"liberal" and "conservative" Protestants.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Scotth1960

".. "liberal" and "conservative" Protestants both pride themselves on moving beyond what

they regarded as the unnecessary constrictions of Holy Tradition and apostolic authority,

into a utopian world of individualistic Bible interpretation, social change, millennial prosperity

and personal freedom, based on the idea of "Sola Scriptura." (1)

"It was, after all, in the name of Scripture that Anabaptists became anarchists as they

searched the Word and received "messages" direct from God which told them to burn

property deeds in the name of a new, improved, egalitarian Christianity. It was Scripture

that convinced Quakers to abandon baptism, Eucharist and sacramental church weddings

in favor of do-it-yourself desacralized, "hand-fast" marriages. It is in the Bible that

today's rapacious T.V. "evangelists" find verses with which to confuse people into giving

them money. It was in the Bible that David Koresh found arguments to convince his

followers to obey him, even to burn themselves to death in the Branch Davidian

compound in Waco, Texas, on April 19, 1993. The Bible is the primary witnessing tool

with which Mormons confuse ignorant Protestant, Roman Catholic and Orthodox

Christians into abandoning Christianity and joining their nineteenth century cult. And the

"liberal," secularized leaders of the World Council of Churches, that colluded with the

Communist persecutors of Christians, often quote the Bible to justify their coercive,

utopian political crusades.

"SCRIPTURE

"Today, confused and well-meaning Protestants of all denominational persuasions, having

little or no historic foundation at all, take Scripture -- in other words, their interpretation

of Scripture -- as their only source of spiritual authority. They replace the historic

Church's Holy Tradition with themselves -- personally. Each individual becomes his or

her own "ecumenical council," "bishop" and "priest." Each is a law unto himself as he

reads the Bible and claims, "God is speaking to me." This fervor of individualized faith is

practiced outside of the context of the historical Church. Each Protestant claims to base

his or her ideas -- which are often contradictory one of another -- "on Scripture." The

battle cry, "Sola Scriptura" often turns out to be nothing more than the final verse to the

song "I Did It My Way!"

"Unfortunately, Protestants do not read the Bible in the context of Christian history. They

more often than not study it in a historical, liturgical and spiritual vacuum. Yet it is the

historical Church, out of which the Bible came that alone provides us with the contextual

key to begin to understand the meaning of the Scriptures. And it is only in the context of

the living continuity of sacramental worship, through which all Christians in all ages of the

Church are bound into one family, that the Gospel comes to life and is given its proper

place." (2)

(pages 194-195: DANCING ALONE: The Quest For Orthodox Faith in the Age of False

Religion. Frank Schaeffer. 2002. Salisbury, MA: Regina Orthodox Press.).

Notes.

1. In this regard the work of the twentieth century Protestants on the political and

theological Right, like Carl Henry, J.I. Packer, and others, is just as ahistorical as the

theology of the Protestant Left. ...

2. "What is the Bible? Is it a book like any other intended for any occasional reader, who

is expected to grasp at once its proper meaning? Rather, it is a sacred book addressed

primarily to believers. ....

God save us in Christ our Saviour. AMEN. In August 2011 AD Scott R. Harrington

Jun 15, 2011
This is a very interesting and timely post for me personally, as I confess I completely reject the churches I have come across in Canada and done this due to my own personal bible readings. A question I would have though is given that churches (and any mass of people) are as likely to make mistakes as individuals are, where would this proper church inspired reading and interpretation come from? Further, given that various political movements have recognized churches as power points and deliberately set out to capture them throughout history, how would any proper interpretation of scriptures have survived? I very strongly believe that this last point describes how and why churches in Canada are as they are right now... and that others are not immune either as they cannot explain why basic morality from as recent ago as the 1950's has been completely turned upside down from then.

Jan 18, 2011
A question I would have though is given that churches (and any mass of people) are as likely to make mistakes as individuals are, where would this proper church inspired reading and interpretation come from?
Apostolic succession. (Note the Catholic and Orthodox Churches both claim to be in sole possession of this succession.)

Jun 15, 2011
Apostolic succession. (Note the Catholic and Orthodox Churches both claim to be in sole possession of this succession.)

Well I certainly don't see any greater biblical understanding from this process than any other denomination's reading of scripture, including the individual. Further, in the bible God himself chooses enough rugged individuals and societal rogues for his own purposes making one a little skeptical of committees of morality declaring men.

Jan 18, 2011
Well I certainly don't see any greater biblical understanding from this process than any other denomination's reading of scripture, including the individual.
Neither do I, I was just answering your question. In fact the process has resulted in a great deal which is contrary to the Bible.

R

Rosewater

Well I certainly don't see any greater biblical understanding from this process than any other denomination's reading of scripture, including the individual.
The greater biblical understanding, whether you agree or not, is in the mass and sacrements - these are pretty much uniform in the Catholic and Orthodox churches and to some degree the Anglican. Other Protestant churches, uhmm, not so much that I can gather.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Christianity is about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, with God. Everything that gets between you and this relationship is a stumblingblock. If the church helps you to strengthen your relationship with the Lord then that's wonderful. That's the one true church for you. But if your church says you must do works in order to please the Lord and you can only enter into relationship with Him after you have completed these works then your church is a stumbling block. It doesn't matter what name the church goes by, its either a stumbling block or its strengthening your relationship with the Lord.

The great thing about our church fathers is that they are very wise and knowledgable. However, if there words aren't in the bible then they are just giving you their advice and knowledge about God. And if their advice goes against scripture then they are wrong, and not scripture. The only way we could possibly know one way or another is to read the book for ourselves. Some churches say to just blindly follow them and don't try to interpret scripture for yourself, but what does scripture say?

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

God Bless You