Liars for Jesus?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Extract from an article by Charles Colson, formerly Richard Nixon's hatchet man.

"Astronaut, John Glenn's return to outer space many years after his awe-inspiring orbit around the earth is a reminder of the kind of heroism that makes space exploration possible. What author, Tom Wolfe called the "right stuff."

What you may not know, however is that for many of the early astronaut heroes, the "right stuff" included deep religious faith. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin are best known as the first astronauts to land on the moon and take that "giant leap for mankind." But you probably don't know that before they emerged from the spaceship, Aldrin pulled out a Bible, a silver chalice, and sacramental bread and wine. There on the moon, his first act was to celebrate communion.

Frank Borman was commander of the first space crew to travel beyond the Earth's orbit. Looking down on the earth from 250,000 miles away, Borman radioed back a message, quoting Genesis One: "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." As he later explained, "I had an enormous feeling that there had to be a power greater than any of us-that there was a God, that there was indeed a beginning."

The late James Irwin, who walked on the moon in 1971, later became an evangelical minister. He often described the lunar mission as a revelation. In his words, "I felt the power of God as I'd never felt it before."

Charles Duke, who followed Irwin to the moon, later became active in missionary work. As he explained, "I make speeches about walking ON the moon and walking WITH the Son [of God]." Guy Gardner is a veteran astronaut who speaks in churches on the reality of God."

These men are among the 24 people who have left low earth orbit. Any one of them could have stated that the earth is flat, by their personal observation. They did not. Why? Because they are not liars and they saw what they saw. The earth is a sphere.

Depending on the what definition of "space" is used, about 550-560 people have been into space. If the earth is flat, everyone of them has to be completely deceived or a most convincing liar. And for what purpose? There are plenty of dumb conspiracies floating around. The "flat earth" conspiracy theory should be treated like a rabid dog and put down once and for all.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
I personally have no stake in whether the Earth is flat or round. But when I look at the moon, and see that it's obviously a spheroid, and how all the other bodies in space seem to be spheroid, it just seems weird to think the earth could be flat. And I'm pretty open about crazy physics ideas. You'd have an easier time convincing me that the earth is the center of the universe, and that the sun revolves around the earth, even though the rest of the planets revolve around the sun.

I don't really get flat earth thermodynamics (then again I haven't looked), but why would there be a ring of ice around the sea, and then an ice continent in the middle. None of that makes sense.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
I personally have no stake in whether the Earth is flat or round. But when I look at the moon, and see that it's obviously a spheroid, and how all the other bodies in space seem to be spheroid, it just seems weird to think the earth could be flat. And I'm pretty open about crazy physics ideas. You'd have an easier time convincing me that the earth is the center of the universe, and that the sun revolves around the earth, even though the rest of the planets revolve around the sun.

I don't really get flat earth thermodynamics (then again I haven't looked), but why would there be a ring of ice around the sea, and then an ice continent in the middle. None of that makes sense.
Nothing to do with flat earth ideas make sense. I don't know how you convince flat earthers. If you took them into outer space, they would just say that it's a trick, a fake video projected into the window of the space craft or something. I would hope that Christian flat earthers are amenable to to truth and reality. No one has told me that they've changed their mind as a result of my post. So I am not overly confident.

Jul 20, 2021
Extract from an article by Charles Colson, formerly Richard Nixon's hatchet man.

"Astronaut, John Glenn's return to outer space many years after his awe-inspiring orbit around the earth is a reminder of the kind of heroism that makes space exploration possible. What author, Tom Wolfe called the "right stuff."

What you may not know, however is that for many of the early astronaut heroes, the "right stuff" included deep religious faith. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin are best known as the first astronauts to land on the moon and take that "giant leap for mankind." But you probably don't know that before they emerged from the spaceship, Aldrin pulled out a Bible, a silver chalice, and sacramental bread and wine. There on the moon, his first act was to celebrate communion.

Frank Borman was commander of the first space crew to travel beyond the Earth's orbit. Looking down on the earth from 250,000 miles away, Borman radioed back a message, quoting Genesis One: "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." As he later explained, "I had an enormous feeling that there had to be a power greater than any of us-that there was a God, that there was indeed a beginning."

The late James Irwin, who walked on the moon in 1971, later became an evangelical minister. He often described the lunar mission as a revelation. In his words, "I felt the power of God as I'd never felt it before."

Charles Duke, who followed Irwin to the moon, later became active in missionary work. As he explained, "I make speeches about walking ON the moon and walking WITH the Son [of God]." Guy Gardner is a veteran astronaut who speaks in churches on the reality of God."

These men are among the 24 people who have left low earth orbit. Any one of them could have stated that the earth is flat, by their personal observation. They did not. Why? Because they are not liars and they saw what they saw. The earth is a sphere.

Depending on the what definition of "space" is used, about 550-560 people have been into space. If the earth is flat, everyone of them has to be completely deceived or a most convincing liar. And for what purpose? There are plenty of dumb conspiracies floating around. The "flat earth" conspiracy theory should be treated like a rabid dog and put down once and for all.

The earth is not a spinning water ball. Let's start a discussion on this