Kids,Harry Potter and telling them the truth behind witchcraft

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveScotland

The Schools are out at the minute and kids have nothing to do, however the officer at our Church has decided we will have two kids Bible classes per week instead of the usual one. so my weekly plan has gone out of the window and i have to think of a few extra classes.as this is the release week of Harry potter i think its important to explain the difference between fiction and reality. explain how magic in the movie is fiction . and in fact real magic and witchcraft is Satanic and extremely dangerous. as this is a bit more serious than usual I am at a loss. and was wondering if people here had any ideas on how to aproach this subject.

Thanks in advance
Dave

May 4, 2009
Thank you, for being one of the reasonable people when it comes to this type of thing. I'm not much of a harry potter fan myself, but I really don't see the danger in it as long as people it's just fiction, and they know that ALL real magic is dangerous.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2009
Saying 'all real magic is dangerous' is like saying that 'all real giant robots are dangerous'. In theory, you're correct, but Giant Robots and Fantasy Magic are fictional concepts.

The words 'Witch' and 'Witchcraft' as translated in the OT referred specifically to evil spoken spells used to harm others, and to those who used them. Many other things were forbidden, primarily certain occultic methods of divining the future, snake charming, and using the tying of knots to cast magic. Other methods of divining the future weren't forbidden and actually practiced by followers of God. The ancient Hebrew world did not have the conception we have of a dark, hidden, and all-evil occult, and some of the methods they would have used of divining God's will would seem occultic to us today. This isn't to say we should engage in these practices, but that we need to keep the cultural context in mind when we teach kids to avoid witchcraft so we don't end up proving ourselves foolish.

The magic of Harry Potter is a purely fantastical construction of the author's imagination, and most kids understand this. Rather than blaming the author for 'corrupting' the few kids who don't, what we should do is figure out why these kids have a poor grasp on reality and remedy that situation.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2009
Yes it is important to explane to children that witchcraft is wrong. Harry Potter got dark stuff in and all people should becareful for Harry Potter and as Christians parents should warn children to stay away from Harry Potter. If any people dit'nt know why I believe Harry Potter is wrong they should read 'n book of Steve Wohlberg named The Hour of the witch. It is a Christian book and show exactly why Harry Potter is wrong. I agree with you that the Bible clearly tells us to have nothing to do with witchcraft and as a Christian I would like to warn people to stay away from Harry Potter via this.

Jul 6, 2009
Etiennemarais, do you even bother reading what other posters say? The Bible forbids certain occult practices, but those have nothing to do with the non-existent kinds of magic you find in fantasy stories.

Jun 16, 2009
I read what the others say but I still believe that the Bible tells us to have nothing to do with witchcraft and still believe Harry Potter is wrong. I just want to show out some facts why Harry is evil. Harry's parents died in the fight against the evil Lord Voldemort. He went to stay with his uncle and his tante and he called them real muggles. This is why I beliefe Harry is evil and why we must stay away from Harry Potter. If the Bible clearly tells us to have nothing to do with witchcraft why do parents allow children to read books with witchcraft like Harry Potter. It is evil and it is wrong in God's eyes.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Many things are not evil in and of themselves. Harry Potter is a fictional character played by an actor.. doing fake spells and other stuff. Same applies to the other actors in the movie.

So in itself.. the movie isn't really real evil.. just fiction and stories presented in a film media by actors.

It becomes something that leads to evil practices when it is taken and actually applied as if it is real.. for example.. kid's wanting to actually learn how to do the spells from the movie and reading up on occult practices.. or even adults doing this.

But others, like me, just sit and watch the Harry Potter movies like fictional stories with good acting, solid effects and good plots. We can forget all the witchcraft stuff.. just dismiss it.. and see it like a gun battle or sports.

Also.. all of the Harry Potter movies.. children aren't even the target audience. Teens are.. I would never take a kid under 12 to a Harry Potter movie. And I think the last Harry Potter movie will be something of a 15+ target audience.

Anyway, the point is: it is what you take out of these kind of things.. not that they are evil in and of themselves..

Like eating red meat in the bible.. it is not an issue if you have no problem with it yourself.. but if you have someone with you who will be offended by you eating it.. then don do it! Like having a beer.. one beer might be nothing for you.. but another christian brother who is with you may stumble by seeing you drink.. and so you don do it!

The beer and the meat are not evil in and of themselves.. only what someone does with them.. like too much beer.. or sacrificing an animal .. and then knowing that others see the meat from the animal as forbidden to eat.. .and eating the meat in front of them.

So with Harry Potter.. it is fictional characters in fiction stories.. played on film by actors who are not real wizard or witches themselves. It only becomes evil stuff if someone thinks it is real stuff.. and tries to become a witch or wizard. The material isn't evil.. but the actions that you can do with it can be.

D

DaveScotland

Many things are not evil in and of themselves. Harry Potter is a fictional character played by an actor.. doing fake spells and other stuff. Same applies to the other actors in the movie.

So in itself.. the movie isn't really real evil.. just fiction and stories presented in a film media by actors.

It becomes something that leads to evil practices when it is taken and actually applied as if it is real.. for example.. kid's wanting to actually learn how to do the spells from the movie and reading up on occult practices.. or even adults doing this.

But others, like me, just sit and watch the Harry Potter movies like fictional stories with good acting, solid effects and good plots. We can forget all the witchcraft stuff.. just dismiss it.. and see it like a gun battle or sports.

Also.. all of the Harry Potter movies.. children aren't even the target audience. Teens are.. I would never take a kid under 12 to a Harry Potter movie. And I think the last Harry Potter movie will be something of a 15+ target audience.

Anyway, the point is: it is what you take out of these kind of things.. not that they are evil in and of themselves..

Like eating red meat in the bible.. it is not an issue if you have no problem with it yourself.. but if you have someone with you who will be offended by you eating it.. then don do it! Like having a beer.. one beer might be nothing for you.. but another christian brother who is with you may stumble by seeing you drink.. and so you don do it!

The beer and the meat are not evil in and of themselves.. only what someone does with them.. like too much beer.. or sacrificing an animal .. and then knowing that others see the meat from the animal as forbidden to eat.. .and eating the meat in front of them.

So with Harry Potter.. it is fictional characters in fiction stories.. played on film by actors who are not real wizard or witches themselves. It only becomes evil stuff if someone thinks it is real stuff.. and tries to become a witch or wizard. The material isn't evil.. but the actions that you can do with it can be.
yeah, Thats the conclusion i came to. judging by previews etc the movie looked a lot older than it is the kids are aged between 9 - 12. and i just used some veggie tales instead, God bless veggie tales always there in a ............ 'pickle;

But thanks for all the replies guys.

Jun 16, 2009

Yes it is just stories but witchcraft is still against what the Bible say. It is still against the faith that I believe in and God told me Harry Potter is wrong so I believe him it is wrong. If you wonder what the Bible say about witchcraft go to Detronomium 18 vers 10 and you will find the Bible clearly tells us to have nothing to do with witchcraft. Even if it is just stories it is still witchcraft and witchcraft is still wrong in God's eyes.

G

Groundhog

If you're going to ban Harry Potter, then you would also have to ban Lord of the Rings and a lot of fantasy stories, because they contain wizards, etc. Where does it end? Do we ban The Odyssey because it has other gods in it? In literature, it is the message that matters, not the messenger. Remember the parable of the "Good Samaritan," where Jesus makes the Samaritan (a group despised by Jews for being an unclean mixed race, but also for improper worship practices) the hero, rather than the priest or the Levite, in order to prove a point. Harry Potter is a fantasy story about good vs. evil, just like LOTR or anything else.

D

DaveScotland

If you're going to ban Harry Potter, then you would also have to ban Lord of the Rings and a lot of fantasy stories, because they contain wizards, etc. Where does it end? Do we ban The Odyssey because it has other gods in it? In literature, it is the message that matters, not the messenger. Remember the parable of the "Good Samaritan," where Jesus makes the Samaritan (a group despised by Jews for being an unclean mixed race, but also for improper worship practices) the hero, rather than the priest or the Levite, in order to prove a point. Harry Potter is a fantasy story about good vs. evil, just like LOTR or anything else.
great way of putting it Groundgog

Apr 23, 2009
If you're going to ban Harry Potter, then you would also have to ban Lord of the Rings and a lot of fantasy stories, because they contain wizards, etc. .
This sounds like a great idea

iwant2serve

Apr 12, 2009
Hi all. I have said that we must not take TV for more that what it is and that is entertainment. As harry Potter has a lot of magic in it there are other things on TV we allow our kids to watch thinking they are safer. Well if the show is not Christian based meaning straight out of the Bible then for the most part it is all for ratings. The motion pitcure business is for money and money only. With saying that we have to be sure our kids know the truth about any movie they watch and to discuss with them the reality and dangers of it. Make sure that they are old enough to understand what they are watching and what should be taken in. Remember if we take TV for total truth we allow ourselves to be decieved.

Jun 16, 2009
Yes tell them the Bible clearly tells us to have nothing to do with witchcraft.

C

carpetmanswife

1 samuel 15:22&23

Status
Not open for further replies.