Lesson 1: You are Loved

  • Thread starter Thread starter lost_suzie
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lost_suzie

Guest
You Are Loved

The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness” (Jeremiah 31:3)

T his is an intangible lesson but we all must learn it. Developmental psychology confirms we are designed to learn in the first two years of life that we are loved, and to trust and feel secure. People who don’t learn this inevitably struggle with emotional insecurities and relational dysfunction.

The same is true in relationship with God. As a boy I learned that I am loved. No one has ever chosen to be born or chosen the family into which they were born or adopted. The Bible says God created us in our mother’s womb (Psalm 139:13-16). He did this because of His love: In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will (Ephesians 1:5).

At whatever point we begin to grasp that we are loved, it is helpful to consider how we became a recipient of such love. The only biblical answer I can find to explain this is that God loves us because He loves us. This was stated by Moses in Deuteronomy 7:7-8a: The LORD did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. But it was because the LORD loved you.

When I entered this world my father was pastor of the Baptist church in Burnham, Maine. I joined my parents and eighteen-month-old brother, David. From the very beginning God showered me with gifts of life and love. The apostle John’s words are ever true: See what great love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! (1 John 3:1)

One of the first songs I learned as a boy was “Jesus Loves Me.” I sang it from my heart because I believed it was true. I still know it is true.
Jesus loves me!
This I know,
For the Bible tells me so;
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak but He is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.


God wants us all to know that He loves us.
How can we measure if we have learned this lesson? It becomes evident in three relational ways:
(1) in the way we accept His love for ourselves, finding comfort and peace and security in Him;
(2) in the way we love God in return, desiring to worship Him and express to Him our loyalty and devotion; and
(3) in the way we reflect His love to others, demonstrating His compassion and care, as a precious lesson taught by God to His children for the rest of life.

Life Application
Questions: 1. How do you know you are loved and what is the evidence that you know it?
2. If you believe that because of God’s love Jesus died for you, how does this belief affect how you see yourself and others?
3. What response is the Holy Spirit asking of you now?
 
Wow... Sometimes I forget that He loved ME before I was even born. I mean, why else would He have created me right? I've forgotten that amazing song...
Jesus loves me!
This I know,
For the Bible tells me so;
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak but He is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.
I will sing this everyday to remind myself that I truly am loved!

The first question: how do I know I'm loved? I never really thought about this since now. I know my family loves me for who and what I am, even if we fight, or don't really communicate. I am lucky to have parents who accepted me back under their roof after my studies. Even after a year of struggling to get a job. I've felt God's love everyday, but somehow ignored it. And I hate myself for doing that. I would probably been happier a long time ago if I didn't.

I don't really know how to answer the second question... I mean, I truly doe believe that God does exist and that He has sent His only Son to die on the cross for each and everyone of us. the innocent AND the guilty. I would say I \m affected by this believe in a matter of even after all my sins, I KNOW God will always love me. No matter what.

And to answer the last question for today: what response is the Holy Spirit asking of me now... I would say... To be open minded, to not just open my mind, but my heart. As I am writing these words with tears rolling down my cheek, I really do feel warm inside. Happy even. He is my number 1 priority from now on!

My Prayer For Today:

Heavenly Father, today I am on my knees. Thanking you for forgiving me time and time again. I truly am thankful for Your love. You are my Daddy, my Best Friend and my Rock. I don't really want to ask anything from You today, but please let Your light shine through me. use my body as a temple to teach others Your word and \your love, because Your love never fails!
Amen