John 7:37-39

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
[h=3]John 7:37-44[/h]New International Version - UK (NIVUK)

[SUP]37 [/SUP]On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. [SUP]38 [/SUP]Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.’[SUP][a][/SUP] [SUP]39 [/SUP]By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

New International Version - UK (NIVUK)
Holy Bible, New International Version® Anglicized, NIV® Copyright © 1979, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

These are my thoughts please share yours.

37 On the greatest day of the feast this would mean they day most people would be there would have been the last day. Giving something to drink is a sign of being a servant. Jesus spoke so hear could be heard by the numbers of people.

38 Whoever believes in Christ as scripture says, in a day where people have bending scripture to make people happy, our belief in the truth of scripture is given by God and imparted as part of His perfect plan. Water is a source for life and is one of those most important things for survivial.

39 The Spirit is to flow out of us. If someone saw someone who had water flowing out of them they would notice and maybe even ask them about it, this is the way it should be when we are given the Holy Spirit, people should see and want to ask. Those who believe receive the Spirit. Up until Penticost John the baptist was the only one to have the Spirit in him. Jesus is the Spirit as flesh. Many people of those days may have been moved by the Spirit but none at this time had the Holy Spirit in them.

May 15, 2013
The water is symbolic for revitalization that God gives. The physical water that we drink revitalize us temporary, but the living water fill in the blanks and it is eternal.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I can't help but think of this passage...

Galatians 3:1-2 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Oh how integrally the giving of the Spirit is tied in with faith in Jesus Christ and Him crucified!

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Include the Lord's words in John 4:14 with this passage.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
The Holy Spirit is indeed like water that flows thru us to sate the thirst of others. And you are baptized in the Spirit upon salvation. But often we are dammed up by self and the world. I think what most people see as a later baptism in the Spirit, is actually our first effort at breaking the dam and letting the waters that are already in us flow.

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
The water is symbolic for revitalization that God gives. The physical water that we drink revitalize us temporary, but the living water fill in the blanks and it is eternal.
This why John baptised for revitlization and to make people ready for Christ.

john832

May 31, 2013
This is the Last Great Day, the Feast Day that pictures the Great White Throne Judgment.

Oct 31, 2011
John 7:37-44

[SUP]37 [/SUP]On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. [SUP]38 [/SUP]Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.’[SUP][a][/SUP] [SUP]39 [/SUP]By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Holy Bible, New International Version® Anglicized, NIV® Copyright © 1979, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

37 On the greatest day of the feast this would mean they day most people would be there would have been the last day. Giving something to drink is a sign of being a servant. Jesus spoke so hear could be heard by the numbers of people.

38 Whoever believes in Christ as scripture says, in a day where people have bending scripture to make people happy, our belief in the truth of scripture is given by God and imparted as part of His perfect plan. Water is a source for life and is one of those most important things for survivial.

39 The Spirit is to flow out of us. If someone saw someone who had water flowing out of them they would notice and maybe even ask them about it, this is the way it should be when we are given the Holy Spirit, people should see and want to ask. Those who believe receive the Spirit. Up until Penticost John the baptist was the only one to have the Spirit in him. Jesus is the Spirit as flesh. Many people of those days may have been moved by the Spirit but none at this time had the Holy Spirit in them.
The spirit of God is mentioned many times in the OT. I am copying just two verses. Yet we are told in Acts about many receiving the Holy Spirit. I had thought it meant the Holy Spirit was more freely given after Christ was resurrected, but in OT times the prophets and certain people received the Holy Spirit. It was called the Spirit of God, then.

Would all you wonderful posters with your language skills see if the original words mean the same?
(Exo 35:31)
And he hath filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship;

(Jdg 3:10)
And the Spirit of the LORD came upon him, and he judged Israel, and went out to war: and the LORD delivered Chushanrishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand; and his hand prevailed against Chushanrishathaim.

T

TruthTalk

John 7:37-44

37On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink.

When Jesus went to this festival of booths he went there, "not publicly, but in secret." Jn7:10 because he new the Jewish leaders wanted to have him arrested and killed. "Now at the festival the Jewish leaders were watching for Jesus and asking, "Where is he?" Jn7:10 I agree with you Clark that Jesus went on the "greatest day" so that the most people would be there to hear and respond to his message and be saved. Jesus stood up, likely with his head above the crowd, and said in a loud voice, "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink." This passage of scripture is describing an alter call to turn to God and be saved by the Messiah Himself - beautiful words.

"Wisdom calls out in the street; she raises her voice in the public squares." proverbs1:20

38Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”

His message remains the same to our generation because it is open to, "whoever believes in me." and Jesus uses our physical need like thirsting and an important everyday occurrence like drinking to teach us a spiritual truth, that Jesus is the fountain from where living waters will flow from within us--the Word of Life.

39By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Jesus said he would not leave us alone and this promise was fulfilled on the day of pentecost, Acts2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit." - John3:34, "for He gives the Spirit without measure." When Jesus began his public ministry the Holy Spirit descended upon him as a dove, when he was tested in the wilderness he was filled and lead by the Holy Spirit and now Christian receive the Holy Spirit when we are baptized into the Body of Christ.

God bless!