to let Christ be the judge because that is what the Father wanted. There is coming a time we will be judged will you be ready when that time comes?

Feb 24, 2013
or this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

The pharisees wanted Jesus out of the way. He was embarrassing then. They would try to twist his words to say Jesus was claiming to be God. Jesus had to make himself clear this was not the case or he would have been fried.

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 20:17 Jesus said "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.' "

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 8:28 Jesus said "I do nothing of myself"? Can't GOD do anything he wills?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 14:28 Jesus said "My Father (GOD) is greater than I"?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in Luke 23:46 Jesus said "Father (GOD), into thy hands I commend my spirit"?
If Jesus was GOD, then why in Mark 10:18 Jesus said “And Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.”?

Also in Luke 18:19 Jesus said only GOD Almighty is Good: ""Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone."