Keeping a Christian life while working in a non-christian environment

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
Last night during drinks after a meal.the noise and jokes got too much. Especially guys who start to think they are stronger for swearing and making sexist jokes. I sat with the ladies who were less crass but start to lower the tone.
Felt so alone in the busy restaurant. Best part of the evening was walking home.
I hurt from the tragedy of modern educated rich folks folly.
Do you folks struggle too?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
it is probably the alcohol

I noticed when teachers get together they can get really drunk if theres alcohol available. Since there are no children around on their nights off they believe they can really go to town.

But mostly they are all sober at school. You just have to forget that you saw them legless and drunk.

Oct 10, 2021
I'm a young adult working in a non-christian environment, with a lot of non-Christian co-workers and superiors. I like my job, it's amazing, but at the same time, I feel like I tend to be subdued to the majority of the culture. What's your advice to keep a healthy Christian life in this situation? I don't want to leave my job, I need it to live, but I want to be loyal to christ. What is your advice? Thank you in advance!
Be a leader and not a follower. You can still complete your job duties by not following your non Christian co workers. You do know right from wrong. Right? Don't let others lead you down a road of destruction because of there beliefs.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
hmm but if she has a non-christian SUPERIOR she cant usurp their leadership that's the difficulty

Oct 5, 2021
I’ve been there before but it’s really challenging!! However, if your work doesn’t respect Christian values, you need to find another job but if it’s the opposite and your spirit is comfortable with it,then you can continue with the job letting your light to shine to them all for our lights shine brighter in darkness!!

nteh

Jul 16, 2023
I'm a young adult working in a non-christian environment, with a lot of non-Christian co-workers and superiors. I like my job, it's amazing, but at the same time, I feel like I tend to be subdued to the majority of the culture. What's your advice to keep a healthy Christian life in this situation? I don't want to leave my job, I need it to live, but I want to be loyal to christ. What is your advice? Thank you in advance!
Pray to God to make new job immediately so that you leave that work.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Pray to God to make new job immediately so that you leave that work.
You're a few years late for that. The OP has long since moved on.

JesusFreak1992

Queen of Hearts
Apr 26, 2022
Kansas City
so I work at Walmart and have the same experience with non-Christian con workers. I have been lucky to have found my boyfriend at work and he is also a Christian. We talk about the things ppl do that bother us bc it’s wrong. Christ wants us to be around non-believers to share the message. Be a role model to these people. Let them see Christ in you!

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
You're a few years late for that. The OP has long since moved on.
I am noticing a lot of resurrected threads throughout the forums. I do not know why people are digging so deep to find them. I mean, if it is a topic of interest to you, then why not just start a new thread instead of digging so deep for an old one? Since being here, I have only ventured as far as the second page on any forum to see if there were any topics of interest to me.

Having said that, it is a good topic, and it is a situation that I am presently struggling with or at myself. I have always witnessed Christ to others at my jobs, in an evangelistic sort of way, but this job is an exception. Nowadays, some companies even show you videos at orientation in which they basically inform you that you can be or will be fired for any sort of proselytizing. I know that we can witness with our lifestyles as well, but, unfortunately, I have not done a very good job of that a lot of times. I am getting better, but I still find myself speaking or behaving in manners which definitely are not Christlike, so I definitely need to continue working on myself in that regard. As tempting as it is to just leave such a job, I believe that God is using it as sort of a refiner's fire to show me some things about myself that need dealing with. Hopefully, I will eventually come out of the fire more pure than I was when I first entered it.

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
Btw, even if I was so Christlike that my shadow was healing my co-workers as I walked past them, then I would still hate my job; except for the healing part.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Btw, even if I was so Christlike that my shadow was healing my co-workers as I walked past them, then I would still hate my job; except for the healing part.
I'm not sure Peter really LIKED commercial fishing either. =^.^=

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
A meaningless one, in the light of eternity, and that is why I hate it.

View attachment 253929
It pays the bills. Like Bill the bookie and Bill the lawyer. ;)

If it supports your life and it's something you can do in good conscience, that's a decent job. If you're not making kegs for aging whiskey and you're not a telemarketer, you're doing pretty good.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
by course, pray the salvation of the unsaved. always go to work thanking God for your job everyday, smile about it always, show them that thru your actions, "goodness" always prevails. actions can certainly teach. mention Jesus subtlety with cheer. if they see you reading Bible literature on lunch for example & they say, "what are you reading"? say, "i just read this about Jesus & say that it's amazing. be dramatic with it as if it's the biggest news they ever heard. show it with great gesticulation & with a smile!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have had a hard time working in an secular companies/workplaces but those are the only jobs available
in church they dont give you any jobs that are paid and the only assistance given to unenmployed is being told to go to work and income.

This is really hard on younger people. Older baby boomers dont seem to care as they will be retired. I am not sure what I think about this, as not everyone will marry either, so they often tell girls to snare a man and fall pregnant then collect the benefit as if you dont declare who the father is you maybe entitled to benefits. Though nowadays there is free childcare, so mothers are encouraged to work to build the economy and leave their babies with strangers if they dont have grandparents or nannies

The only christians jobs I ever. see advertised are ones that are fundraisers. So basically begging other people for money, They are always vacant cos nobody really wants to do that.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If you are already wealthy and have seed money you dont need to slave for someone else you can be your own boss, but running your own business requires a lot of investments and everyone dislikes the christian hustler who goes around the marketplace advertising their wares. They are as trusted as televangelist and CEO pastors who run church like a business