just wondering

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 21, 2011
Not because my church views it but because I view it. Santa easter bunny tooth fairy are things we dont do in my house and seem to get flack from people. I do holloween but shes always dressed up as something that is real. I just feel its lying to a child. idk.

O

OceanGrl

Hmm, I can understand both sides of this. On one hand, it can be considered lying to your children, on the other, it can be used to ignite the imagination of children and create special childhood memories. Personally, I grew up believing in Santa Clause, Tooth Fairy, etc as a child. I look back fondly on those memories as a kid and it makes my childhood seem more magical because of it. On the flip side, I was also told the true meanings behind the holidays we celebrated and understood that the true meaning was more important than the fun stories of Santa or the Easter Bunny.

Overall, I think every parent needs to follow what they feel should be taught to their children. I think a person can teach their children about these fictional stories, but also teach them the true stories of why we celebrate Christmas, Easter, etc.

U

Ugly

This is the problem. There is such a thing as 'personal conviction', such as Paul referring to some people thinking its ok to eat meat, while others think its a sin. Neither is wrong, the only one that is wrong is the one that acts in a manner opposite their beliefs. But people always think their personal conviction is right, and nothing else can be considered. So they have to attack anyone who may have a different feeling.
If you feel its not right, don't do it. Otherwise you risk being in sin. Don't let self righteous people who think their way is the only way drag you into going against your convictions.

I'm kind of in the middle on the topic. I think those who are against it often take it too far. But i can understand the concept. I would likely not teach my kids (which i probably will never have) about these things, but at the same time i'm not going to panic or go into a rage because these things are in existence. Or think because my child walks by a Christmas tree with a Santa on it in the store she's going to end up a pagan tree worshiper when she gets older.

H

hattiebod

Not because my church views it but because I view it. Santa easter bunny tooth fairy are things we dont do in my house and seem to get flack from people. I do holloween but shes always dressed up as something that is real. I just feel its lying to a child. idk.
Interesting... You say you are against having santa, tooth fairy etc in your home, quite benign, all would be considered false as you say but then they do have their focus on fun & 'good'. Halloween is a very dark story altogether!! and you partake in halloween? wether your child is dressed as a real or fantasy figure for me is not relevant. Its the actual event. Halloween is the 'night of the dead'. Viewed by many as the night the dead can pop up & walk on the earth. Complete rubbish of course but non the less it is the occults biggest night of celebration, so as a Christian it is most definitely a 'celebration' I and my family have nothing to do with. When asked why, I explain what its all about, where it all came from. Its huge in the states and sadly getting bigger and bigger as a secular celebration in Europe now. Some say its just fun. But for me, its not something I want or need to be part of. <><